free hit
counters
Exige Roadster or Elise better for touring - Elise / Exige Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Exige Roadster or Elise better for touring

I am trying to decide between a touring pack Elise s or an Exige s V6 Roadster. These cars are not for track days, nor everyday, but weekends and some continental road trips. I would appreciate any comments from those with experience of both regarding ride, noise etc.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I recently tried all 3 ranges, Elise, Exige and Evora, and was asking myself similar questions to you (not looking for a track day car but something that would be exhilarating on the road and also all

Evora is the answer which springs to mind to that exact question. Not a convertible but it's the real GT car of the range and apart from (currently) being topless it's the car I'd want for that

In Sept '15 I did a European road trip, including a 3 day walking holiday, all in my Elise S Club Racer. The driving part was for 5 days during which I covered over 2,500 miles; the biggest day being

Very different cars, drive them both. The later Elise is a rev hungry monster, the Exige is hugely torquey and fast. You need to drive both to assess which one works for you :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Bibs

Thank you, my question is as a multiple lotus owner coming back to the marque from a good time away wanting a precise but useable road trip car which works best? Elise is great and historically exige was the manic cousin when I left the Lotus fold.

Sitting here today and ignoring everything else, you open the garage door (with your better half  ...important detail ) road trip to the italian lakes and accepting the Lotus 'compromise' would you take an exige s ROADSTER or elise s ?

Thats my question..?

Edited by Woodman

Evora is the answer which springs to mind to that exact question. Not a convertible but it's the real GT car of the range and apart from (currently) being topless it's the car I'd want for that sort of trip. I've done 1k mile plus weekends in an Evora and it really fits the bill and is epic fun for GT driving. 

If the insistence was a roofless trip, I'd be in an Exige Roadster though over an Elise for the power but if budget was an overriding factor, the Elise would be the choice.

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I've done a series of road trips in the Evora and can only echo Bibs' comment above.  Le Mans was a breeze, and North Wales was a doddle.

My OH was genuinely delighted to be in the Evora for a week of driving, and commented on how pleasant a place it was to be.

Don't be put off by the GT label though - an Evora is properly rapid and you can easily drive it *cough* progressively :)

If you're genuinely looking to drive long distances with the roof down, then either the Elise or the Exige will tick the boxes - albeit with some compromise.  Like Bibs it would be the extra power of the Exige that would sway me.

Where about's on the South Coast are you - if you're close enough would happily meet you so you can have a look at an Evora in the plastic?

I recently tried all 3 ranges, Elise, Exige and Evora, and was asking myself similar questions to you (not looking for a track day car but something that would be exhilarating on the road and also allow some touring/weekend road tripping).

Long story short, I ended up being the Exige S when I learned that taking the roof off and adding the Roadster's canvas roof fixing points was child's play (mine has had that conversion done). I went for the extra power and more extreme look (I prefer the spoiler) of the coupé. But that's just personal tastes.

I have already done some road trips in mine and have found it very comfortable and surprisingly practical. The car's small external dimensions make it a real practical supercar for me (I hate the sheer size of cars like R8s or F430s, which are dream cars until you actually own them and find you can't park anywhere or even hustle down a small country road). The boot is also deceptive in what it will actually take, in a good way. And the driving experience. Oh the driving experience!

But I should point out that my touring with the Exige S has been done on my own, using the passenger space as stowage/extra room. I have yet to try touring 2-up with the Exige and may find I yearn for an Evora Roadster at that point ;)

• Like 2

I haven't driven the V6 Exige (have owned two S2's) but currently have a 2015 Elise S Touring and prior to that an Evora (NA), also had two S2 Elises a while ago and the new version I think is much easier to drive distance then the old ones although I've ruined that somewhat by fitting a 7in 2bular exhaust which is to be honest a tad loud for touring with. The Evora on the other hand was a fantastic all rounder and I could see myself with another one in the future and was the only Lotus I've owned my Wife liked being in!

Would think the V6 Exige would be a great all rounder and is next on my wish list.........

43 minutes ago, Kip said:

The Evora on the other hand was a fantastic all rounder and I could see myself with another one in the future and was the only Lotus I've owned my Wife liked being in!

Err yes thats the problem, its the only one my wife was prepared to call a car!!! 

4 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

I've done a series of road trips in the Evora and can only echo Bibs' comment above.  Le Mans was a breeze, and North Wales was a doddle.

My OH was genuinely delighted to be in the Evora for a week of driving, and commented on how pleasant a place it was to be.

Don't be put off by the GT label though - an Evora is properly rapid and you can easily drive it *cough* progressively :)

If you're genuinely looking to drive long distances with the roof down, then either the Elise or the Exige will tick the boxes - albeit with some compromise.  Like Bibs it would be the extra power of the Exige that would sway me.

Where about's on the South Coast are you - if you're close enough would happily meet you so you can have a look at an Evora in the plastic?

Dave

You are pretty local, but I have only seen one Evora on the road 'in the wild' as such and that was up near Salisbury a couple of months back. However I have been down to Snows for a test drive and a crawl over but thanks for the offer. I'll have to get off the fence at some point..

We've regularly taken the Exige all over Europe, including transporting a couple of helmets and just about enough for 2 people for 2 weeks. It is tight and a cram but great.

Personally I'd want the roof off experience which would rule out the Evora (for now) if it was just touring and not track work. Torque and ease of driving for the V6 would do it for me... although the Elise probably more fun at sane road speeds.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

In Sept '15 I did a European road trip, including a 3 day walking holiday, all in my Elise S Club Racer. The driving part was for 5 days during which I covered over 2,500 miles; the biggest day being 12 hours in the car driving from Switzerland all the way back to East Anglia.

Key points for me:

- The seats were remarkably comfortable despite very little padding.

- I managed over 36 mpg for the whole week and I wasn't driving for economy! A key part was I could do 350 miles on one tank of fuel. My mate who has an Exige V6 manages around 200 miles on a tank!

- The luggage space was fine, a friend even joined me for the walking part and all  our stuff fitted in the boot and the cockpit (my stuff for 8 days, my friend's for 4 days).

- I spent a good amount of time on alpine roads with loads of hairpins - I really enjoyed the fact the car is quite small.

All depends on what you want. Not sure my wife would have wanted to join me as I doubt there would be enough luggage space in either an Elise or Exige for her alone!

• Like 1

Having owned an Evora Exige and Elise (*cough*Vx220) my ranking would be:

Evora

Exige

Elise

The Evora has the space, comfort and luxury that no other Lotus comes close to. You can harp on about how nice the Exige is, and how nice CF Elise Cup seats are - but none rival the Evora is luxury and pampering. That said, the lack of soft top etc is a selling point for the Exige V6S Coupe/Roadster. I've done as Steph has - Coupe with a soft top conversion. That said, touring with a soft top off and a boot full of clothes won't be a good combo...

The Elise wouldn't come into my choice personally, as the Exige does all the Elise does, but with more power and guts. I can't imagine it'll be much softer than an Exige on a motorway once you get out of the UK potholes. But again...The Evora would wins for your purposes.

There is an inevitable logic to all the replies  thank you. Perhaps the conclusion is that all cars are perfectly capable and if I were to be looking for a 'boy's trip' car then my preference would be the exige roadster, but having driven one with my wife, I know it would be a struggle to get her to enjoy it. She is short so looks through the wiper and doesn't see it as a proper car.

However if I want to do some road trips, she doesn't really 'get' the point - i.e if you drive to Wales, we should take the dog and go walking..... whereas I want to drive and do the EVO triangle etc. SO if its just a 'boys trip car, then the exige roadster.

However she really liked the EVora - a 'proper car', so she would come in that, but then probably wouldn't want to do road trips particularly anyway..... You just can't win.

I suppose I should wait for the Evora Roadster really or perhaps an Elise 220 Cup and a VW camper , then both are happy ;-)

I've had 3 Elise's and now Exige v6 roadster, the v6 definitely a step up, surpringly comfortable, plenty of power,  a great car and feels special  but not quite as nimble as Elise. My wife never really liked being in any of them!