free hit
counters
Euro question - 23rd June - Page 104 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Barrykearley

Euro question - 23rd June

11 hours ago, JG220 said:

This is just as interpretative as your accusations of my postings. 

$1T of assets have been moved out of London since the Brexit process started (that’s about %10)

https://edition.cnn.com/2019/01/07/investing/brexit-banks-moving-assets/index.html

On the other hand, Fintech investment is at all time high and that’s brilliant for us.

https://qz.com/1549956/investors-are-shrugging-off-brexit-and-pouring-money-into-uk-fintech-startups/

So it’s probably a bit more mixed that your statement. 

None if this is black and white. I’m very happy to celebrate the successes, but just imagine how much further on we would be if we had not spent £2b on Brexit. 

https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/summary-costing-brexit

I wouldn’t underestimate the other European nations either, and certainly wouldn’t couch them in those terms. Germany and France especially. 

The people vote to leave the EU was not about money.  I don’t understand when everyone boils it down to that!

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

For the greedy and disgraceful it’s all about money.

for the normal hardworking folk - it’s all about principle. The MPs and business have sold out to the greed and money chasing unsustainable constant growth.

come the revolution 

• Like 1

Only here once

Completely agree. You only need an economy to support the population and the population is too big. I’ve been saying this all my adult life. 

However I always have to admit that I am also a hypocrite as we have 3 kids. 

This tickled me and is slightly on thread so thought I’d take a picture for this thread. 

C4AD351D-650B-4D05-A2C3-04F0186036B0.jpeg

• Haha 1

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

24 minutes ago, Colin P said:

Completely agree. You only need an economy to support the population and the population is too big. I’ve been saying this all my adult life. 

However I always have to admit that I am also a hypocrite as we have 3 kids. 

It’s ok.  If we were able, we would probably also be hypocrites. Mind you the one costs me a fortune.  Bloody horses😫😫😫😫

We need a cull followed by stringent population controls. I know it sounds extreme or harsh, but the reality is too many people on the planet.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

6 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

We need a cull followed by stringent population controls. I know it sounds extreme or harsh, but the reality is too many people on the planet.

A cull? FFS Didn't Hitler try that?

• Haha 1

A 'cull' might be extreme and evoke way too many issues around war crimes and historical events but let's face it, when Hitler was in power, I suspect life expectancy didn't extend much into your 60s, never mind 70s and 80s. Whilst I wish no one ill, having a Mrs who works in a Hospital, it is evident that as a society we have become obsessed with keeping people alive for the sake of it because life is 'sacred'.

If someone is old and to all intents and purposes fit and healthy and enjoys a good quality of life then do your best for them but I simply do not understand the policy of keeping people alive at all costs. My MIL spends all day sitting in a chair, is generally bloody miserable, has advanced diabetes, heart problems, limited mobility and the beginnings of dementia yet receives enough meds a day to support a small 3rd World country. Just stop the meds and manage her end of life in a dignified manner.

And before you say it, I'm not being mercenary. We moved her from Lancashire (where she lived alone) to Norfolk over 3 years ago, after her 4th fall and built her a bungalow style building in our Garden. There is little money left except what she receives as a modest pension. Yes, we have gained a building in our garden but we would never have done this had we suddenly found ourselves in receipt of £150k. If she had been in a home (which no one wanted as an outcome) we would likely have spent £85k per annum to pay for her care.

Maybe slightly 'off topic' but over population has many causes and I fear we worry to much about the little things that will ultimately make little difference whilst ignoring the elephant in the room.

There are at least 650 people in Westminster who no one would miss - it would be a great start............

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Sorry, bad use of a word and no I was not putting forward anything sinister from the past. Apologies if it came over wrong. The point I was clumsily trying to make is that we need to reduce the population on the planet. As people die ( hopefully naturally and at a grand old age) we need to be having less children. So in effect the population is culled or managed lower. We cannot continue to grow our infestation of the planet. 

Of course, the issue there is that older people generally have more care needs and that approach is counter productive as we shift the age democratic to the right, compounding the issue is that people are living longer, so you have more old than young people to look after them. 

Any solution is not going to be easy, but the total answer is not just down to less consumption, we need to accept that the issue is we are a plague that is consuming the planets resources too quickly and unsustainably.

Anything else is in my opinion just trying to sugar coat or deny the real issue. Too many people. Too much consumption.

And I suspect the issue is further compounded as we all want to live long, happy, healthy lives and consume resources for fun and enjoyment. Me included.

@oilmagnet477 i agree with you 100%. Great post in my opinion. I loved how at the start you thought a cull too extreme but finish with, er, a cull. Lol.  On a serious point, we do raise several excellent points re our "sanctity of life" and I do believe we need to have some adult conversations on the points you raise. 

I recently watched a much love Aunts life being decimated by a horrible disease. She was a wonderful lady. Full of life. A friend to everyone and a pillar of the community. By the end she had lost her sparkle, zest, dignity and any means of movement or communication. It was distressing. She was 72.

I have vowed that I will not end up that way. If that is the prognosis I'll be buying a one way ticket to dignatas but I'll be doing it while I can myself, as the issue is if my wife or children helped me then in this country they could be prosecuted. All because of an outdated view on the sanctity of life and a western view of life to be preserved however limited it is and at a huge cost (financial and emotional) 

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Big companies and governments - they need more consumers. Hence why the EU absolutely love the mass immigration from Africa. Where else could you get a massive immediate supply of adult consumers 👍

Only here once

Here's an interesting statistic. The average age of a human in the UK is 40 years old. The average age of a human in India is only 27 years old,  yet there are 1.3 billion of them and increasing by 1.2% year on year. Our little island won't make much difference to the world's resources.

The UK governments of the past 30 years love immigration as it increases economic growth, which we are told is a good thing. Although its not.

China has cancelled one-child policy and certain religions increasing in popularity promote having large numbers of kids. In some countries, women from lower social classes believe its their function to serially produce as many kids as possible throughout their fertile lives.

Its a global issue but largely ignored while golbal warming gets huge amounts of attention. 

I have discussed this with some left-wing people and their reasoning is that all of these people dont consume much, so its all OK. That seems a crazy argument to me because China is consuming more and more. For example Chinese people now use air travel so much they are building 50 new airports and expanding 300 more. While people lie down on runways here if we want to build just one more runway.

I'd have to agree, I could be a nice thing taking granny and grandad down to the local extermination clinic  for a lethal injection on their 80th birthdays. 

1 hour ago, Steve V8 said:

I'd have to agree, I could be a nice thing taking granny and grandad down to the local extermination clinic  for a lethal injection on their 80th birthdays. 

Oooof. And people think I'm harsh.

1 hour ago, Andyww said:

their reasoning is that all of these people dont consume much, so its all OK

That's the problem with middle class left PC Brigade. Their thinking is shallow and it just beggars my belief that tgey don't understand the issues. The established affluent western middle class consume vast quantities of resources. The explosion in growth of the affluent middle classes in The BRIC countries especially, but also the Middle East, other parts Asia and even Africa is creating the same volume of consumption per capita but at hugely increased numbers of people in the category.

It really is a global issue but greed, business profits and backhanders are the short term goal of the few that will kill the many.

3 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

80 I think that’s 10 years too much. Lol

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Andyww said:

I have discussed this with some left-wing people and their reasoning is that all of these people dont consume much, so its all OK. That seems a crazy argument to me because China is consuming more and more. For example Chinese people now use air travel so much they are building 50 new airports and expanding 300 more. While people lie down on runways here if we want to build just one more runway.

"Left wing people" and "crazy argument" in the same sentence???

Who'd have thunk it!!

• Love 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

On 12/03/2019 at 19:36, Mark Blanchard said:

Failed again.  

If no deal is taken off the table tomorrow then the Government is not representing the people.  Expect civil unrest, yellow jacket style.

https://www.express.co.uk/news/uk/1101090/brexit-news-uk-transport-lorry-drivers-brexit-block-uk-motorways-brexit-delay-article-50/amp

9 hours ago, LotusFella said:

80 I think that’s 10 years too much. Lol

Oi I resemble that remark

• Love 1

hindsight: the science that is never wrong

And here starts the civil unrest

Only here once

On 15/03/2019 at 19:10, PhillC said:

A cull? FFS Didn't Hitler try that?

Traditionally, as the population has expanded beyond what could be sustained at the time, a cull has happened. When population density exceeded limits that medicine couldn't sustain then there would be mass infections, when population exceeded what poor levels of harvest could be achieved in bad years, then people starved, or when population either just go too dense for comfort or even good years of harvest were not sufficient, then wars happened. 

So, yes Hitler tried that but not just by religious / racial persecution but more generally by the military actions designed to spread out the area that he & his followers could claim. 

10 hours ago, pete said:

Oi I resemble that remark

You’ve had a good innings then 😂😂😂