free hit
counters
McLaren 570GT - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

About to make its Geneva début is the new, softer, more road-driver orientated offering from McLaren. As the second of the new generation entry level McLarens, this has a modicum of practicality to go with its 562bhp twin-turbo 3.8-litre V8. Spring rates are more kind to an ageing spine being reduced by 15% front and 10% rear over its 570S brother and revisions have been made to the anti-roll bars to suit. 1350kgs before filling the new side opening luggage area with Tesco shopping bags and £154,000 if you avoid any of the goodies on the options list. Autocar clicky

570gt-web-377.jpg?itok=uzaMcUim

EMBARGOED_UNTIL_Wednesday__February_24_a

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

"Side opening luggage storage area/warming rack/defrosting oven"   I actually defrosted a pizza in the Esprit boot on the 5min drove home from

Nah, I just happen to like the new McLaren GT instead of say the supertight (read: boring) looking R8 or 911. Those being generically German, they are expected to follow along that line, and many cust

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-events/geneva/2016/mclaren-570gt-revealed-at-2016-geneva-motor-show/ Its perfect and shows how clever Dennis and his team are. Achieved so much i

• Gold FFM
14 hours ago, Vulcan Grey said:

"Side opening luggage storage area/warming rack/defrosting oven"

I actually defrosted a pizza in the Esprit boot on the 5min drove home from the store.  Didn't realize,  and stacked it vertically in the freezer.  It accordion-ed into a a pile in the box. 

That's just what I was thinking. When I take the Esprit on shopping duty, I'm always careful about what I put in the rear boot and keep all foodstuff in a cooler bag in the front spare wheel well.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

• Gold FFM
8 minutes ago, Advantage said:

The 570GT has a 130ltr storage area under the front "boot" to compliment this new 220ltr rear luggage space.

I wonder what the storage volume in the Esprit is. Without the spare wheel, I'm guessing it's more.

Do love the idea of a 'pratical' McLaren supercar. :-)

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

http://www.carmagazine.co.uk/car-news/motor-shows-events/geneva/2016/mclaren-570gt-revealed-at-2016-geneva-motor-show/

Its perfect and shows how clever Dennis and his team are. Achieved so much in so little time. Hats off, a class act.

I wonder how long until Ferrari announces an everyday 200mph contender for £150k? Must really annoy the boys down in Stuttgart a LOT! 

#lovebritishcars 

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Superb. Bravo. Hats off. Well done Sirs.

British engineering and ingenuity at work. Marvellous. Want one.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Superb. Bravo. Hats off. Well done Sirs.

British engineering and ingenuity at work. Marvellous. Want one.

47 minutes ago, Andrew C said:

What Lotus should be doing. What Lotus used to do.  McLaren the new Lotus 

yes and yes.

if you're an Evora owner then this might be your ultimate aspirational car, it's certainly now mine. It has the heritage, purpose, poise, performance and looks. 

I've been a bit mehhh about new cars recently but this is MOTIVATION on 4 wheels, oh yes... You will be mine! Finally a sort of within reach (I know it's a lot!) car that I'd rather own and cherish more than a Ferrari.

http://www.evo.co.uk/mclaren/570s/17411/mclaren-570gt-video-preview-new-sports-series-car-adds-long-distance-comfort-to?_mout=1&utm_campaign=newsletter&utm_medium=email&utm_source=newsletter

McLaren, awesome. 

As above - Yes and yes  - if only this could have been the new Esprit. Will never be allowed to have one so will limit myself to my Esprit, however (I am sorry to say) if I ever had the chance I would would trade in the Esprit for one of these in a heart beat.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, march said:

Yep - just checked - I am definitely not allowed one :no

?

and so right, exactly the sort of thing the new Esprit should be.

I've not fallen for something over £100k before so out of "reachness" hasn't been on my mind or an issue before, I'm feeling quite nervous all of a sudden!!!!!  

This is painful, how do you justify spending £154k.. on a motor? I look at it and couldn't give a hoot about depreciation, servicing costs or anything with a prancing horse on it (which I usually do). 

Need to go a develop a few more houses and fly non stop for a couple of years!!!!!!

#lustMcLaren

McLaren's achievements over the past three years, with their road cars division, have been just staggering, tbh! I do support Lotus's direction, and I understand that they've had to leave the Evora as the pinnacle of their range, but if/when they do make an Esprit successor, they don't half have their work cut out for them with what the competition are offering at 'around' this price point! I'm sure their engineers would relish the challenge, but popping a 911 turbo S, this new McLaren and maybe the R8 V10+ in front of them and saying 'Better this lot' really is quite some challenge; the bar seems to be going up so fast that it must be hard to know what to even aim for!

• Gold FFM

I agree with you Bee.

Maybe the start is the best drivers  sports car under £100k,  a car that batters the opposition for price / performance and that continues the build quality improvements to date.

Then hopefully build on that sales success and look higher in the value stakes.

I do think JMG has a plan, marginal gains are working, but STILL marketing is poor and not impactful. I'm sure the marketing people are doing their best but working with a very limited budget.

If you wanna sell £150k cars then brand and image is key. This is an area where marginal gains will not work for Lotus. It needs a bloody revolution ;)

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

The 3rd head of marketting in 18 months has just gone. It's not a job for the feint hearted :blink:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Give it 5 years and I'd offer to do the job for no salary but a 400 as a company car fully expensed. Seems like a fair deal to me ;)

Seriously, though, they're either hiring the wrong people for the role, or, not beng honest during the process with the budget / objectives and aspirations.

It's a crying shame because actually the cars are very very good these days.

Surely that's a good move for McLaren. That new GT seems so much more exotic and desireable than many offereing from competitors. As some of you said, I wouldn't even think about a Ferrari, when this GT is on the block. Only gripe is the non-visible engine. Not much fun there.

Well done McLaren. And come back Lotus.

Cheers,

Jacques.

Nobody does it better - than Lotus ;)

37 minutes ago, Advantage said:

Did he get bored by doing nothing all day while in the office?

Very nice guy to speak to by all accounts but too busy doing whatever he was doing, which in my experience of him wasn't marketing Lotus Cars. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Seriously, though, they're either hiring the wrong people for the role, or, not beng honest during the process with the budget / objectives and aspirations.

It's a crying shame because actually the cars are very very good these days.

JMG's focus on core values instead of Mr Haircut 100 runners nig before he can walk is already showing more confidence in the Lotus brand. 

New Marketing boss must be high on the priority list after the focus on cost control and quality. 

Back on topic... McLaren in true RD style is being clear and precise. They are offering premium cars and demonstrating who and what they actually are for. Back off topic....... Lotus could learn a thing or two from this approach! 

Just had to check my browser to see if I've logged on to themclarenforums by mistake.

Lotus announces a lighter, faster, hard-core version of their flagship for 80K and barely generates very little praise on here.

A few days later McLaren launches a heavier, slower and softer version of their car at double that price and everyone on here thinks it's the best thing since sliced bread. Just don't leave your loaf to toast on that parcel shelf when you come back from Lidl.

I wonder how many of you are actually going to pop down your McLaren dealer and lay 154K down for one? It's twice the price of the most expensive Lotus: it SHOULD be better! Please don't go all Pistonheads on us: the next thing will be someone asking us why would you buy a brand new Evora 410 for 80K when you could get a 5 year-old 12C for 110K!

Maybe it's time to stop dreaming of a new Esprit, if McLaren has got that slot sown up already.

• Like 2