free hit
counters
Euro question - 23rd June - Page 122 - General Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Barrykearley

Euro question - 23rd June

Recommended Posts

I

20 minutes ago, martynw said:

But this js a terribly unfashionable view, so you can all tell me to f*** off.

Not at all Martin, I see you are from London, your view is probably hugely fashionable there, as it would be in Scotland. The problem seems to be most of our broadcasting associations and media are based in London, most of our MP's live part time work and socialise in London, but London does not share the opinion of the rest of the country, we the majority outside the M25 are sick to death of hearing the doom and gloom, Brexit car crash, off the cliff, do or die propaganda coming from within the capitol every day.

Please take a look at the voting map of the UK to see the huge proportion of the country that voted to leave, those MP's who represent that huge proportion should do so, and if they have lost their careers and salaries for refusing to uphold a referendum result, then that's the least they deserve.

Let me give you another example of how out of touch London is with the rest of the country... Anti semitism within the labour party, that was headline news for weeks, as if it were the end of the world. Being from outside London it means absolutely nothing, I don't think I've ever even seen a Jew let alone needed to hear about anti semitism every day.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
4 hours ago, scotty435 said:

But I do like to give most people enough credit to accept they are doing what they think is best for people/the UK.

But that doesn't seem to include actually doing what the majority of people in the UK asked them to do! So I have to disagree with you and say that they are selfishly following their own agenda, not the direction from their own constituents. The best example of all re this being John Bercow the remain biased Speaker who has refused to take a neutral view and instead abused his position to undermine our very own PM and Government. Or have I missed the point?

  • Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least three of the rebels are not even standing next time. Bercow, is a disgrace, he is so clearly biased that he is not fit for his role. 

The lot of them are unfit to serve us, we deserve better. 

  • Like 1

Amateurs built the Ark

Professionals built the Titanic

"I haven't ridden in cars pulled by cows before" "Bullocks, Mr.Belcher" "No, I haven't, honestly"

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

At least the brixiteers have a plan all the remainers have is no to everything


hindsight: the science that is never wrong

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, pete said:

At least the brixiteers have a plan all the remainers have is no to everything

No deal. No plan. No clue. No problem. Just get on with it. It will be what it will be.  None of us have a fully functioning crystal ball to see into the future.

I'm also getting a tad fed ul with people hiding behind "bullying" comments when actually all the Government is actually trying to do is follow the current legislation enacted after a democratic vote!

Remainers have been the bullies, led by Bercow.  They have consistently bullied their point and have point blank refused to acknowledge the will of their constituents as well articulated above.

 

  • Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

they don’t want a no deal Brexit but don’t say what deal they would like or do or what deal the EU would agree to. 

they forget that May’s deal was rejected 3x!

media never follow up no deal supporters with questions on what happens after a further extension .. 

no one talks about what a deal actually looks like .. just that there must be deal

it’s like saying: I am hungry but I won’t eat!

I reckon Johnson will win a strong majority to allow him to finally sort out Brexit 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I see that Mr Blocker is at it again. He is now being presented with the election he has been craving for the past 12 months and wants to block the motion. Jeez, what a prat that guy is. An opposition party without a leader, just a blocker.

One Labour MP suggested this morning that Corbyn is running scared of a GE since they would be 30 points up in opinion polls if it wasn’t for Corbyn, and that he needs to step aside to enable Labour to govern.

What is that Labour slogan “Labour for the many not the few” It needs extending by “and Corbyn all for himself”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

I

Not at all Martin, I see you are from London, your view is probably hugely fashionable there, as it would be in Scotland. The problem seems to be most of our broadcasting associations and media are based in London, most of our MP's live part time work and socialise in London, but London does not share the opinion of the rest of the country, we the majority outside the M25 are sick to death of hearing the doom and gloom, Brexit car crash, off the cliff, do or die propaganda coming from within the capitol every day.

Please take a look at the voting map of the UK to see the huge proportion of the country that voted to leave, those MP's who represent that huge proportion should do so, and if they have lost their careers and salaries for refusing to uphold a referendum result, then that's the least they deserve.

Let me give you another example of how out of touch London is with the rest of the country... Anti semitism within the labour party, that was headline news for weeks, as if it were the end of the world. Being from outside London it means absolutely nothing, I don't think I've ever even seen a Jew let alone needed to hear about anti semitism every day.

Wonder if I wasn't being clear enough. I didn't express a view - fashionable or otherwise - on Brexit itself.

The unfashionable bit was sticking up for MPs who I still believe usually do what they think is best, not what lines their pockets/advances their careers etc etc. It's true that it was triggered by things written about the 21 yesterday who far from benefitting have likely ended their careers, but I also think it applies to most of those taking exactly the opposite view.  I'm pretty sure sticking up for MPs isn't fashionable inside or outside of the M25.

And on Labour/AS, the idea it was in the headlines because it was tearing the capital apart is nonsense. It was in the headlines because powerful people in the media and politics made sure it was there.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe it’s about time there was a serious case of rioting outside the Houses of Parliament to stop these wankers getting in to vote

  • Like 1

Only here once

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

354 could be bothered to vote tonight on the question of should there be a general election. 

So where are the rest of these work shy skiving bunch of self serving arseholes??

1511886B-8D59-4AE9-ADD4-FD6A1A6A0CB4.jpeg.f03f30f178581d9f97515acd35977fd3.jpeg

  • Like 2

Only here once

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In a General Election, irrespective of turnout, the majority wins, assuming the winning party wins over 50% of seats (ie a clear majority over everyone else.)

So within Parliament, to call a GE (under the Fixed Term Parliament Act) a majority of 2/3rds is required.

Pardon me for not understanding how yet again it is one set of rules for us and another complete set of rules for those in Parliament but how is

298 v 56 not a significant amount over 2/3rds of those who bothered to vote?

Christ on a bike, we need some MASSIVE reform of our political system in this Country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

  • Like 2

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, pete said:

Labour abstained

A large percentage of the population 'abstain' during most voting opportunities in this United Kingdom.

I am however reminded that the BEST turnout in a recent vote was for leaving the EU. Fat lot of fucking good that did!

  • Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, PaulCP said:

I see that Mr Blocker is at it again. He is now being presented with the election he has been craving for the past 12 months and wants to block the motion. Jeez, what a prat that guy is. An opposition party without a leader, just a blocker.

One Labour MP suggested this morning that Corbyn is running scared of a GE since they would be 30 points up in opinion polls if it wasn’t for Corbyn, and that he needs to step aside to enable Labour to govern.

What is that Labour slogan “Labour for the many not the few” It needs extending by “and Corbyn all for himself”

As I pointed out yesterday Corbyn was always going to block a Johnson initiated election for the simple reason Boris could move the date of the election at will to post 31/10. Corbyn does not trust Boris. The election will come from a vote of no confidence in all likelihood so that the opposition control the date of the election. No poultry involved !

There is a difference between abstaining (which is a positive action) and not bothering to vote. Barry - lovely meme but factually incorrect.

Marc - your figures are incorrect for Bracknell - it was 54% leave not 70% and there is no SDP any more

Votes for Remain were: 29,888

Votes for Leave were: 35,002

 

35 minutes ago, oilmagnet477 said:

In a General Election, irrespective of turnout, the majority wins, assuming the winning party wins over 50% of seats (ie a clear majority over everyone else.)

So within Parliament, to call a GE (under the Fixed Term Parliament Act) a majority of 2/3rds is required.

Pardon me for not understanding how yet again it is one set of rules for us and another complete set of rules for those in Parliament but how is

298 v 56 not a significant amount over 2/3rds of those who bothered to vote?

Christ on a bike, we need some MASSIVE reform of our political system in this Country!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How is this one set of rules for us and another for them. Both apply to parliament and both are enshrined in law passed by parliament. 298 v 56 has already been answered above re abstentions.

I actually find the whole process fascinating at present (OK I should get out more) Watching Ken Clarke lambasting Boris this evening really does show just how big a hole Boris is in now. If I was a betting man I would say there will be an election in November and the new PM will end up negotiating a mildly revised transition deal with the EU over a few months, leading on to a trade deal negotiated over 2 years or so. As to who that PM will be …..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, gregs24 said:

How is this one set of rules for us and another for them. Both apply to parliament and both are enshrined in law passed by parliament. 298 v 56 has already been answered above re abstentions.

Sorry, I'd have thought it was obvious! They may both be enshrined in Law, it's just their law is different, or interpreted differently to us. Is an 'abstention' a vote? It isn't in my book, you appear to imply differently.

Abstention is a term in election procedure for when a participant in a vote either does not go to vote (on election day) or, in parliamentary procedure, is present during the vote, but does not cast a ballot.

so therefore tonight's vote was won by more than 2/3rd of those who voted. That is how public elections in the UK work so for Parliament to insist on a different set of rules means that there is a difference between us and them

  • Like 1

Is the price for that bit in Yen or £?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, gregs24 said:

Marc - your figures are incorrect for Bracknell - it was 54% leave not 70% and there is no SDP any more

Sorry just quoting the figures stated by Sky or BBC News (Can't remember which) - anyway still more Leave than Remain so the point stands. OK Lib Dems not SDP, I think most people got what I was stating.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, martynw said:

It was in the headlines because powerful people in the media and politics made sure it was there.

Please elaborate... You hold some diverse and interesting points of view, who are these people, and what is their agenda? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Steve V8 said:

Please elaborate... You hold some diverse and interesting points of view, who are these people, and what is their agenda? 

:ice::secret:


Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, oilmagnet477 said:

Sorry, I'd have thought it was obvious! They may both be enshrined in Law, it's just their law is different, or interpreted differently to us. Is an 'abstention' a vote? It isn't in my book, you appear to imply differently.

Abstention is a term in election procedure for when a participant in a vote either does not go to vote (on election day) or, in parliamentary procedure, is present during the vote, but does not cast a ballot.

so therefore tonight's vote was won by more than 2/3rd of those who voted. That is how public elections in the UK work so for Parliament to insist on a different set of rules means that there is a difference between us and them

Labour whipped to abstain so it was a deliberate act that influenced the outcome - if you like it, it was neither for nor against but by abstaining en masse it prevented the motion carrying. Very different to just not bothering to vote in parliamentary terms. General election is a first past the post system (simple majority) but FTPA specifies 2/3 of eligible voters. There are many different methods of conducting votes which are not any more or less valid - just different. There were various reasons the FTPA was introduced and one of them was to remove the PM's ability to call a snap election against the will of parliament. There is no their law and our law, just the law and differing methods of determining the results.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...