free hit
counters
Best paint for heater cowling, engine cover etc. - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Best paint for heater cowling, engine cover etc.

The cowling in the front compartment, engine cover, boot, engine bay side panels etc all seem to be painted with some kind of black mottle-finish paint.

Anyone know if a suitable aerosol paint is available for these areas?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

+1 for black hammerite aerosol. Resprayed all the engine bay side panels and engine cover on mine. A bit too glossy compared to original, but the finish is a good match. Can post a pic if you want.

I don't use anymore 1K areosol paint. The 2K system is hundred of time better as it's fuel-oil and thinner resistant.

Here from SprayMax you can choose the color and the grade of glossy, deep black 30% or 50% gloss will be the ideal choice.

I have used some SprayMax cans and they are great, it's a Standox paint in a SprayMax can, take a look.

http://www.nonpaints.com/nl/2k-ral-kleur-in-spuitbus-spraymax

Giorgio

37 minutes ago, giorgio67 said:

Here from SprayMax you can choose the color and the grade of glossy, deep black 30% or 50% gloss will be the ideal choice.

But this is a special hammer finish, not glossy or matt black. These areas dont need a fancy paint system, just something which looks like original. If Hammerite is close I will try that tomorrow. 

10 hours ago, Andyww said:

But this is a special hammer finish, not glossy or matt black. These areas dont need a fancy paint system, just something which looks like original. If Hammerite is close I will try that tomorrow. 

Hi Andy,

it's not a special hammer finish paint, it's just High Solid, means very low solvent and much more pigment. You can have these in five grade of glossy/mat finish, that's it. Anyway Hammerite looks good.

Giorgio

• 3 weeks later...

I was doing this yesterday. Mixed results really.

I found some black hammer finish paint in B&Q and tried that on the boot floor. It looked really good but didnt match the original, it was too grey.

Then I re-did it with Hammerite. This does not really look very good at all. It is absolutely black and very glossy whereas the original is slightly grey (but darker than the B&Q) and satin. It gives a really industrial look and I dont really like it much.

I might do some more searching but if I cant find anything better I will likely respray every panel in the engine bay with the B&Q stuff so they all match. It was a better result visually than the Hammerite.

They would not have used Hammerite on these originally, thats for sure, as it is a high-build slow drying paint and would not have been suitable for production.