free hit
counters
Esprit v8 Ecu wanted - Page 4 - ECU/OBDII - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Esprit v8 Ecu wanted

Barrykearley

• Gold FFM

Shopping list now growing.......

been to garage - hateful bitch is incontinent in the fuel tank area.......

so the leaking qtr light window has banjod an Ecu and a fuel tank........

@Bibs you did warn me   :wallbash:

Only here once

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Barrykearley said:

Shopping list now growing.......

been to garage - hateful bitch is incontinent in the fuel tank area.......

so the leaking qtr light window has banjod an Ecu and a fuel tank........

@Bibs you did warn me   :wallbash:

Quit moaning, it'll be a doddle once you've got the engine and box out. Jimblob will give you a hand with the tank............

• Like 2

Margate Exotics.

• 5 months later...
On 08/02/2016 at 11:18, Bibs said:

Lotus won't be interested. This has been an issue for 5+ years now and they stopped building the cars 12 years ago. There are only 1,000 V8's so you can see for them there will be no business case to explore a solution.

I find this comment deeply disturbing.
What do lotus expect us to do? throw away a 50,000 euro car because they have no spares?

Given that the basic unit is essential for S1 Exiges, 340Rs and V8 ESprits do they really think there is no issue here?
It wouldn't take much invetsment to have a small stock of the EFi electroncs available that could be programmed to suit one of the above models (say 5000 euro).
THis sort of attitude would put me right off any future Lotus purchase:angry:

• Gold FFM

Nah - it's about scale and business return on a car this old chap.

A few grand and you could have a custom Ecu fitted I'm sure. Lotus do still (or did) have one un programmed Ecu on the shelf - pays your money takes you choice.

ring Ford and try and order a cosworth whale tail - you'll have no luck at all. Lack of parts would never put me off - there's a whole world of suppliers and opportunity out there

Only here once

18 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Lack of parts would never put me off - there's a whole world of suppliers and opportunity out there

Indeed, if there is a need then the market will usually respond - sometimes at a price. You may know that I'm working on a replacement ECM for the V8s, it's taking a while as it is a pretty complex job. I think that Barry is quite right...

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

28 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Nah - it's about scale and business return on a car this old chap.

The point was that Bibs said this has been a problem of over 5 years so effectively there was no back up for cars that were less than 7 years old. IF they continue with this form then maybe we will see the same issues with Evora 400s in 2022? That is unacceptable.
I realise I could go to Motech for a custom solution etc but that is another issue.
Even if you cant get a whaletail for your cossie, it's still driveable.....

Manufacturers have no legal obligation to support out of production cars, despite what many think. The fact you can buy many, many parts from the factory for very old Lotus cars, the fact they've remanufactured parts directly for us in the past and the fact they've run many parts sales for them sets them apart from lots of other OEM's. Go buy a Dino wheel for 80% off and I'll be impressed etc. 

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Pinned topic in the Lotus chat section . 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Kato, of LEW fame, once set up a website entirely dedicated to what you saw Ian! 

Evora NA

• 10 months later...

Has anyone got a dead or spare V8 ECM that they could lend (or give if it really is toast) me for examination on my low cost replacement project? It is for the greater good...

Happy to pay postage etc. both ways.

I don't even want to think about disturbing the working one in my car!

Thanks in advance.

I've been reading this thread --- my son has a dead Esprit V8 ECU. I sent  to two ECU services but can't revived it. Thank you for Barry  giving me some tip on other option.  Now that I know we can use an EXIGE/ELISE S1 and 340R ECU (if we can find one) this will be the best alternative. Send it to Bluestreak fix the chips and load the sport350 image.

Supposed we want to use a standalone ecu ? Can I use this adaptor http://www.emeraldm3d.com/emerald-k6-ecu-plug-and-play-adapter-lotus-exige-340r.html

and use the Emerald standalone ECU http://elise-spares.com/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=148  I'm sure we can dyno and map it.

Will this option  work?

Thank you so much!

Edited by Che

@Che, you have probably been looking at this the playground page:

http://wiki.the playground.org/a/Engine_Control_Unit

It is only the EFI MT-501 Elise/Exige ECM that will work on a V8 with the PROM swap. I have been talking to OBR (the only EFI distributors in Europe outside of Italy) about options for another US V8 owner with a dead ECM. The EFI Euro-4 would do the job although it is £1,500 a pop and you would spend at least another £1,000 on rolling road/dyno time, interfacing to the standard Bosch 88 pin harness connector etc, as Barry noted.

There is now also a US operation, if you want to go down that road:

OBR Control Systems in USA:

OBR Control Systems Inc
3500 Joslyn Road
Auburn Hills
Michigan 48326

T +1 (248) 672-3339
E [email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/11/2017 at 10:25, swindon_alan said:

Has anyone got a dead or spare V8 ECM that they could lend (or give if it really is toast) me for examination on my low cost replacement project? It is for the greater good...

Happy to pay postage etc. both ways.

I don't even want to think about disturbing the working one in my car!

Thanks in advance.

I'm sorted now thanks to Mike S.

@Che, Mike still has one ECM available:

https://www.lotusforsale.com/ads/lotus-esprit-v8-ecu-3-units-available/

• Like 1

• 3 months later...