free hit
counters
Feb 2016 - Best Evora Battery Replacement - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Feb 2016 - Best Evora Battery Replacement

C8RKH

• Gold FFM

Hi all. So it looks like my 2010 NA Evora needs a new battery at last. Anybody recently purchased a new battery, has any recommendations, knows anything about these things?

Anything I need to know / watch out for as I change the battery?

Many thanks in advance.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

The OEM Varta seems ok, most people replace like-for-like. Don't hook it up the wrong way round, verify the polarity with the markings on the case, twice :)

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Thanks Bibs - know what the number part number / spec is?  You know I'm daft when it comes to this stuff ;)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Go for the Varta Silver Dynamic (not the Blue Dynamic) as it's higher capacity at 74Ah. It's the E38 according to the service invoice I have from when B&C fitted a Silver Dynamic to my Evora in 2014.

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

8 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Hi all. So it looks like my 2010 NA Evora needs a new battery at last. Anybody recently purchased a new battery, has any recommendations, knows anything about these things?

Anything I need to know / watch out for as I change the battery?

Many thanks in advance.

That was a new battery in Mayl14 !! The original failed less than a month after I got the car in April 14 so Craig refunded the cost - really surprised if it's failed again already. 

Edited by j2 lot

• Gold FFM

Hi Keith, it was my fault, the car had been laid up for 7 weeks, and to start off I was starting it up once a week and letting it idle for 10-15 minutes, but this last 3 weeks I've been busy and not had a chance to start it. Went to garage yesterday and the battery was almost totally dead.

So, bought a conditioner yesterday. Battery was so bad it tripped an error as not able to recharge to an acceptable boost within 300 minutes. Reset it all this morning and put it back on Auto Charge and just went out to the garage. Battery showing 100% on the conditioner so put the key in, gave it a turn and she barked into life first go!  Phew!!!!

Lesson learnt, now that I have the battery conditioner I'll be using it. Will monitor it over the next few weeks to see how it goes.

Only problem now is that the windows don;t drop when you open the doors. Guess I need to play this weekend to reset them.

As I've said on anther topic, love this forum for the support, access to "old" owners etc ;)

• Like 2

Yes, a battery conditioner is a must have if the car isn't a daily driver. I had a near miss with the Europa S I had before the Evora where I had the battery very nearly go flat but I caught it in time (a combination of cold weather and alarm system drain over a couple of weeks of not using the car).

When I bought the Evora from B&C part of the deal included a conditioner (I've got the Airflow that Lotus also sells as a badged version).

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

• Gold FFM

I got one of these Ring 12A conditioners, comes with a 5 year guarantee and rugged rubber cover! Fully automatic and has four diagnostic tests to check battery voltage, start power, alternator performance and battery capacity. Probably will never use them, probably will not ever learn what they are. But, will sleep safer knowing I have them.... hahaha....

116453.jpg

Big relief it started as it's off to Craig Moncrieff on Monday for a full brake check, fluid change and callipers painted red. Front splitter, TPMS, and a few other little bits n' bobs including fitting my stainless mudguard brackets.

That's a new one. Good to know that there is another alternative to the CTEK and the Airflow. :thumbup:

Edited by EuropaSman

Ah feel your pain Andy - mine stalled as I parked and then wouldn't re-start. It was due the 1st year service so I booked it in for the next week with a bit of a strop about reliability, then put the battery on charge so I could take it in. Only to notice  when it was charged up  that the interior light was on so that may have been the cause........ Whoops 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, EuropaSman said:

Go for the Varta Silver Dynamic (not the Blue Dynamic) as it's higher capacity at 74Ah. It's the E38 according to the service invoice I have from when B&C fitted a Silver Dynamic to my Evora in 2014.

Sounds like it's the same battery on the NA as on the S.  The Blue is the OEM one and the Silver is physically identical but higher capacity and longer warranty.  Lots of sellers on ebay.

The windows are an easy fix.  Sat in the car with the doors shut wind one window all the way down and hold for a couple of seconds, then wind it all the way up and hold for a couple of seconds - you should hear a faint click.  Repeat for the other window.

• Gold FFM

Thanks for this. Just been out this morning and re-connected the conditioner, battery showing 100% charge, so looks like I caught it just in time, before it died completely.

• 4 weeks later...

Working in the airline industry I know that Li-ion batteries are a hot topic quite literally (thermal runaway leading to fires and all that). I'm happy to stick with lead acid and the extra weight, so that my Evora doesn't end doing an impression of a self combusting Porsche 911 GT3. :lol:

• Like 1

I think you'll find a certain aircraft manufacturer did the Li-ion battery industry a huge disservice and there are many safe Li-ion batteries out there now whereas lead acid batteries can explode and sometimes do! I'm just looking at the Ultrabatt MultiMighty Li-ion system for my Evora... permission to proceed almost gained.

Ah, you're talking about the battery company beginning with a Y and the Dreamliner. I was thinking more in terms of laptops, personal electronic devices and the like that have had Li-ion battery issues, and aircraft accidents due to cargo fires with devices containing Li-ion batteries. You're absolutely right that lead acid batteries can explode too (overcharging state), but there again any rechargeable battery has the potential to explode/catch fire, some more than others.

For me the weight saving of a Li-ion battery on my road car doesn't seem worth it - I can always save weight by not filling the petrol tank to the top :).

Each to their own opinion and maybe I need to work a bit harder on irony :lol:.

Perhaps someone should start a 3kg Li-Ion race batteries for Evora thread?

Off to hide behind the sofa now.

:sofa:

Not worrying about carrying around an extra 13 or 14 kg in a Lotus is just not in the Chapman spirit :o.  Part of having a Lotus is getting weight obsessed - something the new management seem to understand with some of the new focus on adding lightness.

For an OEM battery replacement, go for Varta E38. I got mine from Tayna Batteries via ebay for £65.85 delivered next day. It's the same dimensions as the E43 but more powerful and has a longer guarantee. I fitted mine earlier this week and I am really pleased with it.

As for the lightweight battery option, has anyone here fitted one? If so what make and part number please?

RE: Not worrying about carrying around an extra 13 or 14 kg in a Lotus is just not in the Chapman spirit. Calm down this isn't SELOC! Seems the tongue in cheek bit about not putting as much fuel in was missed :lol:. Chapman used to under fuel the F1 cars to reduce the weight (much to the annoyance of some of the mechanics as the they lost more than one grand prix due to under fuelling - have a read of the Lotus 49 book by Michael Oliver- cracking book).

To qualify my statement about the weight saving, in real world terms I feel that the Li-ion battery technology is quite there yet for road cars (see my basic man maths comparison below) otherwise the mainstream manufacturers would be putting them in every thing from Dacia Sandero upwards right now. Gav's made a really good point by the way. However, with the tech getting safer moving away from lithium cobalt oxide to lithium iron phosphate it will come. For now I'd rather compromise on weight for reliability. Just a quick thing I remember from other threads about weird electrical glitches on the Evora when the battery gets low, so again I'd rather trade weight for reliability (and do a lot more lift and coast!). Like Dave though I'd like to hear about people's experiences having fitted one.

Here's the man maths to compare as close as l could like for like based on specs available on the internet Li-ion (Ultrabatt MultiMighty) versus a conventional car battery (Varta E38). I’ll let you make your own conclusions.

9 x Ultrabatt MultiMighty

Capacity: 54Ah

CCA: 810A

PCA: 1080A

Mass: 3.87kg (let’s say 4kg)

Dimensions: 270x114x90

Cost: about £555

Varta Silver E38

Capacity: 74Ah

CCA: 750A

PCA: Not given

Mass: 17kg

Dimensions: 278x175x175

Cost: £65

Edited by EuropaSman
I didn't spell check again!

Ooops! Yes I have haven't I. :lol:

4 hours ago, EuropaSman said:

RE: Not worrying about carrying around an extra 13 or 14 kg in a Lotus is just not in the Chapman spirit. Calm down this isn't SELOC! Seems the tongue in cheek bit about not putting as much fuel in was missed :lol:.

No problem - I knew you were being tongue in cheek, and I was too. Although for my own car I do try to make everything lighter in the spirit of the great man. I then find it makes no appreciable difference, but I convince myself that it must be making a difference even if I can't judge it...

There is a bit more of a weight saving in that the battery tray is steel and heavy, and supported on bolts and spacers that are heavy steel. With a lithium battery it's possible to have a lighter duty tray and aluminium spacers and bolts more in keeping with the Lotus philosophy.

The MultiMighty fits the man maths as you can buy one a week with the potential that this use of pocket money is not spotted.

I think the reason these lighter batteries are not used by mainstream vendors like Ford, VW, GM and Fiat is to do with cost and educating users as they do behave differently to Lead acid and could result in more warranty claims if the owners don't appreciate the difference and don't invest in new Lithium battery chargers.

• 2 months later...

For those who are interested this is the Ultrabatt MultiMighty option installed in my Evora. I've been using it for a couple of weeks now and seems to be doing an excellent job with no issues. Wires on the rhs are for a battery tender. Sorry about the picture quality - poor light and a quick snap from my phone, but I'm sure you all get the idea.WP_20160523_10_25_27_Pro.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Am hopefully taking delivery of my new 410 next week, complete with Lithium Iron battery. On my previous Evoras I have used a trickle charger as I am usually away for a few months at a time. Have been reading that Li Fe batteries retain charge and that I will not need a charger - any thoughts / experience / advice?

many thanks