free hit
counters
Split rim Compomotive rebuild - Page 2 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Final Edition

Split rim Compomotive rebuild

Look forward to seeing the finished results with the comps fitted with the lettering,  yum,yum :wub:, yes ski racks not everybodys cup of tea :)

A

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Nice work Jo. Will you put sealant between the faces again before bolting up or just silicone after assembled in the joint?

I never had any loss of pressure with my last set Steve, but this time I have decided to install a rubber bead in the centre section to reduce the possibility of leakage even further. This place sells a plethora of o rings if you wanted to have a similar system to the original Comps;

https://www.polymax.co.uk/o-rings/

However, I have bought 4mm rubber bead to lay into the center groove. It's considerably cheaper that way and the ends will be encased in silicone anyway (so air shouldn't pass through). I will use it in conjunction with silicone on the faces before I bolt the wheels up then add a bead of silicone around the mating edges afterwards.

I'll post some pix in the coming days...

• Like 1

On 01/05/2016 at 10:22, Final Edition said:

All finished and back on the road! Tyre pressures holding and running great, not sure how 20 year old rubber will perform in the wet but I'll enjoy having the Goodyears while they last.

IMG_6408_zpsnbwueqw1.jpg

IMG_6405_zpszizg0ojd.jpg

236dd618-4196-4d23-9392-cf6fe76c857e_zps

Stunning colour combo. Pity it's worth and image has been vastly reduced by the new owner selling the wheels for a fast buck.

received_10154628020157345.jpeg

• Like 1

I take it this is Tocus old esprit ?  I know he sold it,  but did he sell it with the comps then the new owner sold them on ?

A

No he sold the Compomotive wheels a month or so ago, as with them he was asking a typically high price.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

I take it this is Tocus old esprit ?  I know he sold it,  but did he sell it with the comps then the new owner sold them on ?

@Final Edition did a great job with this car, although far from perfect.

It was the first Esprit Turbo I'd seen on the road, and it certainly commanded some road presence on that early evening last summer. Although he was sad to see it go, I know he has more exacting plans for the future ...

FB_IMG_1470756458480.jpg

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 2

Thanks Jo, look forward to seeing the pics and the project as a whole.

They look great! only the compomotive sticker needs to go on the rims, and its complete!

great! what a nice looking car that will be!

my wheels / car are still for sale, so if there is any interested guys send me a PM

They look fantastic Jo. I'll be starting mine in about 6 weeks once I have the car parked up where I want it. My fronts are slightly different with the faces mounted on the outside with the bolts sunk into the faces and no washers. I saw this also on a dry sump with a chassis number close to mine so obviously from the factory like this but don't see many with this configuration. I'll see what awaits me once they're apart!

20170104_150904.jpg

• Like 2

You're doing a great job @Final Edition

Painstaking work.

I'd certainly recommend you for wheel restoration and carb rebuilding.

Why go anywhere else?

• Like 1

Your new Esprit Turbo @Final Edition will look fantastic.

You've put so much work into it.

I can't wait to see it.

Hi ! Nice work whit the washers. Do you got any in stock? I need 80 of them if you want to sell? // iam from Sweden and rebuilding a set compomotive :-) / Roland 

• Like 1

Thanks Roland, PM sent.

Hi Jo nice work with the alloys....im in the middle refurbing my own set....been looking for the washers in black everywhere but no luck any chance in supplying a set of 80 in black if you have or give me info on where i could buy a set from please..

Batur

I believe Jo is now in the USA and not seen him on here for a while.  I will send him a facebook message for you.  I think he got all the washers made in China but will check for you.

Hi phill i would appreciate if you could send him a message im in desperate need cant find these washers anywhere im kind of stuck...cheers

Joe is definitely in the USA I have his email so can get in touch if required. He is a lovely chap and I am sure he will help you out if he can 

Hi Batur

Sorry for the delay in relying, I'm on Pacific time nowadays, working and living in Portland, Oregon, USA.

Yes, I have a few sets left. They are currently in a shipping container along with my household goods. The container should be delivered early March so I'm afraid they won't be available for a while. I'll be in touch when they arrive.

Hi where did you source the bolts and shouldered nuts from? How much are the spacers and stickers you had made? Thanks lyndon 

1981 Turbo Esprit

esprit-avatar-lew.jpg

Hi Lyndon

Better to send Jo (Final Edition) a PM.  The coned washers came from him along with Compomotive stickers.  

I shall be using black coated stainless steel M6 x 40mm cap heads.  The washers and nuts on the back will be stainless but not black coated.  Not bought mine yet but all available on ebay.

Hi Joe.

I'm currently rebuilding a set of compomotive cx400's in Australia. You seem to be the only one I've seen with washers. Love your work. I'm after 80 if you are able to help.