free hit
counters
Charge cooler filling cap - Induction/Turbo/Chargecooler/Manifold/Exhaust - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Charge cooler filling cap

I have sent off some engine parts to the powder coaters for a freshen up, amongst them the Chargecooler.  Up until now Ive never managed to get the filler cap/plug off as it was siezed, but I thought to do the job properly it really needs to come off. Well with a pair of mole grips, long bar and plenty of heat it finally came off.  Thing is it's a bit chewed, does anyone know what thread it is, or where I can get a replacement?  I thought looking at it, it was 1/2" just like a domestic radiator blanking plug, but unfortunately not.  Any advice much appreciated, I can't believe I'm the only one who has struggled to get this off and chewed it up.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

It certainly seems to get a bite every now and again, and seems soft! Is it brass or something, maybe the problem is differential metals.

I'm getting some magnetic sump plugs made up, perhaps the same bloke could run up a few of these?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

• Gold FFM

I think it's probably a 1/2" brass fitting, but I stand corrected. I seem to recall having problems sealing mine, and ended up machining it to provide a decent flat surface, as the plug profile was flared between the brass flange and the thread, not flat. I think I used an annealed copper washer after that, and it finally sealed.

Just remembered that when I bought the car it had a mild steel plug. I don't know if that's what should have been fitted from new, although I imagine not.

Margate Exotics.

I changed mine, just because it looked a bit not so new, and I just bought one from Lotus. Brass. Never had trouble getting the thing off or not sealing propperly. Anyway, the dealer told me, it's hard to come by nowadays, so ring around, and I'm sure you'll find one. Eventually, If I find one more, I will have a few extra made.

Kind regards,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

Cheers Chaps.  Mine is definitely steel, and as you say Ian, it is slightly tapered between the flange and thread.  The more I think about it the more I think my leaked and was tightened up until it stopped.  I took my old one down to B&Q yesterday because it does look 1/2", but I couldn't get it to fit any of their 1/2" fittings, or radiators, (but it\s not the best thread in the world) because it does look like a radiator blanking plug, which you can get in brass or chromed brass.  I think I will wait until I get the Chargcooler back and for the sake of a couple of quid buy a flanged blanking plug and try it.

• Gold FFM

I found a photo of the original steel plug, and one I machined. I think it's a metric thread, perhaps M20 x 1.5, which is metric fine, BUT I cannot be sure. The plug on the left came from a Volvo marine engine (hence the green paint), you can see where I machined it to make a flat surface for a copper washer.

2016-02-01%2020.40.59_zpsg6yrbfl4.jpg

Margate Exotics.

Cheers Ian,  gives me something to go on.  I think I will take the old one to an engineering supply company I used a couple of years ago who made me some hydraulic oil feed lines for the oil coolers.

On 1/31/2016 at 23:09, Loose Cannon said:

It certainly seems to get a bite every now and again, and seems soft! Is it brass or something, maybe the problem is differential metals.

I'm getting some magnetic sump plugs made up, perhaps the same bloke could run up a few of these?

Magnetic sump plugs are available off-the-shelf, and are not very expensive.

23 hours ago, ian29gte said:

I found a photo of the original steel plug, and one I machined. I think it's a metric thread, perhaps M20 x 1.5, which is metric fine, BUT I cannot be sure. The plug on the left came from a Volvo marine engine (hence the green paint), you can see where I machined it to make a flat surface for a copper washer.

2016-02-01%2020.40.59_zpsg6yrbfl4.jpg

Well m20 x 1.5 or thereabouts confirms it's unlikely to be either off the Pipe options, as 1/2 BSP uses 3/4 tapping drill so must be a fair way over 20mm, similar for BSPT. Another confirmation is that 14 threads per inch is a fair bit more coarse than 1.5mm

http://www.newmantools.com/taps/bsp.htm

Now, NPT may be it but that seems to be similar to BSP.

So, final guess is AN, a thread used for lots of fittings. That seems to be 16 threads per inch in the 1/2 variety and has an external size of 3/4 (near enough 19mm )

12 hours ago, andydclements said:

Magnetic sump plugs are available off-the-shelf, and are not very expensive.

He's informed me that the GT3s 920 engine sump plug is different to the rest and can't identify the threads? Can you help shed any light on this?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

I'll dig out my copy of parts list, I hadn't realised they were different to the others, say SE, S4 etc.They'll surely be a standard part and a standard thread either sourced fro the parts bins of the then owning company, or a more general part.

p.s. Who in this case is "He"?

Edited by andydclements
add question

I think we have started to talk at cross purposes, as someone mentioned sump plugs.  Sump plugs are not my issue, its the cap on the chargcooler that looks like a sump plug.  I can confirm its not an M20 x 1.5 thread as I tried a sump plug of that size, and its too small.  Im going to Hydrafit in Wolverhampton today to see if they can match it, and I will report back later.

Yes Ian, M22 x 1.5

Now I know the size, Ive found what looks to be the closest thing to the original, a Ducati sump plug, from a Ducati Monster.  They are on Ebay for about £8.00.

Screen Shot 2016-02-16 at 08.42.14.png

Edited by ajheath

• Gold FFM

Good news, but just check that the washer seats properly on the charge cooler itself. I say this because there was a build-up of paint around the seat on mine, the washer I had was just a tad bigger than the recess formed, and it needed a little bit of scraping to get a decent seat, although not too much.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.