free hit
counters
Evora Sport 410 - Page 3 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora Sport 410

1 hour ago, JayEmm said:

not like they're electric armchairs in the regular 400 though

:huh: In terms of adjustability, they go forwards and backwards and you can adjust the rake, all manual! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My new Baby! I think it is the first 410 on German roads  

Epic Spanish trip. 2800 miles including a 700 mile drive back to tunnel. 410 performed perfectly . 

410 ordered. Another Exige owner making the jump over to Team Evora, though there seems to be a fair bit of traffic both ways. Never had one before but always admired them and have thoroughly enj

Posted Images

6 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

I struggle with this. If I wanted a stripped out tack car I'd buy the exige? What's the point of this one?

I actually quite like the look of this - but I agree that a more track focused V6 Lotus already exists in the Exige.

That said, this kinda make sense until the new chassis for the  Exige appears - the current cabin is rather snug to say the least.

I agree it's more spacious but do people buying a track weapon care about the size  difference between the excige and Evora?  The gt3 exists and other similar car variants so there must be a market for it?

Exactly this, there is an obvious market for the non stripped out (Exige,BAC,Caterham etc) track product as shown by Porsche, BMW , Ferrari. So it makes sense for a company like Lotus to use what little resource it has to produce a similar product. A 997 GT3 with 415ps and 1400kg gives an indication of the saleable product requirements, and at £80k is priced way below current type cars.

Does this mean though no 'Cup' version?

Black n gold

• Gold FFM

Agree with both above - 360, 430, 458 Challenge Stradales, GT2, GT3, etc all seem to have no problem finding buyers and people willing to track them. Indeed, stick a roll cage and a fire extinguisher in and push the power to 450 and I'm sure you would find buyers and converts out there - after all, HOW MUCH are the other cars mentioned above?  Maybe this is exactly what Lotus needs - no disrespect but Lotus cars are bought by driving enthusiasts who usually are buying the best drivers car for the money they can afford, and often, they use them as dual purpose cars - every day, commuting, weekend toy and track day.  They have to be a jack of all trades...

In fact given previous threads, I am surprised some parts of the forum are not threatening a revolution as no +2 version and they would only buy an Evora +2...... ;)

The people who buy the Challenge Stradales, Tropheo's, GT3RS's etc, well, they're just flashing £150k - £250k on a toy. End of. It's a different market of buyers but one that Lotus absolutely needs to tap in to as it is hugely profitable and provides a Halo effect across the range.

All this talk of price etc is irrelevant in this sector and with this type of buyer. Case in point. Friend of mine had a 1 year old McLaren. Used it for a year, did a few thousand miles in it, just sold it and walked away with a cheque for nigh on £100k more than he paid for it!!!  Now, let's have that chat again on price re Exige - 400 - 410 - 311............. It's a different world out there...

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

At the risk of sounding like a rabid, slavering fanboy - I frickin' love it.

The Kill Bill styling ticks a lot of my more inappropriate boxes (and panders to my slightly unhealthy Uma Thurman fetish), and the stripped back nature of the vehicle really appeals.  That really is a significant weight saving.  

20 hours ago, Bravo73 said:

Looks good.

When are the inevitable GT3/4 vs Ev410 comparisons going to start? 

Irritatingly for Lotus the GT "brand" seems to be have become linked inexorably with Porkers these days.  There will be inevitable comparisons, but one is £20K more and the other you can't buy.

I mistakenly popped on to PH last night and saw the usual bunch of tosh from the naysayers and some valiant defence from the enthusiasts. 

Price? Meh, people who would buy this and 911 GT3s (and their equivalents from the other Marques) don't really care.  Lack of creature comforts?  As before.  Styling?  More of the same.  Yet another Lotus "Special Edition"?  Nah, it's a limited run variant.  Only a 2+0?  Good!

The challenge for this car will be the same as ever.  To get people to try it.

£80Kish?  Seems a bit of a bargain to me, but then I don't have that kind of money...

...anyone want to buy two horses, the OH and a kidney....?

• Gold FFM

I'm with you Dave and have your back on the Uma Thurman fetish which can border on the obsessive!  hahahaha

Maybe they missed a trick. £90k, full colour co-ordinated roll cage, harnesses, full fire extinguisher and options and 450 bhp. Now that, would be a serious car and would thrash the living daylights out of a GT2, GT3 etc. Agree with you it is a totally different market. As I said on another topic, the type of people who buy GT2/GT3RS Porkers, Challenge and Stradale Ferraris, Tropheo Lambo's etc are not buying on price. These are £130k to £220k toys. Nothing more, nothing less and used and specc'ed accordingly. Totally different to the usual Lotus (or Porsche buyer) I would argue.

If I had the cash I would consider one. But then if I had the cash I'd spend an extra £10k - £20k on more power, safety, and more hardcore.

However, maybe the £90-100k car I describe is coming and will be the 450 Cup / 450 Cup R to be announced in the near future...

I also don't agree with the, "if you want a track weapon then it can only be an Exige" adage either. As if you think about it, that makes the 3-11 obsolete then....!  Yeah right.....

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

A trackday-weapon that can't go on most tracks for the known noise-limits problem: strange product especially from a brand that already has a wide range of very good track cars (Elise, Exige, 3-Eleven) but just one more civilized GT (the Evora)!:blush:

Honestly I think Lotus now that has decided to put the Evora 400 in the 911 price-range should think about a cheaper model (like we discussed in the "Entry level Evora below the 400?" thread) to compete with the Cayman-Boxster like the original Evora was when it came out back in 2009.

The 410 (that with just 150 cars made will not certainly make a difference in Lotus finances) risks even to make the 400 loose some potential buyers who want the "latest and greatest" that now the 400 isn't anymore.

• Like 1

I don't mean to be a downer doggie over here in the USA....  but I ordered my Lotus Evora 400 around 8 months ago.  I will likely still have to wait another 3 or 4 months before it actually shows up in the USA to drive it...  and now it is obsolete before it ever shows up (by 3 seconds in a short lap?!)

I love you Lotus, but you could have waited until the first round of 400's came across the pond and let us enjoy it first before you released the 410.  Thanks for taking the wind out of our sails.    *sigh*  Don't really want to pay all that money for the "slow" version now.  What choices do I have?  I'm sure my car is already built.  This stinks.

Upgrades happen. We accept it with TVs, phones and computers, we have to learn to accept it with cars.

Quick reality check for you: the Evora 400 is not the slow version. For most people it remains the flagship of the Lotus range as most people like their expensive sports cars to be well equipped and somewhat luxurious. For such people the Evora 400 remains the better car. The E410 is really just a limited run special. We would all have loved to see more Lotus cars sold in the US and look forward to the day that they are. I accept the US Lotus fans have missed out in recent years but anyone getting an Evora 400 anywhere in the world would be the envy of the vast majority of Brits and Europeans alike. While the cars are available over here, not many people can afford them and would deliously happy to be in your position given the chance. I know for a fact that Bibs misses his loan 400 deeply already. The Evora 400 is a phenomenal car. You will not be disappointed. It is one of the most exciting and accomplished sports cars currently on sale. Nothing Lotus comes out with will change that, certainly not a version with 10bhp more and no stereo or aircon.

For what it's worth I'd take the Evora 400 over the 410 Sport. If you want more power then the £7900 buys you a lot more than 10bhp.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Brian - your car's probably not built yet and if you want the more hardcore version then ask Lotus and who knows.

I love the 410, probably wish it was a 430 though, and will love even more the 450/460/500 CUP or whatever that comes out later.

BUT - and here's the rub, as an all out ownership proposition I think the current 400 is just about impossible to beat. It has 400 bhp, it is quick. It sounds like a super car. It looks fantastic. It is well designed, well built and well screwed together. It is very well finished, comfortable and well specc'ed.

So unless you are intending to just drive it like you are Mario Andretti on track, what's the problem.

Jeez - sometimes I think we in the 1st world really need a slap in the face and a kick up the arse.

Lotus are aiming the 410 at a totally different market to the 400 - a more hardcore one that doesn't want the convenience of 2 extra seats so you can take the family out for a picnic at the weekend. Jeez, on one post inone of the forums we even had a guy from the US saying he had a +2 but wouldn't take his kid in it as it lacked the 47 different airbags, 253 crash protection zones and didn't have the option of a man walking in front of it with a red flag that the safety conscious US market seems to demand. You know, the market that means that we here in the UK have to have those bloody side reflectors of the wheels of a 1980's Raleigh Chopper bike :)

Listening to the whinging and whining since the 410 was announced you would think Lotus would be better off selling Elan and Europa's from the 60's, Esprits from the 70's and 80's and Elise's from the noughties as I'm getting the distinct impression that for many Lotus owners change can be a real struggle to deal with....  Maybe we're all just old, grumpy, farts...

Of course - all above is tongue very firmly in cheek.  I think.....:devil:

Oh, and when we pull out of Europe Lotus will hopefully be free, in the UK market, to put 7.2ltr petrol engines in the back of their cars and damn the Germans with their puny little 2ltr 4 pot turbo's........

I understand your points.   There is a Lotus 400 demo car coming to my town next week that I am scheduled to test drive.  Right now I feel like all I am going to be able to think about is "there is a faster version already"..  but maybe once I get behind the wheel the experience will speak for itself. 

I suppose I am buying it as a daily driver GT type car.  So I guess I do what the A/c and features...  but for the record...  (I'm going to toot my own horn here)  I am an experienced and very fast race car driver too.  That 3 seconds is awfully tempting to me as well, especially when it is being offered on a limited production car that will be much more collectable... and for basically the same price.  :-/

I'm in the final stages of deciding whether to buy a 400 or stick with my LE.

I saw this posting and my first reaction was, "oh hang on is this something I want to wait for?" Maybe I should consider buying this instead and delay my purchase.

I would imagine I am not the only person who has waited a while to see the real world reports of the 400, and feel that there is enough confidence in the new car that I will seriously consider a purchase. I don't mind being first adopter on a phone or operating system, but I definitely think twice about a £70-80,000 sports car.

Lotus are trying to attract people away from Porsche, arguably Audi and other 'prestige' marques. The 400 isn't exactly flying out the doors, and there seem to be a number of people waiting to see if the rumoured Roadster is going to appear. Surely they would be better off focusing their efforts on attracting new customers and giving existing customers what they are looking for?

For me this just muddied the waters, if I was thinking about buying a new Evora without have been infected with 'Lotusitis' already, I wonder whether it wouldn't have put me off buying into the brand.

Tris...

Brian, last weekend I did my first ever nought to............ummmmm.............REALLY fast in my 400 after it being broken in. Trust me, you're not going to feel like you've got a slow car, I felt like I was merely holding on at one point. :D

• Like 1

Brian,

I'm in a similar boat in that I ordered my 400 back in Oct, and the wait is a B!tch so far. Seeing a new variant before the initial car even launches in the US is a bitter pill... HOWEVER, as our resident cranky old Brit Andy points out ( :respect: ) the E410 while limited, and yes faster on track, is not aiming to better the 400.  For every day GT driving, its actually worse (relatively speaking, and said from a stand point of wanting rear seats, AC, sound proofing, etc).  And really, if you took the 2+0 option on the 400, ripped out the stereo, AC, sound deadening material, etc, you are probably within an obese beagle's worth of weight to the 410.

Personally, I don't like the visual changes to the rear of the car, but I get that is subjective.  I'm sure if that's what folks are after they could replace some bits on the 400 with the 410 bits.  And also as stated, for the difference in cost, if that 3 seconds a lap at Hethel matter to you, I'm sure there are options in an ECU tune and fiddles that will get 450 HP without much trouble.

At least you get to see and test drive the car next week.  I'm being told April before we get one in the San Francisco area... dammit.

1 hour ago, NeedForSpeed said:

The 410 (that with just 150 cars made will not certainly make a difference in Lotus finances) risks even to make the 400 loose some potential buyers who want the "latest and greatest" that now the 400 isn't anymore.

Forgive me for the self-quoting but seems like I was so right: just here on TLF there's already 3 people made "angry" (and so reconsidering the 400) by the 410. Two of them americans, the market Lotus is aiming most at! Good work Lotus!:ermm:

Edited by NeedForSpeed

To clarify, in case I'm one of the 2 Americans ( :thumbsup: ) I'm not angered by the 410, it just reminds me that my 400 is still not here, which is the part that sucks.

I would no sooner pick the 410 over the 400 as I would the Exige Cup variant, only because it doesn't suite what I'm after.  NOW, if Lotus went to Geneva with a Evora 450 with all new Dual Clutch Auto, and some new wiz bang features, then yeah... I'd be miffed.

Edited by 99Problems

Well, I'm am American and I really don't see why anyone who already ordered an Evora in the USA would be upset about the 410.  The Evora is Lotus' version of a GT car.  I find it hard to believe that anyone who wanted a stripped down track machine would have ordered an Evora 400 in the first place.  This is a limited production, very niche product.  One of the main reasons for a car like this is to keep Lotus in the press.  

If you are so concerned about weight, I'm sure you already order the car as a 2+0, now all you have to do is take out your A/C and you are pretty much there in terms of weight.  And if you think you would notice the extra 10 hp, you are really kidding yourself.

If you live in the US and can afford to fly your new Evora 400 back to Hethel to be shown up by a 410, I suspect you can also afford to get Komotec to turn it into a 500BHP sleeper before you take delivery that would beat a brand new 410 in a willy waving competition...

Gravel, good point.  If Lotus establishes a good beach head in the US, the tuners will come.  And it won't require Lotus to sell that many cars.  Car in point is my current ride, the TT RS.  Only around 1200 were exported to the US over MY12-13.  The number of software and hardware upgrades available for so few cars is just astounding.  When I looked at a SW upgrade for my car, there were no less than 3 major aftermarket companies offering the Stage 1 tune (APR, Revo and GIAC).  

1 hour ago, hyteck9 said:

I don't mean to be a downer doggie over here in the USA....  but I ordered my Lotus Evora 400 around 8 months ago.  I will likely still have to wait another 3 or 4 months before it actually shows up in the USA to drive it...  and now it is obsolete before it ever shows up (by 3 seconds in a short lap?!)

I love you Lotus, but you could have waited until the first round of 400's came across the pond and let us enjoy it first before you released the 410.  Thanks for taking the wind out of our sails.    *sigh*  Don't really want to pay all that money for the "slow" version now.  What choices do I have?  I'm sure my car is already built.  This stinks.

52 minutes ago, Tris... said:

I'm in the final stages of deciding whether to buy a 400 or stick with my LE.

I saw this posting and my first reaction was, "oh hang on is this something I want to wait for?" Maybe I should consider buying this instead and delay my purchase.

I would imagine I am not the only person who has waited a while to see the real world reports of the 400, and feel that there is enough confidence in the new car that I will seriously consider a purchase. I don't mind being first adopter on a phone or operating system, but I definitely think twice about a £70-80,000 sports car.

Lotus are trying to attract people away from Porsche, arguably Audi and other 'prestige' marques. The 400 isn't exactly flying out the doors, and there seem to be a number of people waiting to see if the rumoured Roadster is going to appear. Surely they would be better off focusing their efforts on attracting new customers and giving existing customers what they are looking for?

For me this just muddied the waters, if I was thinking about buying a new Evora without have been infected with 'Lotusitis' already, I wonder whether it wouldn't have put me off buying into the brand.

Tris...

Hyteck9 and Tris sounded a bit... "upset"

As for myself I'm a little bit upset too that before I've ever had the first chance to drive my 400 (which is not Lotus' but Italian bureaucracy's fault ;) ), there's a newer faster car, the little kid in me feels like his toy isn't the most desirable anymore!;) But rationally speaking I'd pick again the 400  over the 410 because I can't live without A/C that I had broken on my Evora last summer (while the dealer was closed for holidays) and basically I couldn't drive the car because with the weather we have here in that period of the year, the only time I did it (and it was night) I came back home sweaty like I had ran on foot the same kilometers; also radio (most of all for navigation and BT phone connection) and some sound-insulation for long highway trips are welcome additions that made me buy the Evora after having been for many years tempted by the Elise but always avoided it for its excessive "spartanism".

Edited by NeedForSpeed

Aside from the loooooonngg  wait I am already enduring for my 400, the part of the 410 that really erks me is the, " liberal addition of carbon fibre across the entire car".

I feel like this was always part of the Evora plan as lightness is the Lotus philosophy... and I'm being penalized for being a loyal early adopter.