free hit
counters
Evora Sport 410 - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora Sport 410

4 hours ago, Colin G said:

Does nothing for me, but I'm in that very small minority who finds carbon fibre looks a bit, well, tacky. (That tailgate is a mess in my eyes!) Not that I'm the target audience for this kind of 'special' anyway to be fair. :D

Well I agree with you, so we're in a minority of 2 at least :) 

Still, I'll wait to see in the flesh (and a different colour) before passing judgement. Especially as the spec sheet and performance figures are very exciting.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My new Baby! I think it is the first 410 on German roads  

Epic Spanish trip. 2800 miles including a 700 mile drive back to tunnel. 410 performed perfectly . 

410 ordered. Another Exige owner making the jump over to Team Evora, though there seems to be a fair bit of traffic both ways. Never had one before but always admired them and have thoroughly enj

Posted Images

Lotus Cars site states that the standard 400 Sparco seats are an option, so could you specify those and the 2+2 configuration. I can't see any reason why that wouldn't be possible if you need a +2, can you? Only problem is that when you've added them, air-con, stereo, sun-visors (!) back in, you're probably back close to the 400's weight / performance but 10 grand lighter in the wallet!

Not another special edition. The performance figures are impressive but who is the customer. I want a track tool then it's my Exige or the 311. I like the 150 a year they would be so lucky. Bring back Danny. I am glad that I have been invited onto the McLaren stand. Starting to look like a new tattoo required. 

14 minutes ago, Andrew C said:

Not another special edition. The performance figures are impressive but who is the customer. I want a track tool then it's my Exige or the 311. I like the 150 a year they would be so lucky. Bring back Danny. I am glad that I have been invited onto the McLaren stand. Starting to look like a new tattoo required. 

I think you're being a little unfair ;)

McLarens are great, but a lot more expensive, bigger (in size) so less practical to use, and a lot more expensive to run.

Lotuses are unique in that their compact size and "light is right" approach make them extremely practical sportscars.

I do think the 2 brands are alike in many respects (apart from the obvious UK origin) but to me, Lotus would be the Porsche to McLaren's Ferrari: a more practical, less show-off, less expensive but no less capable alternative.

As for Danny, he hated the Evora so we would never have had the 400, let alone this 410 Sport.

I think JMG has the right approach. Here is a company with very limited resources, so focus on what sets it apart from every other manufacturer: lightness.

JMG seems to be bringing the company in to a position it hasn't sat in for a long time, and he should be applauded for the turnaround. I might not agree with all his choices, but he's clearly been the right man for the job.

• Like 2

As someone currently looking at a new 400... not sure how I feel about this one.

I spoke with my local dealer earlier, I had hoped that the A/C and Stereo may have been no-cost options... but they aren't. They're options and not cheap ones either.

If I bought this I'd want AC and a stereo, and possibly the sound insulation - I'm not sure how much I would then actually be saving weight. Hmm...

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

JMG is definitely the right man for the job.  Anyone who thinks Danny should come back is asking for Lotus to be in bankruptcy.  All you got from Danny were pretty concept cars Lotus did not have the money to develop and build.

As for this 410, it is a niche vehicle for a limited customer base.  I wouldn't waste the time or money federalizing it for the US.  What I do wish Lotus would federalize is the Exige Roadster, but I've read that US customers will have to wait for the re-designed Exige/Elise due around 2020.

8 minutes ago, Colin G said:

JMG seems to be bringing the company in to a position it hasn't sat in for a long time, and he should be applauded for the turnaround. I might not agree with all his choices, but he's clearly been the right man for the job.

Agreed.  For all those Lotus fans that want a new Esprit, its only after cars like the Evora 400, Exige and Elise cup/Sport refreshes turn a profit that they will be in a position to invest in something like an all new car (in my opinion).

Danny B had some very interesting full scale models mocked up, credit there.  But he was most definitely the wrong man for the job.

Surely a new Esprit wasn't a problem?

But a new Esprit AND four (or was it five) other models, all simultaneously, was always going to be a stretch?

Bahar I don't think did his homework - I am pretty sure even 15 years ago neither Ferrari nor Lamborghini were shifting big numbers of cars. I think over half of all Lamborghinis ever sold were Gallardos at one point? May still be

James Martin (JayEmm)

I think Lotus will have its hands full keeping its current models competitive.  Many of its cars are priced in Porsche territory and Lotus will no longer have the luxury of overly long periods of time between refreshes and new models.  

51 minutes ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

Lotus Cars site states that the standard 400 Sparco seats are an option, so could you specify those and the 2+2 configuration. I can't see any reason why that wouldn't be possible if you need a +2, can you? Only problem is that when you've added them, air-con, stereo, sun-visors (!) back in, you're probably back close to the 400's weight / performance but 10 grand lighter in the wallet!

Well yes, but you get the stripe........please also consider that the faster lap time in Hethel -as stated by Lotus- was on Michelin cup tires, that will aonther part of the puzzle

I looked the other day and a new Cayman (ignoring the GT4) is considerably cheaper than an Evora 400, even well specced.

I think what will certainly help Lotus is the fact that Porsche are switching to a 2.0L turbo 4 - so the Evora will have a trump card of some sorts there.

James Martin (JayEmm)

It looks similar and it is priced similar. I know that a Cayman starts off much cheaper than an Evora, but Porsche are very good at extracting scary money from you in the options list. Maybe it's because I don't have small children, but I actually consider the room in the back of an Evora to be a downside. I much prefer a more intimate cabin.

The 911 is also moving much higher up into the "GT" category, 911s are frequently over £100 and that's not even a Turbo or GT model. I think the people buying Evoras are looking at Caymans. That's my take on it, anyway.

James Martin (JayEmm)

4 hours ago, vmcdemo said:

Is it coming to the US. If so maybe it's a way of getting road going Exige like performance to the US?

Yes:

"A specific North American version of the Evora Sport 410 will be announced later in 2016."

I can only speak from a US perspective, but the Evora is priced $5,000-$10,000 less than a base 911 and is comparable in terms of layout (2+2), horsepower and weight.  I personally would never cross shop a Cayman against an Evora.  

• Like 1
12 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

The 911 is also moving much higher up into the "GT" category, 911s are frequently over £100 and that's not even a Turbo or GT model. I think the people buying Evoras are looking at Caymans. That's my take on it, anyway.

Which is Lotus's stance I think with saying, this is our GT.  2+2, or 2+0 for those who prefer it... but its wildly more capable for the cost compared to a similarly priced 911.  In reality, I don't think Lotus has a competitor to the Cayman/Boxter.  Neither the Exige or Elise are competing with those cars.  I think auto Mags are lazy though, and by lumping the Cayman with the 911 when talking about the Evora 400, they give themselves the ability to claim Porsche has a cheaper competitor.  But I think Lotus was aiming at the base and S 911 all along.

Edited by 99Problems

I agree - nobody considering a Cayman is probably considering an Elise or Exige, at all. An Evora is a daily drivable car.

I think in truth there isn't really a direct competitor for the Evora. The 911 is a constantly moving yardstick. I can't help but think Lotus might have been wiser to introduce a lower-spec Evora rather than the higher spec they've just introduced - but it's nice to see them expanding in a sensible fashion and looking healthy

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

While I'm not looking to throw money away, I like that Lotus actually went "up market" with the Evora 400.  To the point of cross shopping, I was set on getting an F-type R, after deciding the current Aston Vantage was just too out of date before going for the 400.  I know many long time Lotus fans wanted to keep the car more affordable, but as a brand looking to stay above water, AND appeal to enthusiasts with a low production, hand built car, I don't think it makes sense to continue to position them in the M car/Audi RS/ CAYMAN (I know, I know) price range.  (All pricing comments obviously refer to US pricing.  I know other parts of the world this may not hold true).

Where they placed it, they are unique in the value proposition in comparison to Aston, 911's, etc.  PROVIDED the car's reliability and fit and finish took a step up, which by all accounts so far, it has. (realizing its pretty damn early to speak to reliability).

• Like 1

I think the Evora 400 is a much more tempting proposition than any Aston this side of £100k. The Astons I have driven have been a little underwhelming at best sadly. Granted, it was only a V8 Vantage. A DBS is a beautiful thing to behold, but an Evora 400 is probably quicker and ultimately just as interesting to look at, although a different proposition.

James Martin (JayEmm)

I don't mind a bit of CF but I think I prefer the rear end of the regular 400. The only bit from the 410 I think I'd really want might be the seats... not like they're electric armchairs in the regular 400 though

James Martin (JayEmm)