free hit
counters
Soon to be Evora owner with a few questions… - Page 3 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Soon to be Evora owner with a few questions…

4 hours ago, C8RKH said:

So why doesn't a Cayman or 911 get a similar reputation for £10k bills for an engine that goes pop?

The 911 and Cayman of that era have a terrible reputation for engines going bang - to the extent that even care which weren't affected were affected by the rumours.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This is the only pic I have which my brother took during the handover!

HI Mike, Yes the car came home with me at the weekend!  After a second test drive on Saturday I was completely satisfied with the operation of the clutch and the gear change which was as it s

Think of it this way: Unless abused (or faulty) there is no reason an Evora clutch should not see 60k = £3K Rear Tyres last about 10K, fronts 30k (non S 18/19 so the cheapest), so 6 sets of

Posted Images

Those older Vauxhalls were a piece of cake - no need to remove the gearbox to change the clutch.  It's getting silly now.

British Fart to Florida, Nude to New York, Dunce to Denmark, Numpty to Newfoundland.  And Shitfaced Silly Sod to Sweden.

14 hours ago, C8RKH said:

So why doesn't a Cayman or 911 get a similar reputation for £10k bills for an engine that goes pop?

I wish I knew Andy. I have no time for Porsche and I simply do not understand why they have such a cast-iron reputation that is clearly unfounded.

Mike S

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

HI Mike,

Yes the car came home with me at the weekend! :thumbsup:

After a second test drive on Saturday I was completely satisfied with the operation of the clutch and the gear change which was as it should be through all the gears. 

LotusSilverstone went to over and above to prepare the car to an extremely high standard and IMHO they deserve their reputation as one of the best Lotus dealers in the country.

The car performed faultlessly on the journey home with everything working as it should and I'm extremely happy with it to say the least.

Thanks all for the advice and support over the last week, these cars really are something else!

• Like 2
  • Gold FFM

Woo hoo, another new owner. Well done, congratulations. Have you stopped smiling yet? :)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Nice :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Huge congrats!

That is a great looking Car.

You won't regret it.

Ref posting other pics, I reckon the average time it takes an Evora owner to actually stop driving and take some photos is anything between 4 days and two weeks... :P

Thanks. I was originally thinking of adding a Sports Racer style wrap to it, but after viewing the car in the flesh I decided to keep it stock (well for a while anyway). 

The Oyster interior definitely creates a sense of occasion when you open the door and it seems to compliment the blue exterior.

Typically you wait ages for a specific colour and two come along - http://www.pistonheads.com/classifieds/used-cars/lotus/evora/lotus-evora-na-2-2/5372368?v=b#.  I see there is now another Persian Blue Evora for sale on PistonHeads although that car has the black interior, but its definitely a stand out colour IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM
On 3/3/2016 at 20:17, C8RKH said:

They do if you do a quick search on the internet. Plenty on there about the issues. 

One evening I did consider perhaps buying a diesel Panamera as a "different" runabout (I know, but it did potentially address a couple of needs), but a quick look and there was barely a car for sale that didn't include "Engine replaced at....." in the advert.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

7 minutes ago, Colin P said:

They do if you do a quick search on the internet. Plenty on there about the issues. 

One evening I did consider perhaps buying a diesel Panamera as a "different" runabout (I know, but it did potentially address a couple of needs), but a quick look and there was barely a car for sale that didn't include "Engine replaced at....." in the advert.

Far from me being a Porsche fan or even just defend it but must be said that maybe there's plenty of issues on Porsches because there's plenty of them! I mean it's statistically obvious that it's easier to have a faulty item amongst many (Porsches) rather than amongst few (Lotuses). And generally speaking, people go seek for help on internet forums when they have a problem and look for advice; happy users usually are a lot more silent. ;)

I've been a happy user of the Evora for many years and never even thought about looking for a forum about it; I did that when I had the "problem" of deciding wether to get the 400 (or the SR).

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Fair comment with which I entirely agree, I was really making the point that if you are considering buying either car you are more easily going to find out details about that than any "issue" with the Evora clutch.

Panamera is another matter. This was simply an hour or so checking classifieds. A ridiculous percentage of cars for sale with replacement engines.

My son is currently saving for a 2007/8ish Cooper S, another car which if you overly believe the internet is merely a paper weight in waiting.

A Lotus is for driving, pork is for breakfast.

If you believed everything the internet said, you wouldn't leave the house - let alone buy a used sports car!

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

On 4 March 2016 at 12:39, NeedForSpeed said:

Voted the poll!

Hope you didn't mind me voting although the cars gone. The clutch felt the same at 30k miles as it did at 11k miles when I bought it. The clutch worry is not really a concern from what I've read over the past few years.

Only one or two unlucky owners (might be wrong but seem to remember one did do some burnouts in Brighton?) and let's be honest, it could happen to any car if the previous owner didn't consistently operate it properly. 

Ultimate example is happening to me once on a 2 year Honda S2000 from Hynd land Honda in Glasgow, bought the car Saturday and it happened on day 2 driving it south on a Sunday morning. Pulling away from M6 toll and it slipped!! Called them on Monday morning and they asked me to take it to nearest Honda dealership who confirmed it.. (Replaced at their cost without any quibble. Great customer service from Hyndland Honda).

That was on a 19k mile Honda!!!! Let's give Lotus a break ehh?

On 7 March 2016 at 10:49, GlenC said:

This is the only pic I have which my brother took during the handover!

FullSizeRender.thumb.jpg.c0dd3e8ade04131

That's gorgeous, I remember picking up mine from B & C.. Happy Days???

On 8 marzo 2016 at 18:06, auRouge said:

Hope you didn't mind me voting although the cars gone. The clutch felt the same at 30k miles as it did at 11k miles when I bought it. The clutch worry is not really a concern from what I've read over the past few years.

First of all you don't need my permission to vote the poll!<_< Then... The car I was referring (my old Evora) has gone too, so I'm in your same position.

Now let me say something about the Evoras clutch: when I got the first one back in 2011 the car made a strange noise from the transmission righ after the clutch disengaged (pedal all the way up). When I brought the car to the dealer for the 1000km oil change they told me it's normal for a new car (but that wasn't the first new manual car I'd had ever bought) and it would have gone away with time and mileage and that's what happened indeed. Now seems to me the 400 makes the same noise, a bit less noticeable but maybe this is just because of the better sound-insulation and louder stock exhaust.