free hit
counters
Boiled brake fluid? - Page 2 - Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres - The Lotus Forums - Official Lotus Community Partner Jump to content

IGNORED

Boiled brake fluid?

5 hours ago, NathR said:

Arun, have you noticed a significant improvement in the handling from upgrading to the CUP? Can you 'soften' them back down to a similar level as to not compromise the ride on the road? A major factor of upgrading to the V6 from my S2 was because the car is slightly (enough to warrant!) more enjoyable to use on the road when required.

It's still too early to make a proper conclusion, given I have only done two trackdays, with only one in the dry where I could start pushing the car, and that was a cold Brands Indy which is a very short collection of mostly slow-medium speed right-handers.

I will say, however, using the standard compression/rebound settings from factory, the ride compromise on the Cup Nitrons is hardly worth commenting on after 2000+ road miles, compared to the race pack Bilsteins. I have described things as slightly more fidgety, but with a much greater level of body control. Of course there is still scope to wind things back from the factory setup. I dare say Lotus specced these with Nitron to be more than manageable on the road, which they 100% are. There are quite a few people (as evident in this thread) that would probably would recommend a different setup to upgrade to from the Bilsteins than the 2-way Cup dampers.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Its funny... I can't actually remember what 'standard' felt like so difficult to comment on the difference since moving to the 1-way nitrons. What I can say is that it is firm, it can feel a little bumpy especially with pot holes, however you have in the region of 24 points of adjustment. Im running circa 13 clicks from hard (front) and 10 clicks from hard (rear) for road usage - I could go a little softer just need to get round to tweaking the settings and having a play.

As a comparison I run 8 and 6 on track and been pretty happy, you do get a lot more twitchiness on the rear but I don't have an issue with that, I prefer a bit of over steer to under steer. 

For sure the 2-way and 3-way has the major benefit of the remote adjustment - It does make life easier to be fair if you feel you'll be making regular setting changes.

For those just looking for a nice simple upgrade I'd be tempted by these from Ohlins, appreciate non-adjustable but a nice option if you want to upgrade but keep life simple by having just one 'setting' for everything. http://komo-tec.com/Shop/en/Exige/MK3-Toyota-V6/Suspension/Oehlins-suspension-kit-Exige-S-V6.html

www.alias23.com

1 hour ago, alias23 said:

For those just looking for a nice simple upgrade I'd be tempted by these from Ohlins, appreciate non-adjustable but a nice option if you want to upgrade but keep life simple by having just one 'setting' for everything. http://komo-tec.com/Shop/en/Exige/MK3-Toyota-V6/Suspension/Oehlins-suspension-kit-Exige-S-V6.html

Yikes ~£3.2k !

Thanks for the kind words chaps, I know Chris is ontop of this but if anyone ever needs to talk through suspension just drop me or Chris a message!

• Like 1

I've just scanned through every thread within the 'Ride/Handling/Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Tyres' forum. Perhaps I should've done this earlier as for one it probably would've answered my original question in post #1 :blush: (the thread has wondered slightly!) and also it would've given me some good tyre pressure advice as I was maintaining 32f/38r hot throughout the day.

It also hasn't helped my urge to change the suspension!

From reading previous discussions though I do have a couple of questions before deciding if I take the plunge with the Lotus 2 Ways if anyone can answer...

1) Am I correct in thinking these have scope to lower the car by around 15mm as per the CUP?

2) Is this likely to cause ground clearance issues? A subjective point I know but would be interested to hear peoples experience.

3) Are there any kind CUP owners willing to show some good pics of the canister locations? I'm particularly interested to see how the rear ones mount in the boot and how they plumb through the boot.

4) Being a paid up member of this forum (which I'm about to do) gives a 10% discount at my local dealer, I guess this is about as good a 'deal' as there is to be had on these (providing they honour it for 'upgrades')?

Lastly, I was going to keep the car standard, I know from previous cars that forums are bad news! :lol:

19 hours ago, NathR said:

1) Am I correct in thinking these have scope to lower the car by around 15mm as per the CUP?

2) Is this likely to cause ground clearance issues? A subjective point I know but would be interested to hear peoples experience.

3) Are there any kind CUP owners willing to show some good pics of the canister locations? I'm particularly interested to see how the rear ones mount in the boot and how they plumb through the boot.

4) Being a paid up member of this forum (which I'm about to do) gives a 10% discount at my local dealer, I guess this is about as good a 'deal' as there is to be had on these (providing they honour it for 'upgrades')?

www.alias23.com

@Pat@Hofmanns would be best placed to advise on if the 2-way lotus kit will lower to your requirements, personally I found I needed to go lower for the stance I wanted to achieve. 

I've had no major clearance issues, but I don't use my car everyday so I rarely have to tackle everyday obstacles such as multi-storey car parks for example. Speed bumps in general i've been okay only a few slight touches, the great thing about the front splitter is that it is actually quite flexible, god knows why anyone would want to replace with carbon as regardless of being lower or not its a sitting target to get 'crunched'

As a fully paid up member you may want to give @Bibs a shout as he can source Lotus parts, offer the 10% discount direct, and I guess it all helps with funding this great community on TLF. Alternatively give Hofmanns a call as they can supply and have a lot of experience in fitting the Nitrons to the v6, also ensure you get a good geo at the same time, no point upgrading to fancy suspension and keeping to standard geo. All the best with the step change!

• Like 2

www.alias23.com

Nathan, the rear reservoirs don't intrude into the boot space on the Cups. They lie just outside the carpet lined area and there are small cutouts in the front corners of the boot lining to gain access to the compression adjusters.

• Like 1

It's also worth mentioning that Hofmanns use a different piston to the factory Nitron setup, and also employ bespoke valving. 

I have no affiliation with Hofmanns BTW, but that's where I'll be heading.

Shortly.

Spot on Dean, we do have a different spec with valving a piston use to the standard Nitron kits. 

Nathan, I'll PM you my number - more than happy to talk you through options and explain any questions you may have (and no I won't just try and sell you a Hofmanns kit!). 

• 5 months later...
On 3/1/2016 at 10:48, alias23 said:

To @T3Jn point lowering the exige makes such a visual improvement to the look of the car... It actually looks very exotic when its not hiked up like a 4x4!

IMG_4049.JPG

On 3/1/2016 at 09:37, LF1 said:

Re lowering - mine was lowered at the front by 25mm and rear by 10mm IIRC when put on the Nitrons. Gives it a more aggressive look if nothing else :)

You can see it parked next to a car on standard setup here (mine is on the right):

https://www.lotusregister.com/exige/lf1/victory-81-australia-2013/albums/anglesey-may-2014/lf1-4

Are you both setup now lower than a standard V6 CUP Nitron setup?

Thanks!

I don't belive there is any rake on the Cup setup, my rear ride height is the same as the Cup but the front lower by about 10mm I believe. I don't know about @alias23. @Randy is the man to talk to. 

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com

1 hour ago, LF1 said:

I don't belive there is any rake on the Cup setup, my rear ride height is the same as the Cup but the front lower by about 10mm I believe. I don't know about @alias23. @Randy is the man to talk to. 

I'm lower than a Cup, a Cup in standard ride height still a little 4x4 to me.

www.alias23.com

19 hours ago, Edison Ngu said:

I thought cup suspension is height adjustable too?

Indeed it is.

see....

26316514966_4a76c11011_b.jpg

tbh I got a bit carried away, initially wanting to add 10mm or so of rake. Got the ok from Nitron after I let them know how much thread I had left on the damper body and the car stil feels spot-on, so it'll stay like it is for now.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Arun_D said:

Indeed it is.

see....

26316514966_4a76c11011_b.jpg

tbh I got a bit carried away, initially wanting to add 10mm or so of rake. Got the ok from Nitron after I let them know how much thread I had left on the damper body and the car stil feels spot-on, so it'll stay like it is for now.

Hi Arun,

How much did you drop front & rear?

Thanks

There's a set of barely used 3 way Nitrons that @Pat@Hofmanns configured and @Randy installed going to be available for sale soon for a V6. If anyone is interested PM me, will be going on the classifieds when I get some photos.

Lotus Register - https://www.lotusregister.com