free hit
counters
bumpers - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

bumpers

I've tried and failed to find answer for this elsewhere on the site. Did all S3s have body coloured bumpers (with plywood) and turbos have black ones or is it a mix? My 83 S3 has body coloured bumpers and I wasn't sure if they were original. I quite like the look of the black bumpers...

I know that's not a very technical question but I'm sure someone must know the answer.

Cheers,

Scotty.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers Scotty :P

My bumpers are fibreglass with wood on the faces that join to the body. When I had the black bumpers it looked quite dated (perhaps that was the peeling rusty copper paint on the car though... :P). It looks a lot more modern IMO with the body matching bumpers. I need to update the painting guide when I get the chance to show off the polished final effect :D

Edited by Goose
banner-1.jpg

The rear bumper is held on with six M8 bolts that bolt into metal brackets on the back of the bumper. The bolts were rusted and a couple of the heads snapped off but a stud remover got the broken studs out.

The front bumper is more awkward as you have to gain access to the light pods but they are ok. To be honest you can paint the in place if you are careful. I ended up leaving the front bumper in place when I painted, just make sure you clean any crap out of the join between the body and bumper.

Have a look at this page for some more photos (sorry for the long load time) of the painting (they are the ones nearer the bottom of the page).

http://www.dancinggiraffe.com/Imagesindex....rk/bodywork.htm

banner-1.jpg

I've tried and failed to find answer for this elsewhere on the site. Did all S3s have body coloured bumpers (with plywood) and turbos have black ones or is it a mix? My 83 S3 has body coloured bumpers and I wasn't sure if they were original. I quite like the look of the black bumpers...

I know that's not a very technical question but I'm sure someone must know the answer.

Cheers,

Scotty.

Scotty, your car was made with the black fiberglass bumpers If its an 1983 UK/ROW Esprit or Black Urethane covered foam ones If its a North America Federal one.

Lotus didnt start painting the fiberglass UK/ROW ones body colour on production cars until late 1984-early1985 ish. (but had some showcars definately done early 1984)

The North American /Federal Esprits never had bumpers painted body colour from the factory (probably due to paint not adhereing or being able to flex with the substrate material)

Edited by WayneB
SUNP0003-1.jpg

Cheers,

Scotty.

my '83 had black bumpers too. In the UK the body coloured bumpers appeared around '84/'85 at

around the same time the glass roof was offered. There were several technical changes all over the

car at this time i think, as the '85 electrical drawings are very different to the '83.

I too think the black bumpers look better. They go back to a time when cars actually had bumpers

(i think the 911's look better with the impact bumpers too). By the mid-late eighties most cars on the

road no longer had bumpers, instead they had more intergrated front and rear ends, and mostly body

coloured. The Esprit still had seperate bumpers at this point so they had to paint them i guess, to match

the body colour style of that time, albeit a style that had no bumpers on most cars.

:D

Sadly, at around the same time, every boy with a Metro, Astra, Golf etc, was busy trying to also

'body colour' his cars bumpers and mirrors etc, so he could look a bit more modern too. The next

stage in this process is number plates in 'italic' or 'old english' script, often with the engine size and

number of valves written in little letters underneath. Used to be thousands of cars like this, don't

see many now, maybe the odd one outside a pub come the world cup, but thats it.

:P

My Y reg S3 seems to have a number of unoriginal bits then. I know it was a right off once and started life red. It is blue now and has body coloured bumpers and a sunroof. I think the sunroof must be aftermarket - I quite like it - except it leaks when it rains hard!

Thanks for all the info guys - think I might look out for some black bumpers - love that reto look!

Scotty

I think the sunroof must be aftermarket - I quite like it - except it leaks when it rains hard!

Glass roof should look like this, more like a targa:

garage_gallery-25-1158317814_thumb.jpg

otherwise it's definitely aftermarket.

Good that you are going the black bumper route. :(

Ciao,

JB

'88 Excel SE - monaco white

'99 Elise 111 - azure blue �

'87 TurboEsprit - calypso red

'02 BMW 325ci convertible - diamond black

wwwlotusexceldebannernew300eu5.jpg

http://excelregister.lotusexcel.de

Guest devacom

My S3 n/a was first registered in September '84. When I bought it 10 years ago it had body-coloured bumpers, but I noticed that they didn't quite match the rest of the bodywork. Also, the door mirrors looked as if they'd been sprayed on a beach using an aerosol from Halfords :( . So I assumed that someone had tried to make the car look more like the 85+ model. However, the rear light clusters have black surrounds and the rear number plate is mounted on a black plinth, so whoever tried to 'update' the car did not quite get it right.

I'm now doing some serious restoration and wondering whether I should strive to make the car look as it did on the day it rolled out of the factory at Hethel. (Thoughts anyone?)

Maybe I'm being too fussy. After all, whatever the colour scheme, Guigiaro or Stevens, it is still a gorgeous looking car.

I'm not too worried about getting my car looking the same as when it left the factory. Like you say they're such nice looking cars I don't think a little bit of fiddling here and there matters too much. Having said that I'd like to return mine to black bumpers just because I think they look cooler! To complete the look I'd like to get new tyres with white writing on them (very 80s) and perhaps even a turbo boot lid with louvres.

If anyone has a spare one hanging about?...

• 2 years later...

i have a turbo esprit from 1980. it was the first white turbo esprit off the production line, and it has the black bumpers (doesn't feel like rubber - they're kinda rock hard, and they've chipped a bit). I want to touch them up but i'm a bit unsure what product to use... i have seen a product somewhere called satin black bumper paint - is that the way to go?

regards

paul

Image275.jpg

Any excuse to fling a picy up! i dont know what my bumpers are made of, pretty damn solid and there is a little bit of cracking on one side where someone has "bumped" it. Its not really a mat finish but its not really gloss. what is best to clean it? could i use that auto glym bumpercare stuff? comes out like a waxy shinny gell that you put on. Think it would really freshen up the look of the car.

Have to say i do think the black bumper route is the way forward. works nicely with the black strip and the wing mirrors. Seems to give the car a little more of a "weighty look"

I think it all comes down to the colour. My bumpers were white (badly matched!) so I have just had them into the body shop to be sprayed back to satin black (also the mirrors!).

I think white 'G's look better with black bumpers but other colours tend to look better with colour matched.

Also I think the S1 front bumper looks better then the S3 but changing them does involve fitting new waist line trim.

they've chipped a bit). I want to touch them up but i'm a bit unsure what product to use... i have seen a product somewhere called satin black bumper paint - is that the way to go?

They're glassfibre so if necessary fill any chips with body filler, sand flat & prime.

The paint you mention sounds perfect :)

Cheers,

John W

http://jonwatkins.co.uk

• 2 weeks later...

I think it depends on the body colour. My red 87 S3 has colour coded bumpers, and I think that is better than the black bumpers. See http://www.meek.nu/lotus/index.htm for pics.

However I saw this yellow one last May that I thought suited a black bumper very well:

27.JPG

Bjorn

Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today - James Dean

"If it isn't leaking, it's empty" - Comment from a British sportscar enthusiast after being made aware of an oil slick under his car

Lotus Car Club Norway (LCCN) - lccn.no

LCCN on Facebook - http://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/LotusCarClubNorway/