free hit
counters
Cam Belt Change - Engine/Ancilliaries - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Buddsy

Cam Belt Change

Hi Chaps

Just thought Id start a post about my first Cam belt change I am trying to do with the engine in Situ. Water pump too

I have a new belt plus the other belts ready at the same time.

So far Ive got Johns @molemot excellent .pdf he made a few years back to guide me.

1. Ive warmed the car up and removed the oil. (Im doing and oil change too)
  2. Removed the under tray. Ive always had a bit of a leak from the water pump and thought it was leaking from the mating face but on closer inspection and from the issues @Paul Coleman Paul Coleman has had with his SJ reconditioned on I now understand I have quite a leak from the weep hole.
  3. As Im using the Evans waterless I jacked the front up and using Drain Container from machine mart I saved the coolant.
  4. I removed the spark plugs.

Next job on molemots list is to jack one wheel up and align the marks on the cam sprockets.

I also want to drain and refill my gearbox oil. Ive always had a slight leak so have no idea how much fluid I have in there now? I an wondering if I fill with 3 Litres if I can make some kind of dip stick on the fill bung? I wonder if there is some moving parts under this to make it impossible though?

Im interested to see the internals of the water pump and how this has been faring with the Evans waterless compared to the more usual type.

Well thats where Im at so far.

Buddsy

• Like 1

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Good luck Buddy. I've done it in situ. Very awkward but possible. Take your time and if you get a bit annoyed walk away for 20 mins. You'll need cushions to lay across the engine. 

@PhilW Cheers I did have to get on top the engine when my pipe came off the water pump. That was a pain to get fixed back on and left me with quite a few bruises on my chest. I will go for the cushions this time!

Buddsy

I'm currently on my 3rd water pump since July!! I think I've finally stopped it leaking now (fingers crossed). The first two exchange units both leaked and now I have a brand new one.

If I've learnt anything from doing my water pumps it would be to try and fit the gasket to the block rather than fit it to the pump and then try and fit the whole lot. Also a couple of studs in the block would help to hold the gasket in the correct place and allow you to fit the pump correctly first time. Of course the suds need to be long enough so that once the pump is fitted they can be removed, so just finger tight as well.

The lower pipe on the water pump is very close to the timing belt and needs to be fitted so that it's twisted and helps keep it away from rubbing on the belt.

If I'd have been using the Evans Waterless coolant (which I did consider initially) I would have spent about a million pounds on it by now!! I am so glad I just went with regular anti-freeze/water.

Caveat: all of my experience is with the S1.

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

Hi Buddsy,

Hope your belt change is not too full of teeth gnashing.

Interested in the fact you are using Evans waterless. I also have it in mine. I'll be keen to know how things look inside.

Martin.

• Like 1

Cheers Martin.

How you getting on with the Evans? I really like it but am interested to see what the internals of the pump look like. I havent done many miles but have had it in for about 3 years. 

Buddsy

2 hours ago, Paul Coleman said:

I'm currently on my 3rd water pump since July!! I think I've finally stopped it leaking now (fingers crossed). The first two exchange units both leaked and now I have a brand new one.

I thought about going for a new one but £577.00 & VAT??!!! Was yours that much?

With the correct parts I would think a rebuilt one should be fine. I see PNM rebuild and then pressure test them. I might give them a go or DIY

Buddsy

Hi Buddsy,

I was a late convert to Evans, about two and a half years behind you, but it made so much sense especially in a turbo running high temperatures, plus the benefit of not corroding the insides.

No doubt a day will come when I will see the insides and the results.

I have an old Series 3 Daimler Double Six and will put Evans in that next year as it is due a change then. These were always marginal on temperature, so it can only be good for it.

The bonus is you only need it once of course!

Martin.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Buddsy said:

I thought about going for a new one but £577.00 & VAT??!!! Was yours that much?

With the correct parts I would think a rebuilt one should be fine. I see PNM rebuild and then pressure test them. I might give them a go or DIY

Buddsy

It was about £120 I think but it's for an S1 - not sure if it was different for later cars?

• Like 1

Lotus Esprit [meaning] a 1:1 scale Airfix kit with a propensity to catch fire

£120.00 seems more like it!

Martin since using Evans my temp has been very stable. I did get my rad recored and fitted 3 new Tripac fans so I dont know which or all are doing a good job.

Buddsy 

Buddsy,

As far as a gearbox dipstick goes, I would not try and add something to the fill bung. With your skill, just make up a tool that you put in the hole when the bung is out to let you know if the level is correct. Easier I would think.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Bumpersticker2.jpg

1 hour ago, ramjet said:

I would not try and add something to the fill bung. 

I was just thinking of a stick poking down with a low marker on it? If that fouls the internals a thing that goes in with the bung out might have the same problem?

You way might be better though if it is possible as I wouldnt want to change any splash oiling that goes on inside. I would just like to be able to check how much oil I have in there time to time.

Buddsy

Well I got a bit done tonight. 

• Timing marks lined up
  • Alternator off

Next I hoping to remove the big rounded coolant tube and the frame bit that holds the and front of the alternator.

Buddsy

IMG_20160221_211956195[1].jpg

IMG_20160229_222047926[1].jpg

• Like 1

Do you always work standing on your head Buddsy? Or is that one of the special Lotus positions?

• Like 1

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Bumpersticker2.jpg

My recon coolant pump came from PNM. I've had no problems with it, and have done a few thousands miles since it was fitted.

• Like 1

Margate Exotics.

8 hours ago, ramjet said:

Do you always work standing on your head Buddsy? Or is that one of the special Lotus positions?

Thats the Lotus Position...are you the right way round in Aus then?

@ian29gte cheers I think I saw you post about those before and I am thinking of giving those guys a go.

Buddsy

Well if I'm upside down, being in The Land Downunder and your photo shows you upside down, that must mean that you are the right way up presumably, so all is good with the world.

Carry on.

• Like 1

Bumpersticker2.jpg

On 29/02/2016 at 13:12, PhilW said:

Good luck Buddy. I've done it in situ. Very awkward but possible. Take your time and if you get a bit annoyed walk away for 20 mins. You'll need cushions to lay across the engine. 

Degree of awkwardness varies a lot between non-A/C and A/C cars. On non-A/C pretty much everything can be done from the top. On A/C the comp gets in the way and quite a lot of faffing about under the car. 

• Like 1

^^^Yep mines got air con...wahooo?

I want to get the coolant pump off ASAP as I know I need to send it away. Thats my next goal.

Buddsy 

Should be shouldnt it. I like the idea PNM Pressure test after though.

Buddsy

It's an easy job to do until it leaks when you've put it all back again!

Buddsy, don't know if your pump is the same, but on mine there's a hex-head bolt that needs replacing with a caphead for easy access, M6 I think.

Margate Exotics.

On 29/02/2016 at 23:43, Buddsy said:

IMG_20160229_222047926[1].jpg

I'm sure my oil filler is at the back of the motor... is mine wrong?