free hit
counters
Looking for an Elite/Eclat - Wanted - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Looking for an Elite/Eclat

• Gold FFM

When looking for something to replace my ill-fated Esprit, I seriously considered an Elit/Eclat/Excel. After testdriving a late Excel, my mind was quickly made up and I ended up getting another Esprit. But that doesn't mean I forgot about the others. Now I'm in a position to add another classic to the collection, and so have resumed the search. The Elite we saw at Hoffmans helped in no small way. :-)

I found this one online: http://www.preloved.co.uk/adverts/show/610481889/1981-lotus-eclat.html?utm_source=newsnow&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=trovitcars

All the info I can find, including on TLF, indicates there never was an official JPS edition of the Elite or Eclat, only promotional cars with JPS paintwork. Which would explain the very reasonable price. And it still is a great looking car! My first encounter with Lotus was a JPS pedal car, so it does bring back memories. Unfortunately, it's just a bit to far to just pop over for a look. So if anyone has any information about this car, I'd be very grateful. Similar cars for sale are also greatly appreciated of course. I don't mind some electrical or mechanical work, but don't have any experience when it comes to bodywork.

Thanks,

Filip

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

no, it looks classy because it's a Lotus eclat.... 

Thanks. Thought I really wanted an Elite so travelled all over the country looking at six or seven that all had 'issues' and that Eclat came up just 10 miles away from me so went to have a look 'just

If only there was a "don't like" button!

Posted Images

I don't even think there were "promotional cars with JPS paintwork".

There were black eclats and black elites that owners put gold lettering on.

I think that is GerrardJPC's old car:

he said it didn't run too well and suspected a carb/iginition issue I think....

I think you will find that advert was place around a year ago. That site is really bad for displaying out of date adverts.

:) 

It's getting there......

• Gold FFM

Thanks for the info Duncan! I remember that topic, just need to refresh the details.

33 minutes ago, TAR said:

I think you will find that advert was place around a year ago. That site is really bad for displaying out of date adverts.

:) 

Feeling quite silly now. :sofa:. And a tad disappointed. I didn't see a advertising date, but it does say '234 days ago' in small print at the bottom.

So the search goes on!

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, mikeeech said:

You don't want an éclat... Get an elite. Far better looking and rarer!:getmecoat:

I do, I do! Only that rarety has a price, and I'm not that big on either funds or patience. ;-)

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, mikeeech said:

If only there was a "don't like" button!

What's not to like? I'd be over the moon if I could find either for a reasonable price. :wub:

• 4 weeks later...

Paul,

Thanks - you've just reminded me why I have one in the shed (that I can't access at the moment!)

Sorted ones of these look EPIC imo - that one certainly does

One day their appeal has to become more widely appreciated.........

1979_lotus_elite_504_4.jpg.cc798be902796

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

• Gold FFM

Eclat's, Elite's. Does it matter. The thing is they are both great in their own respect. All that matters is another saved and to be enjoyed. It's the same old adage. Buy the best you can afford and have someone who probably knows the car give you any history that's available. Me, I would have an Eclat or Riviera, or if I could find one, a late Excel.

• 2 weeks later...
On 1 March 2016 at 17:11, oilmagnet477 said:

Paul,

Thanks - you've just reminded me why I have one in the shed (that I can't access at the moment!)

Sorted ones of these look EPIC imo - that one certainly does

One day their appeal has to become more widely appreciated.........

1979_lotus_elite_504_4.jpg.cc798be902796

I went dowm to Brooklands to look at this car.  It was as nice as in the pictures.  I wasn't the omly one to think so as it sold for £7,500!

S4 Elan, Elan +2S, Federal-spec, World Championship Edition S2 Esprit #42, S1 Elise, Excel SE

That sounds like a pretty reasonable price for a decent car. Getting a typical elite to a good standard will cost that since, typically, they have been unloved for a long period.

Keep talking guys. Got an Eclat Rivera surplus to my requirements but been sitting in my garage with bent valves for too many years. Bought another head years ago too. You're giving me the enthusiasm to go sort it.

Looked nice when it was running but foam backing to headlining has rotted so it's dropped and dash leathercloth is curling up at the edges..

As for 'Elite v Eclat' ...

When we had kids I thought about an Elan+2 but went for a Scimitar GTE SE5, then a SE5A, and then went looking for an Elite that I thought looked a flatter wider version but found it wasn't actually an 'estate car'. Looked at plenty and ended up with my Eclat Riviera. Wide enough for two boys in the back and a baby seat between hung over the centre tunnel.

I wouldn't worry about body style but go for a 2.2 engine with Getrag gearbox, definitely much better than the earlier 2 litre cars with Lotus box and Austin Maxi gear clusters. Engine bhp same but torque on 2.2 starts much lower down and makes overtaking much quicker.

ECLAT profile1.jpg

ECLAT front.jpg

Edited by phil flash
  • Like 1

Phil           Leave me alone I know what I'm doing - I think. 

1 hour ago, phil flash said:

Wide enough for two boys in the back and a baby seat between hung over the centre tunnel.

:thumbsup:

That red Riviera looks epic. Hope the world has changed cos when I was selling a very nice S2.2 3 years ago I had about 2 enquiries!

That orange/yellow Elite just looks wierd - another car where the wheels don't sit centrally in the wheelarches - badly fitted replacement chassis or the wrong size tyres IMHO.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream