free hit
counters
Evora Sport 410 - Page 44 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Evora Sport 410

Bibs

• Gold FFM

So "carbon" ones according to the parts guide are £127plus vat each side.

unpainted ones are £31plus vat each side.

disappointing!

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM
23 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

You slag off black wheels then you put black mirrors on your lovely all essex blue Evora. One word. Just one word for you....

Heathen!

Hopefully black wheels are next. We can but hope. It would look a lot better :lol:

• Like 1

• Gold FFM
4 minutes ago, JG220 said:

Hopefully black wheels are next. We can but hope. It would look a lot better :lol:

Errrrr no :lol:

IF they get refurbed, they would go to anthracite at most, not black.

Current: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow

• Gold FFM
11 minutes ago, The Pits said:

Has anyone put older style Evora wing mirrors on a 400? The Proton ones are not my favourite part of the car to look at. They work well enough though.

You'd have to put the entire mount on the car, it's not just the mirrors. I believe it's the "triangles" in the front corner of the window as well. As the Proton mirrors are sat in a different place also, hence the passenger side is quite obscured by the A-pillar.

• Gold FFM

So what you're saying is Lotus tried to improve again on the S1 Evora and had another little fail!  :whistle:

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
Just now, C8RKH said:

So what you're saying is Lotus tried to improve again on the S1 Evora and had another little fail!  :whistle:

You're absolutely right Andy. So you'd best get buried in your car as it won't get any better.... allow me! :lol: 

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

Confirmed via my friendly lotus dealer... 410 mirrors are "Carbon effect" :(

So I've cancelled my order.
I might as well buy a set of "primed" mirror caps at £31+vat rather than £127+vat each.
I'm sure a local hydrodipper would be able to dip them in carbon effect and lacquer them for less than the Lotus price.

Disappointed :(

26 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Confirmed via my friendly lotus dealer... 410 mirrors are "Carbon effect" :(

So I've cancelled my order.
I might as well buy a set of "primed" mirror caps at £31+vat rather than £127+vat each.
I'm sure a local hydrodipper would be able to dip them in carbon effect and lacquer them for less than the Lotus price

Disappointed :(

I'd be relieved I hadn't just spent near £300 on some fake carbon!

TLF saves the day I reckon.

Jesus flipping christ. That truly is appalling.... 

Their MARKET LEADING CAR that they harp on about being the pinnacle of their lineup - they've splashed out on CF everywhere - but then skimp out on wing mirrors. Wheres the flipping logic? Weight saving, my furry butt. Thats pure laziness and cheap - and is a solid step into the world of kit car standards. It's a fudging 89k car, and they can't even bother moulding CF wing mirrors. 

Edited by Kalli
I swore

• Gold FFM
1 hour ago, CocoPops said:

You're absolutely right Andy. So you'd best get buried in your car as it won't get any better.... allow me! :lol: 

Hahahahahha. I raise you with one:

handbag.jpg

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I might have to side with Lotus on this one. I very much doubt the weight saving prooducing the mirrors in quality carbon is justifiable. As much as I feel the price of a 410 seems steep I also have to ask what else is out there at this price point with a carbon roof etc. Part of the reason the 410 will drive well is that Lotus have considered carefully where to use weight saving (high up) and where it won't make a blind bit of difference.

Trevor.

• Like 2

I'll get around to it at some point.

5 minutes ago, Trevsked said:

I might have to side with Lotus on this one. I very much doubt the weight saving prooducing the mirrors in quality carbon is justifiable. As much as I feel the price of a 410 seems steep I also have to ask what else is out there at this price point with a carbon roof etc. Part of the reason the 410 will drive well is that Lotus have considered carefully where to use weight saving (high up) and where it won't make a blind bit of difference.

Trevor.

Correct me if i'm wrong (and I may very well be!), but didn't Lotus make the Exige Cup (or 360) without a head unit, but never bothered to remove the speakers? I don't fully believe their light weight laboratory malarky! 

If I were spending 89k on a car, and I had all that CF bling - i'd EXPECT it to be consistent across the car, and not have a random splash of fake carbon fibre. 

They did remove the speakers in the Exige Cup cars, it's only that the dash moulding comes with speaker grills so they are still there otherwise you'd have even more unsightly holes.

Looks like you're really in the mood to put the boot in today Tom!

People at Lotus read these posts so hopefully they will get the message that real plastic is better than fake carbon going forward. Someone thought it was a good idea to put some on the Sport 380 Exige (optional thank goodness). They listened about the Lotus letters on the Evora 400 dash, hopefully they'll put a stop to this going forward.

I'd describe it as a minor annoyance than a major outrage personally and one that's easily corrected. I am extremely allergic to fake carbon, many have no problem with it, some here had even paid money to have bits carbon dipped so really not the end of the world!

I'm happy to sing from the Lotus Praise hymnbook most of the time. What they produce is absolutely fantastic, and I rarely have any gripes. But one thing they ALWAYS seem to slip up on is their presentation skills. 

We have a fantastic handling, fantastic looks (shape wise, etc), fantastic heritage, and lets be honest - cars punching well above their (price-point) weight.

Everything in that regard is great - but their presentation skills suck. Their leather is appallingly bad quality (my Exige v6 leather has what can only be described as stretch marks all over - replaced numerous times with warranty, and always the same), the paintwork is absolutely terrible (again, numerous areas where it's questionable) and their whole 'Lightweight Lab' is just a failed PR attempt at cost saving/supplier issues.

"WAHEY! We've saved an extra 200g by removing one of the two engine bay covers in the exige". What they don't tell you is that they're having supplier issues, and thats why they've removed only one of the two pieces. The car's price hasn't changed mind you - technically you're paying Lotus for having shitty supplier management skills, and failing to build part of the car to the full spec. 

I'm very much in agreement with you Pits in regards to allergic to fake carbon fibre. It's tacky and cheap - and on a car of that value, it simply belittles the fantastic work put into the car by Lotus - even more so when theres real carbon fibre 50 cm up to compare it to. 

Working in business transformation (change management/control specifically!), I can completely appreciate why Lotus do some of these cost cutting exercises - but at the same time, they need to consider the impact of some of these changes. It really does damage their brand image not just for what they're doing, but also what their rivals are doing in comparison. Could you imagine fake carbon fibre on a Porsche? Even on a Boxter? No. Jaguar F-Type? Aston Martin? Whilst it may make producing the car that bit cheaper, and give them a little bit more of a profit margin....could it be a decider for someone to choose an alternative marque? Did that small saving cost them a whole car? 

Rant mode off. 

1 hour ago, The Pits said:

They did remove the speakers in the Exige Cup cars, it's only that the dash moulding comes with speaker grills so they are still there otherwise you'd have even more unsightly holes.

Looks like you're really in the mood to put the boot in today Tom!

People at Lotus read these posts so hopefully they will get the message that real plastic is better than fake carbon going forward. Someone thought it was a good idea to put some on the Sport 380 Exige (optional thank goodness). They listened about the Lotus letters on the Evora 400 dash, hopefully they'll put a stop to this going forward.

I'd describe it as a minor annoyance than a major outrage personally and one that's easily corrected. I am extremely allergic to fake carbon, many have no problem with it, some here had even paid money to have bits carbon dipped so really not the end of the world!

Doc, which carbon bits are fake on the 380?

Kalli, sadly I have to agree. I know all these things are very subjective but, in my eyes, the new improved, lighter Evora 400 also looks rather cheaper than the late model Evora S Sr.   I appreciate that endless journalists have said what a huge improvement the 400 was over the Evora S, but the interior looks a bit cheaper. The seats look cheap compare to the Ricaros, the back parcel shelf / seats look cheaper, the car is much noisier inside, I guess the sound deadening material has been reduced. Sure it goes nicely, though you have to be right up the top end of the revs before you notice much difference ( I'd guess it doesn't have hugely more torque than the Evora S ). It rides well and brakes are excellent. But, To me, It's lost a bit of quality.  I rather like the much criticised eccentric interior of the older car as well, after a day or two you soon find your way around it in any event. I appreciate I'm in a minority here, but I think Lotus have to be very careful with the light weight thing, as it's easy to start making something lesser and cheaper, that they expect the customer to pay more f. for.  Particularly with the Evora 410, they need to keep their eye on the ball. Lightweight and expensive if the materials and technology warrant it, but just excluding parts and equipment, then trying to charge more for it, because the car is lighter like that, is not the way to go. 

• Like 1

Yes it's only the side pods with the S380 carbon pack option. Bit of an insult when you're paying £4000 for CARBON FIBRE!

Hopefully this will all be a thing of the past soon like the Lotus letters on the dash (though I quite liked them!). Trouble is, plenty here don't mind carbon dipped parts so I figure Lotus thought most people would prefer it to black plastic.

Youre buying a bespoke car in reality with a new Lotus so these small destails are easily changed. Plenty of 'carbon fibre effect' on other cars out there, the motor industry obviously thinks we're either really stupid or we actually like the stuff! I bet you some has found its way into a Porsche, I'll have a look out for some!

I have to agree to liking the original Evora interior (and front bumper) better. SR was the zenith. It's also true that torque isn't usefully better but I'm a big fan of the chargecooled motors, very smooth and they love to rev. 410 is a special thing though, it's the very quality of the real carbon that shows up the cheese dip.

• Like 1