free hit
counters
tune up - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

tune up

scotty

My third post tonight! Son is now 6 months and sleeping - finally had a chance to look at my poor neglected esprit!

I quite fancy having a bit of a tune up and hear that rolling roads might be the way to go. I'm not after doing anything too clever - just to check that the ignition and carbs are delivering what they should be. The car is running fine but is just a bit spluttery at low revs.

However - I can't help but think that if I turn up at a tuning place in the centre of town in an early 80s esprit - the people running the place are going to be more geared up for an Impreza or Citreon Saxo.

Does anyone know if that is the case - and if so are there any (old) lotus friendly places in the south. (Based in Southampton)

Cheers,

Scotty

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you just want to have the car returned to optimum factory spec rather than chase expensive bhp, then pop 20 minutes up the A36 to Sportomotive in Salisbury.

They've been attending to Lotuses for years (in one guise or another!) and should be able to advise you and your wallet what the best course of action would be for your car.

http://www.sportomotiveservice.com/

01722 410893 speak either Cos or Dave. Highly recommended.

Costs? I'm gonna have to do my best tradesman sharp intake of breath here :D

Dunno, really. Give 'em a call on Monday, they're very friendly!

I've got to pop up at some point soon, my GT3 needs an MOT and has got no chance of passing with the crack in the windscreen. I wouldn't take it anywhere else.

Depending on what you're after: C service ? or ignition and carburation check ?: I happen to be currently in the progress of 2nd option and I tend to prefer doing it myself.

Setting the carb implies the carb is perfectly clean, throtle cable glides freely (to return to idle), etc. If not so, the setting will not be stable. If the carbs and throttle cable are as old as the car, I don't trust someone else to check them inside out.

With ignition it's another story. Static advance is easy to set with a strobe lamp; Dynamic requires to run the engine at various speeds and simulate and measure vacuum. Not easy to do at home, but ask for signed test result.

Guest Troy Halliday

If you want a reliable rolling road test with people who actualy know a few things about cars then I can put you in touch with a guy called Steve Greenall. Noble sends him there cars to tune so I don't think I need to say any more about that.

If you want a reliable rolling road test with people who actualy know a few things about cars then I can put you in touch with a guy called Steve Greenall. Noble sends him there cars to tune so I don't think I need to say any more about that.

Yes Please Troy!

My next mission!!!!

Thanks,

Rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Guest Troy Halliday

I'll call him first thing this morning to get his work number, I only have his mobile so I can hasle him whenever the mood takes me. He is great bloke and very helpful. I have seen untold amount of race cars up there. Most impressive one was a Vauxhall 2.0l XE engine pushing out 290bhp. now that is squeezing the last drop of power out of an engine B)