free hit
counters
Feb 2016 - Best Evora Battery Replacement - Page 2 - Engine & Ancilliaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Feb 2016 - Best Evora Battery Replacement

If charged and isolated such that there is no charge being drawn from them then Lithium batteries will hold charge for a long time and don't need a trickle charger.

If it isn't isolated and the car is drawing current for the clock, alarm and so on, then it is arguably even more important that you get an appropriate Lithium battery charger/mantainer. I'd say it's more important because the value of the battery is much more than a standard battery and the capacity is lower.

I have a Lithium battery in my Evora and don't leave it for more than two or three days without putting it on the maintainer. I went for the Optimate Lithium as it seemed about as good as they get and was recommended by a couple of the Lithium battery manufacturers.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Hi Keith, it was my fault, the car had been laid up for 7 weeks, and to start off I was starting it up once a week and letting it idle for 10-15 minutes, but this last 3 weeks I've been busy an

Ah feel your pain Andy - mine stalled as I parked and then wouldn't re-start. It was due the 1st year service so I booked it in for the next week with a bit of a strop about reliability, then put the

Working in the airline industry I know that Li-ion batteries are a hot topic quite literally (thermal runaway leading to fires and all that). I'm happy to stick with lead acid and the extra weight, so

Posted Images

@Danelaw is precisely right. Lithium batteries are great and I deal with them in film all the time (most cameras use them), but they aren't perfect. Their voltage tends to drop off a cliff when they get low, so good to keep it topped up if parking it for more than a week or so I'd say.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

1 minute ago, trcm said:

Lithium batteries also struggle in the cold (below about 4C), something to bear in mind...

This is true, but I'm told a standard technique for very cold weather is to put your lights on for a short time and the less severe current flow is apparently quite effective at warming the battery ready for the draw of the starter motor.

I've not yet had to do this myself, and I find it goes against what I was taught as a 17-year old to start the car before putting any other drains on the lead-acid battery. In my case I went for a slightly over-specified Lithium battery such that I should have a bit of current in reserve for the colder weather starts.

• 3 months later...

How long should the varta batteries last if kept on a tender and looked after?

Alos, if s battery dies a few times but is hooked up to a tender/conditioner has it effectively had it?

For those with a 410, is it just a different battery or is the cabling configuration also changed? Which OEM battery have they put in? Any photos? I'm interested in why this is a £1k option.

Thx

• 4 weeks later...
On 25/03/2017 at 10:02, mawheele said:

For those with a 410, is it just a different battery or is the cabling configuration also changed? Which OEM battery have they put in? Any photos? I'm interested in why this is a £1k option.

Thx

For OEM fitment you'll need the latest battery tray to fit the SuperB battery. You'll also need the link harness, battery cage/bracket and the SuperB control unit. This is arrangement is attached to the SuperB battery so interchangeable with the standard battery. You will also need a special battery tender for the Li-ion battery.

• Like 1
  • 1 year later...
On 22/04/2017 at 03:12, mawheele said:

Anyone had an opportunity to take a photo of the install in the 410 yet?

Here you go!

A beautiful install... saves many KG. 

Evora Sport 410 Lithium Battery.jpg