free hit
counters
Do you consider it a supercar? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Do you consider it a supercar?

As the title says really - do you consider the Evora a supercar? Doesn't matter if you own one or not, I am curious what people think...

I would initially have said it was a sports car, but upon closer inspection it does have many of the qualities of a supercar, even if they are not abundantly clear on paper.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Its not just the "small boy appreciation factor" that counts. I find the "young women appreciation factor" much more relevant.

a super car is one that cost far too much and sold to footballers...... so no the Evora isn't a supercar........it is however a car which can more than hold its own wit

Perhaps the best description, to paraphrase Clarkson, is it is a car with many supercar qualities - looks, noise, badge - but without some of the traditional drawbacks (cost, size)

Posted Images

That's what I get for being late to the party :)

*shuffles off to read up on forum history*

Curiously, I only really began to revise my opinion with the introduction of the 400.

Edited by JayEmm
  • Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

The Goodwood FOS supercar list is indeed interesting :) I used to really want to believe my Evora S was a supercar (as it has a lot of supercar qualities) but after driving some real supercars (McLarens mainly) I am now firmly in the "sports car" camp.

Which isn't a bad thing. Gives me room for upgrade justification :D

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

It's not a supercar for heavens sake :) It's a sports car, that's larger than an Elise/Exige. The only reason we even have thoughts about it being a supercar are because of its styling and size increase over the standard Elise/Exige chassis. The speed isn't all that impressive (a self driving battery powered car has a much faster 0-60) and it's build quality isn't exactly sublime. 

However you don't get much closer for your money, thats for sure!

Hi all,

The Evora is a "Gentlemans Sporting Carriage", it's far too practical and nice to drive to be included in the list of cars that are compromised by their focus on outrageous looks and "Top Trumps" performance figures B-).

I would call it a GT, and I don't mean to disrespect it by stating that, rather I would hark back to the real meaning of GT which is to say "Grand Tourer"

A grand tourer (Italian: gran turismo) (GT) is a performance and luxury automobile capable of high speed or spirited long-distance driving. The most common format is a two-door coupé with either a two-seat or a 2+2 arrangement.

The term derives from the Italian phrase gran turismo, a tribute to the tradition of the grand tour, used to represent automobiles regarded as grand tourers, able to make long-distance, high-speed journeys in both comfort and style.

Nice forums btw :thumbup:

• Like 1

Obviously, it's subjective, but in my humble opinion, to be a supercar, now, you need unique styling, inside and out, and be hitting 0-60mph in <3.6 seconds/have a top speed approaching or surpassing 200mph. I do think that the Evora 400 is pretty special - a fantastic car, in fact -  but if we had a dramatic-looking 200mph Esprit, no-one would even be asking this question about the Evora.

10 hours ago, Buddsy said:

Yes but it's no hypercar.

Godwood Supercar list...yes Evora S and Esprit ;-)

Buddsy

That list includes 911s, which are obviously just modified Beetles. So that list is definitely not the definition of a supercar!

The Evora is a super car, not a supercar (which was probably already said in the previous thread). 

I do wish we'd got a new Esprit... although I can't help but think the new NSX bears a striking resemblance to what I recall seeing the Esprit mock-up looking like?

It's amazing how quickly the supercar game has come on - an Evora is considerably quicker than a Ferrari 360 and I would say a close match in terms of theatre (I think a better looker, but less noise).

The 360 only stopped being made some 10 years ago and made do with 400bhp also. 

James Martin (JayEmm)

The only Ferraris I have driven are the 355 and 360. The 355 felt perfectly sized for our roads - and actually is quite a small car compared to a lot of modern machinery.

Some Ferraris I have seen are comically massive - 599 for example

James Martin (JayEmm)

On 24/02/2016 at 16:03, The Pits said:

You're all wrong, it's a 'SUPER SPORTS GT'

honestly, you guys, keep up!

;)

A few months before the Ev400 was launched a certain franchise dealership in Norfolk advertised a Super Sport! After the launch of the Evora Sport 410 today, perhaps the next model should be an Evora Super Sport 450!  :lol:

Whether it's a supercar or not is subjective and depends on where you are (believe me, in Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft it's considered a supercar!). For me it's my super-car that's a great GT as well. Clarkson said on Top Gear the Evora pushes all the right supercar buttons and that's good enough for me and my take on what is or isn't a supercar. Each to their own :).

Evora S Super Sport.JPG

Edited by EuropaSman
Missed out bits again! Need new typing fingers.

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

Finally! A dealer that gets it!

;)

I like the way the Evora is hard to categorize. To be able to straddle catagories like that is one of its many strengths. It's definitely offers an exotic sense of occasion beyond its price and performance all without abandoning practicality. Certainly you could use one every day but it works equally well as a special occasion car for weekend blasts. It eats miles like no other Lotus before it yet remains very convincing on the track. The breadth of ability is remarkable and frankly it doesn't do it justice to confine it to one particular car catagory.

Perhaps the best description, to paraphrase Clarkson, is it is a car with many supercar qualities - looks, noise, badge - but without some of the traditional drawbacks (cost, size)

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)

37 minutes ago, EuropaSman said:

Whether it's a supercar or not is subjective and depends on where you are (believe me, in Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft it's considered a supercar!).

I thought a car with tax and mot was a supercar in Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft :rofl:

• Like 2

Only here once

No! I think you are getting mixed up with Beccles. :P

Lover of everything Lotus Cars and proud owner of production Evora No.75 (2nd UK customer specced car by VIN). Originally from the Far East....of Anglia, I read black box data for a living so that could explain a lot!

You know, every car cars lover owns is his own supercar: when I was in my early 20s even my first car (a Daihatsu Feroza!!!) or my first real car (not off-road) my beloved Honda Civic was to me MY SUPERCAR. So... I'm biased!:P

The Evora makes you feel you are in a supercar since the moment you take off the cover in the garage and look at it, to when you squeeze yourself in the low seats and take a look at that yellow badge on the steering wheel that reflected the faces of drivers like Jim Clark and Ayrton Senna. Even my:cry: 275HP N/A whose straight line performances could be surpassed by many overpowered (and unreliable:stuart:) german diesel saloons turns heads and attracts people's attentions (see "People's reaction to your Evora" thread).

I've never driven a proper "supercar" like some of you had, just a 15 minutes rental on a 430 Scuderia with 75.000km so obviously in terrible shape but to my heart the Evora is special and I bet, from the people's on the streets and also friends (most who didn't know the Evora thought it costed at least 150-200.000€) it is definitely and I guess the new 400 (if ever I'll get the plates:angry:) will be even better.

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...

I drove an R8 V10 today. If that qualifies as a supercar, pretty sure the Evora should. In our modern day and age, a small capacity forced induction engine doesn't seem to be a prohibiting factor anymore. The R8 was quick, but didn't feel too much quicker than the 400 I drove.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Jay,

this means you have made up your mind? and will join the Lotus club?

I drove a R8 V8 a couple of years ago for a couple of weeks (as a rental) and while it got a lot of attention (then) I never really fell in love with it ... I still remember the bad seat position and the disapointing power delivery ... my Exige now is much more fun ...

The best car I have ever driven definitely is the Ferrari 458 though ... unbelievable car, full of emotions ... even more than the Exige ;-) ... but much more money ...