Web
Analytics Made Easy - Statcounter
Split rim Compomotive rebuild - Page 3 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Split rim Compomotive rebuild

Rob

You should PM Jo.  I Know they are in a container on the way to the USA. If he knows you want some he will then add you to his list for when they arrive.  There are a few people who want them but hes not sure how many sets he has left.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Dave

I have placed a new batch order and hope to have them delivered to my USA address by early April. If they are not with me by the time I return to the UK I'll post them out from the USA when I return on the 15th April.

Sorry for the delay, supplier issues!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi everyone, my new batch of M6 aluminium washers have arrived. I will be in the UK between the 7-14th April. I'll pm those that have expressed an interest shortly...

7cw7QtX.jpg

ZV3pYeQ.jpg

bdvwaeD.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Hi Kev, thanks for your interest, DM sent.

• 1 month later...

I have a few sets left, I'll DM you soon...

• 7 months later...
On 25/06/2019 at 14:30, Final Edition said:

I have a few sets left, I'll DM you soon...

This is my first post here. I’m restoring a set of CX500s and I would love to pick up a set of your washers. Please let me know the best way to handle it. 

Justin, Sacramento 

(708)980-0163

Hi Justin, I'm based in San Francisco nowadays so it will be easy to get some washers across to you. I'll PM you shortly, I think I have a few sets left.

1 hour ago, Final Edition said:

Hi Justin, I'm based in San Francisco nowadays so it will be easy to get some washers across to you. I'll PM you shortly, I think I have a few sets left.

Thank you! If you have the decals, I would get a set of those as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

My bolts have gone rusty any others had this issue? I’ve bought now black stainless but they snap. Peed off. Has anyone got a supplier for black high tensile m6 cap bolts that don’t rust. Going to have to do mine again ☹️

Hi Jason, it's a dilemma when rebuilding Compomotives. You either fit stainless steel bolts and accept they are more brittle or install 12.9 tensile steel ones and paint them black after installation to protect them from rust.

I have fitted both in the past. Realistically stainless steel ones are fine. I torqued mine to 25 ft lbs but I've heard Compomotive originally only quoted they should be tightened to around 18  ft lbs. Mine never snapped and would be adequate for all conditions unless you over-steered into a curb! What value did you torque your bolts to? 

When fitting 12.9 tensile steel bolts the black coating offers little corrosion resistance, hence the need to paint them after installation to cover them from the elements.

Hi, I fitted all high tensile and they rusted. Planned to replace with stainless and took 2 out. Planned to re do them one at a time in the hope the seal wouldn’t be broken but tyre went down. Tried tourqing them to 26 but they snapped. Now plan to put the high tensile back in with lots of mastic hope they seal and paint them. I’ve a 10 mom paper punch. Will make a template to fit over just the bolt heads mask off and spray with hammer it’s smooth satin paint from a. Rattle can. Hope it works. J

• 2 months later...

Most SS bolts you can buy are nowhere near strong enough for the loads induced when torquing or the loads seen in operation. I will not use them in structural applications on any car. They are good for adding a little bling to your car. 

I did some quick lookup for you to show the difference:

image.png.bb5fe9e7601b169a8ac0827252bea987.png

image.png.f691b5ac10c4d350362e1f7bdbece771.png

Stainless Steel 18-8 bolts:

image.png.a85a5ce5ed8319e7d3b90f66629a18b6.png

image.png.24142a27d00348487f3ee67d1e14c7ea.png

From this we can see that 18-8 SS (304SS) commonly used in off the shelf bolts is only about 20% the yield strength of a 12.9 bolt.  Please take them out of your wheels. 

Edited by jcslocum
  • Thanks 1

Jon - 1984 Esprit Turbo

Interesting info. I have now taken them out of the wheels and made a template to mask the wheels leaving the bolt heads showing and have sprayed them with satin black hammerite. 

90637DC9-A5B5-4B82-8382-D534BF3068F1.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for your interest Gary and Molli. I have a new batch of washers built up, PM's sent.

• 8 months later...

i have made these wheels several times now. I use a 4 mm round nitrile rubber cord glued at the end to fit the slot. No sealant at all on the faces. Then when the wheel is bolted together smear sikaflex in a band over the joints. Leave for 24 hrs before putting tyre on. When inflated the sikaflex is pushed into the gap and makes a perfect seal in addition to the rubber bead. I have had no leaks using this method and its very easy to dismantle the wheels later if needed. Tyre can be removed and replaced, but then there is a risk of leakage, depending on how they installed the tyre. 

• Like 1