free hit
counters
sport button - Page 3 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

sport button

Yes its called sticky tape! 😉

I think there is an override that stops the sport mode being enabled on a cold engine.  I've not tried pressing it on a cold engine, so I don't know if sport mode is enabled but revs are still limited until the engine is warm or if you have to reenable sport mode once engine has some heat?

I doubt the Lotus software has an option to always enable sport mode.  But maybe someone like Komotec who have cracked the Lotus ECU encryption could reprogram the throttle map for you?

And certainly if you use an aftermarket ECU like the SCS Delta in my car that can be programmed with what ever throttle map and rev limiter you want.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
21 minutes ago, agentdr8 said:

No, it's controlled by the ECU. The default setting at power cycle is to have it disabled. There are a few ways I can think of to mimic the button press in an automated fashion though. 

What are these ways ? Sounds like witchcraft to me ! 
so can my lotus centre do it or is the cost prohibitive ? 

No, I doubt Lotus has a means for this to be always enabled in the ECU. 

My thought is by using an Arduino or other microcontroller to mimic the actions that a physical button press perform. 

• Gold FFM

It's just a map, so why not? Your problem is that you would need someone to crack the Lotus encryption first and I don't think anyone has yet and the numbers aren't there to bother trying

• 1 month later...

While we're on the topic of sports buttons...

I've got a 2014 Evora S with valved 2bular exhaust. Is the following normal?

Sport mode ON:

• Idle = loud
  • Pulling away (upto about 2.5k rpm) = quiet
  • Anything over 2.5k rpm = loud
  • Motorway = loud

Sport mode OFF:

• Idle = quiet
  • Pulling away (upto about 2.5k rpm) = quiet
  • Anything over 2.5k rpm = loud
  • Motorway = quiet

So, the only difference seems to be at idle, and when motorway cruising.

I thought the sport button OFF would keep it quiet all the time, and sport ON would keep it loud all the time, no? I'll be honest, I find it a bit too loud personally. I'd like the option of being able to drive it in 'quiet' mode, but even with sport OFF it goes into loud/valve open easily

The engine protection valve (exhaust valve) will open regardless of Sport button setting when over 4700 RPMs. When Sport mode is enabled, the valve should remain open at all RPM ranges. 

• Gold FFM

I believe that the behavior mentioned by 92 spicer is correct. My Lotus unit on a 2013 NA SR (which I assume works the same) with sport button on is loud at idle/low revs quiet when pootling then you will hear it pssht at 2.5k and let loose. Quiet on the motorway. Exactly as you would want.

Note, I don't know when it gets loud with Sports button off... I only use that to move away from the neighbours

Thanks gents, interesting feedback. I have read of the 4700rpm transition but this doesn't seem to be the case on my car.

@TdMthe only difference being that I want it loud all the time with the sport button on( and quiet until high revs with sport off) 😄 It sounds silly to have it quiet as you pootle along, then suddenly get loud as you get marginally faster (it feels 'fake' if you know what I mean?). And it's still very loud not in sport mode (louder than I'd prefer).

The sport button at the moment basically turns it into drone on the motorway on/off

@agentdr8thanks for this. It all makes sense, however the last paragraph seems to not apply to my vehicle, which is the bit that I'm thinking is odd.

I'm going to try putting the stock exhaust back on in the next few weeks anyway, so will keep an eye on this and if it behaves the same way, and give you an update

Edited by 92spicer

• Gold FFM

The only part I believe that is a bit strange is that it's loud and drones on the motorway. I suppose that depends on what speed you are going but around the correct speed limit mine is quiet even with sports mode on.

I completely don't believe that the valve is always open with sports button on because I can hear it opening and closing at different revs (just wind the window down, it's quite loud)

Maybe 'drone' isn't the right word as the sound at 70mph is still acceptable, but it's definitely in loud mode (and quiet mode with sport off at 70mph). 

Yeah, agreed with your second statement. I'm just trying to figure out if this is normal or not. From digging around in a few other threads other peoples valve seems to work in the same way, so maybe this is normal