free hit
counters
Evora gone, wtf have i done! - Page 3 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Evora gone, wtf have i done!

Beady

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Astons are pretty and sound nice, but reliability is a weakness. Interiors are a bit dated now and i hate all that stick a glass block in the dash  - power and passion bol***ks. Original V8s are not quick and ride is rock hard. Had two 997's and I wouldn't go back in a hurry. I scratched the childhood 911 itch but never quite worked out why I bought the second one having not been bowled over by the first one! Sold it pretty quickly.

For an every day car the Evora is better sounding and much nicer to drive. I am waiting for the roadster but thinking about an elise s or V6 s /roadster in the meantime.

Unlikely to do much if any track but want something that feels really special when you get it out of the garage but you can still drive to Lands end in. Evora - certainly  V6 s not sure? 

How much did they quote to get you through the MOT last year?! :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, Advantage said:

In what way is reliability a weakness of the V8 Vantage? Of all websites to be careful about regurgitating false rumours about a marque's reliability you'd think a Lotus centric site would be the most considerate. 

When I was researching a DB9 purchase I did look into the V8V too and on a number of occasions I came across concerns re teliability, but most things were small or minor irritations to be honest. I agree you'd think Lotus owners would throw those stones elsewhere. Rather slag of Porkers and their engines going pop as that is not a minor irritation :)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

On 5/2/2016 at 21:38, Beady said:

6. Maserati Granturismo - looks epic but interior looks very dated

Drive it. Over the past few months I've test-driven Ferraris, Porsches, McLarens, BMW i8 etc and the Maserati GranTurismo was the biggest surprise I never saw coming. Judging this car just by photos will be a bigger mistake than judging an Evora as uncomfortable because it's a Lotus.

• Like 1

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

• Gold FFM

Dated!  I think it looks gorgeous from the inside. Compare it to the angular boxy interior of a cayman or 911!  It's like the original Evora and envelopes you. Love it and I'd defo have the Maser before any of the non Lotus options mentioned. 

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I keep looking at the Maserati and my daughter keeps telling me to buy one but I'd not be able to run it properly. With many parts cross referencing with Ferrari and also dealer sharing facilities with Ferrari, it won't been cheap on parts and servicing. Low MPG too. For me, it would have to be a weekend car but I wouldn't swap my Esprit for one! I was looking at changing my Evora but I use my Evora as a daily driver, so couldn't make the numbers work.

I am not sure how you'd feel about the weight and size of car compared to the Evora? The early ones weren't even particularly quick neither, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, my NA is quicker than that. In fact I have a diesel Audi which is quicker than that!

I think for now, I'll keep hold of the Evora especially as it's hardly costing me anything and it's still holding it's price.

• Gold FFM

I'd never admit to having a diesel Audi. Street cred gone there Dave - apart from at the Golf club but they mostly know nowt about cars anyway... :)

Aston reliability is not great. Three friends Astons always seem to be in the garage. Both Vantage owners have had new gearboxes - one lasted only 8k! lots of alarm immobiliser problems, electric windows not closing etc. They are still a beautiful design - much better than that db10 bond car . Two friends with popped main rear seals on Porkers. The point being that being expensive doesn't necessarily mean reliable. Buy a Honda if you want reliability. The concept we all have of German reliability doesn't stand scrutiny now. BMW are finishing near the bottom of surveys....

I went from an Evora NA, to a V8 Vantage Coupe for 2 years, then into an N420 roadster. 

For me the Aston was simply a scratch I had to itch.. Or is it the other way round?! :)

The couple was absolutely faultless, solid, and surprisingly cheaper to run that expected. I was £600 for a dealer service and £650 for four OEM tyres fitted. Averaged around 23-24mpg. 

In all honesty, the Evora is the better car in almost every way, apart from the looks (subjective I guess) noise, interior and badge. The drive, handling, brakes, throttle response, ride comfort etc are all Evora hands down. I really miss mine.

I was tempted by the 400 when I changed to the N420 but the inevitable depreciation put me off. 

Both are great cars, both with trying. 

Aston is a great experience to own, but the Evora is great to drive. 

Edited by Justin182

5 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I'd never admit to having a diesel Audi. Street cred gone there Dave - apart from at the Golf club but they mostly know nowt about cars anyway... :)

You'd be surprised by this car, it has 320BHP and 480ft/lbs of torque. Just as quick as the Evora off the line and on the move it's even quicker. 45MPG too!

In fact, have two Audi diesels BTW, an A5 3.0TDi and an A6 3.0BiTDi. I've owned the A5 for 5 years and it's been the best all rounder car I've ever owned.

9 hours ago, superdavelotus said:

I keep looking at the Maserati and my daughter keeps telling me to buy one but I'd not be able to run it properly. With many parts cross referencing with Ferrari and also dealer sharing facilities with Ferrari, it won't been cheap on parts and servicing.
I am not sure how you'd feel about the weight and size of car compared to the Evora? The early ones weren't even particularly quick neither, 0-60 in 5.2 seconds, my NA is quicker than that.

This is exactly what I thought before I test drove one. Once you get going the car feels much smaller and lighter than it is, and it definitely doesn't feel like it's lacking in power. I test drove the newer 4.7L one which is still slower than my Evora S, but the acceleration felt so much more effortless whilst also feeling more meaty.

As for costs, if you can get a relatively new one the servicing is actually quite reasonable. I asked the dealer how much servicing costs and he showed me the servicing schedule - every odd year is ~AU$800 and every even year is ~AU$1600. So on average, about US$900/yr. Scouring the forums for common long-term problems and it's largely limited to slight flaking of some interior plastic surfaces, and the occasional fallen headliner which needs to be stuck back up.

Do not discount this car based on preconceptions. Go test drive one and talk to the dealer and get some real numbers.

7 hours ago, Woodman said:

Aston reliability is not great. Three friends Astons always seem to be in the garage. Both Vantage owners have had new gearboxes - one lasted only 8k! lots of alarm immobiliser problems, electric windows not closing etc.
BMW are finishing near the bottom of surveys....

I had shortlisted the V8 and V12 Vantage S models but decided not to after I noticed that recently sold ones kept popping back up on the market within a few months. One owner even had the audacity to upload his carsales listing with pictures of the car in the workshop getting fixed.

FWIW my daily is a BMW 428i gran coupe and it has been flawless. 7 years ago I also had a 125i coupe and it was also flawless. Satisfying as a driver's car? No way, especially when compared to the Lotus :) But still, flawless and reliable.

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Better get car shopping soon then :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Lotus is the target yes - Evora S or Exige S favourites...budget wont run to 400.

Just the one though. Although I fancy a restoration car (or maybe campervan)

and I have indeed added extra concrete in the slab to take a car lift in future

Still very sad about losing the stormtrooper but at least its clearly gone to very good home.

construction and property consultants : My company

• 1 year later...