free hit
counters
Advice on potential IPS fault - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Advice on potential IPS fault

Hi all,

I've been loving my new Evora! Couldn't imagine swapping for anything else (well maybe a 400!) now I've lived with it a month or so.

I so have a slight issue that I was hoping for some advice on..

It has the IPS gearbox which I've been pleasantly surprised with. Much quicker on both upshifts and downshifts than the reviews led me to believe. Nice and smooth in traffic too.

However - when I'm really pressing on I generally switch to sport mode and use the paddles - I've found that full throttle (or near to it) shifts from 3rd to 4th (and occasionally 2nd to 3rd) that the gear doesn't engage, it makes a nasty noise and takes a second or 2 of holding off the throttle before it sorts its self out and selects the next gear. I have Westover Sportscars looking at this now and they've not been able to find a fault - on the advice of Lotus they've checked fluid levels and updated software and I'm going to take it back today and see how it goes.

Has anyone experienced this before or have experience of auto gear boxes to know why this might be happening?

Cheers

Dave.

• 1 month later...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 26.1.2016 at 12:49, 62dave said:

Hi all,

I've been loving my new Evora! Couldn't imagine swapping for anything else (well maybe a 400!) now I've lived with it a month or so.

I so have a slight issue that I was hoping for some advice on..

It has the IPS gearbox which I've been pleasantly surprised with. Much quicker on both upshifts and downshifts than the reviews led me to believe. Nice and smooth in traffic too.

However - when I'm really pressing on I generally switch to sport mode and use the paddles - I've found that full throttle (or near to it) shifts from 3rd to 4th (and occasionally 2nd to 3rd) that the gear doesn't engage, it makes a nasty noise and takes a second or 2 of holding off the throttle before it sorts its self out and selects the next gear. I have Westover Sportscars looking at this now and they've not been able to find a fault - on the advice of Lotus they've checked fluid levels and updated software and I'm going to take it back today and see how it goes.

Has anyone experienced this before or have experience of auto gear boxes to know why this might be happening?

Cheers

Dave.

Hi Dave, unfortunately that is "normal behaviour" for the IPS in cold state.

I had a lot of issues with the IPS which could not be resolved, after a gearbox change I decided to sell the car.

So perhaps you will also need to accept all the bad experiences with the gearbox - pity about the otherwise wonderful car.

Cheers, Gernot

'76 lotus esprit s1 - monaco white ... '11 lotus evora na - aspen white Posted Image

Hi there - thanks for the reply. It's not happened since they updated the ips software so all good for now .. Fingers crossed the issues don't return 

I'm not sure about normal behaviour as mine has never made a funny noise on changes. You do get gearbox flare to a greater or lesser extent with all torque convertors when cold where it seems to have gone into neutral for a moment and the revs rise before engaging the next gear. The box fitted to the Evora will do this occasionally as it does in other cars it is fitted to. Mine occasionally does it on a cold pull away when going from 2nd to 3rd but not always and certainly not when warm.

I'd have to say with the latest software fitted mine is a fantastic gearbox and much better than the horrible manual I drove - admittedly MY11

I've never come across any funny noises with mine, but it does somtimes hesitate with the 2nd to 3rd change when cold.

About the only issue I've had is the very occasional stuck in 3rd gear which a re-start seems to solve.

Any idea when the latest gearbox software came out?

Edited by Jovver

• 2 weeks later...

I've not had this, but on the other hand, neither do I drive the car hard until the car is up to running temperature. The oil temperature is the key thing, not the water temperature. It usually takes about 10 mins + to get to a properly usable temperature in my experience. 

16 hours ago, Breeze said:

I've not had this, but on the other hand, neither do I drive the car hard until the car is up to running temperature. The oil temperature is the key thing, not the water temperature. It usually takes about 10 mins + to get to a properly usable temperature in my experience. 

Quite right.....  You've also got the 'engine at the back, radiator at the front' problem to account for. The water jacket in the engine will reach normal temp quite quickly but it will be some time before the full system is up to temp, particularly in winter. It is too easy to drag lots of cold water through the system and into the engine if you do not allow the system to warm up fully. This was one of the main reasons for head gasket failure on VHPD S1 Exige motors - thermal shock of dragging cold water from the front of the car when flooring the throttle immediately the water temp gauge shows 'normal' and replacing the nicely warmed water jacket with a fresh cold one!

Mike S