free hit
counters
Weight of an N/A versus a Sport 410? - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
superdavelotus

Weight of an N/A versus a Sport 410?

I am just reading an interesting thread about the Sport 410 and Evora 400 weights etc. It got me wondering about the weight of my NA and could I shave it down to the 1300KG target weight?

I see in my books it says 1382KG with full tank of fuel which is 60 litres.

I just checked and it looks like the fuel equates to 45KG which makes the NA 1337KG.

It would be interesting to see what needs to be done to get the NA down to 1300KG.

1. Tailgate is very heavy on these cars as I found out when changing my tailgate struts!

2. Seats are also very heavy especially as they look light.

3. Exhaust system is very heavy. I have got rid of my cat and now got a sports exhaust fitted which is much lighter. Shame I didn't weigh the two. I will have to look into this but I reckon there's at least 10KG saving there already?

Regards,

David

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

37Kg should't be too difficult to find without big sacrifices. The seats are reportedly much heavier than you'd think, obviously the exhaust can be slimmed down... do you have back seats in yours? Those should peel out and can save a few KGs no doubt.

Exhaust may be quite chunky - some stock systems are, some aren't

I wonder also, can you remove the engine cover from them? It doesn't seem to do anything to me...

The Evora hasn't been fitted with an engine cover for almost 2 years now. It's a kilo max though, it's not very heavy.

That kilo here and kilo there sure adds up. A few "famous" items have come from maniacal weight-saving. The porsche balsa-wood gear knob and porsche crest sticker are two good examples from everyone's favourite German marque ;)

They stopped fitting it for cosmetic reasons in truth.

There's a kilo of paint on the car, worked for the Silver Arrows!

US weights spreadsheet has OEM engine cover from original Evora at 5.0 lbs and the cross member it slots into at a further 1.4 lbs, hence around 3 kg total weight

I do believe on the F40 Enzo only permitted them 2 litres of paint for the whole car - hence being able to see the carbon weave through the paint

I still have my old back box and cat so I am going to weigh them tomorrow and post them on here.

Back seats are pretty light, just seat pads, nothing like the front seats which weight a ton. I've had both out so I know first hand

It's weird those seats do not look heavy - are they metal frames?

Yes, steel frame inside on steel subframe and steel runners and they are adjustable. I reckon they must weigh about 15kg each as a guess when I took mine out. Someone on here must still have their old seats around after fitting new ones from Lotus parts sale?

A set of CF or glass fibre one piece bucket seat would see some considerable savings with using aluminium subframe a.

Yes that's exactly what's needed Bibs!

I weight my old parts last night as follows:-

NA Standard Exhaust 17.7KG

3rd Cat 3KG

I need to take a seat out next week and weigh that. Also I need to pop to my exhaust manufacturer and weigh the other back box they made as a template and the cat by pass pipe. I will post weights next week.

The Recaro Sportster CS seats weigh 15KG each according to my scales. I reckon 10KG per pair could be saved if you go down the CF or fibreglass one piece route.

I will weigh the new back box this afternoon.

Just reading the difference between the standard alloy wheels 46KG per set (10.4KG front, 12.6KG rear), I have the forged alloys on mine which are a bit lighter at 43KG per set (9.5KG front, 12KG rear).

I agree with you on that one. My first Esprit had GT3 bucket seats which were very comfortable!

I'd like the Evora seat to be much lower, but other wise it's pretty comfortable.

35 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Std. recaro sportser CS seats would appear to be 14.7kg each fitted.

Wow, much heavier than you'd think. I guess that includes the heating gubbins too?

The Sportster is the same used on all the pre-400 Evoras isn't it?

If you're looking at the weights of components like exhausts and seats there is a spreadsheet of Evora parts weights and alternatives here: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1owtKCrsxDfFukxydG82NiN6gHxjIJFIIyXYceHhTXkY/edit#gid=8

This is courtesy some of the guys on the other side of the pond on another lotus forum.