free hit
counters
Looking for an Elite/Eclat - Page 2 - Wanted - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Looking for an Elite/Eclat

Escape

8 hours ago, phil flash said:

Keep talking guys. Got an Eclat Rivera surplus to my requirements but been sitting in my garage with bent valves for too many years. Bought another head years ago too. You're giving me the enthusiasm to go sort it.

Looked nice when it was running but foam backing to headlining has rotted so it's dropped and dash leathercloth is curling up at the edges..

As for 'Elite v Eclat' ...

When we had kids I thought about an Elan+2 but went for a Scimitar GTE SE5, then a SE5A, and then went looking for an Elite that I thought looked a flatter wider version but found it wasn't actually an 'estate car'. Looked at plenty and ended up with my Eclat Riviera. Wide enough for two boys in the back and a baby seat between hung over the centre tunnel.

I wouldn't worry about body style but go for a 2.2 engine with Getrag gearbox, definitely much better than the earlier 2 litre cars with Lotus box and Austin Maxi gear clusters. Engine bhp same but torque on 2.2 starts much lower down and makes overtaking much quicker.

ECLAT profile1.jpg

ECLAT front.jpg

I had a scimitar 5a and then a 6a and like the 6a better but always like the elite for the same reasons - looked flatter by virtue of the aspect ratio of the rear screen

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

Thanks for all the suggestions and great pictures. I haven't visited regularly the last couple of weeks and my search is a bit on hold, but I do continue to enjoy the great examples posted here. 8-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

21 hours ago, Loose Cannon said:

That orange/yellow Elite just looks wierd - another car where the wheels don't sit centrally in the wheelarches - badly fitted replacement chassis or the wrong size tyres IMHO.

Your right - it does look weird - like its too short. I think it is a slight goldfishbowling from the camera lense however - look at the parallel lines ont he shutter behind and to me they look bowed?

Someone took a picture of my old excel at Brands that was similar - it looked like the rear wheel was tucked in. I checked it out in the flesh and it was fine - just lense effect.

Slightly off topic - but a lot of people don't realise that the eclat has a larger boot than the elite and it can carry more stuff. Sounds strange, but its true.

Wide angle lens can really distort things too...   the boot on my Eclat looks enormous in this shot but you're right, Eclat has more capacity than Elite, and filling it up doesn't restrict the view to the rear.

ECLAT ava.jpg

Phil           Leave me alone I know what to do - I think. 

I did prefer shape of the Elite but i'm warming to the Eclat, i remember when i was going to buy my Elite thinking it may be quite practical, fold the seats down an get my bike in the back etc, was amazed to find the tiny boot and glass partition, bought it anyway and love it.

Driving through town one Saturday i heard a kid shout "LOOK, A LAMBORGHINI" :lol: 

Go on Phil, you know you want to get it sorted.

I'm only sorry it wasn't within my capabilities or budget but a 2.2 Riviera has to be well worth the effort.

Having seen her in the flesh, she has the capability to look as cool again!

I still think a properly sorted fuel tank could facilitate the removal of the glass panel to make an Elite a true hatch back to rival the Scimitar 4/5/6 but have yet to prove the concept.

Would be interesting to understand why this wasn't properly resolved during production, I strikes me that it would have made more sense. Whatever, I love both but the Elite just pips it for me.

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Hi Ant

I'm working towards it.  Just put new lighting in garage and now replacing garage doors with roller doors from a firm in 'Narwidge', 1 done, 2nd tomorrow, and got rolls of pvc flooring to go down so the garage will look like the lair of a James Bond adversary.  1st job is to fit new alternator on the Elan, 2nd is fit hubs with removable discs, 3rd is replace head on Eclat and get engine going.  I'm fed up pushing it in and out of the garage 

Are you going to the Bird in Hand on Monday?

1 hour ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Go on Phil, you know you want to get it sorted.

I'm only sorry it wasn't within my capabilities or budget but a 2.2 Riviera has to be well worth the effort.

Having seen her in the flesh, she has the capability to look as cool again!

I still think a properly sorted fuel tank could facilitate the removal of the glass panel to make an Elite a true hatch back to rival the Scimitar 4/5/6 but have yet to prove the concept.

Would be interesting to understand why this wasn't properly resolved during production, I strikes me that it would have made more sense. Whatever, I love both but the Elite just pips it for me.

The scimitar got critism back in the day since the fuel tank was where the elites spare wheel is and rear end collisions had a high risk of ending in tears

15 minutes ago, mikeeech said:

The scimitar got critism back in the day since the fuel tank was where the elites spare wheel is and rear end collisions had a high risk of ending in tears

Another thing about the GTE's fuel tank hanging out behind the back axle was the change in handling when you'd just filled up, particularly noticeable in the wet. Big wedge shaped steel slab that was supposed to be 17 gallons but when they got old the bottom sagged and they'd take even more - suddenly an extra cwt hanging out the back !

Totally awesome car!  That's a fine looking Eclat and you've got the Rivera which was the best of the best.  And your car has the Speedlines, which was an option on the Elite of the same year IIRC.

Enjoy your car :)