free hit
counters
Battery, where to buy? - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I may have a dying battery but not 100% sure yet. Since Xmas I've been using a spare car we were supposed to be selling but due to bad weather I decided to save the Evora etc. As a result, the battery has died twice, it could just be lack of use but I suspect it's on it's way out. Last time I charged it up was last week but I have to confess that I only used it once or twice. It also could be cold weather and also could be the charge I am using is not fully charging it?

Anyway, I am on the hunt for a new battery and my first choice would be to put the same make of battery in which is a Varta E43 blue battery. It looks like the original battery I think but can't be sure? The car is almost 7 years old so if it is the original battery then it's had a excellent life!

So does anyone know where to get these from other the fleebay?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

When my battery died Brandon from Murray Lotus recommended getting a Bosch battery. Ended up getting this one: http://www.carparts4less.co.uk/cp4l/p/////?444771007&0&cc5_996 and everything seems all good.

£75.60 and there are usually some discount codes. CP10LESS gives you £10 off - not sure if it works still but give it a go!

Hope that helps.

Az

My recommendation is the Varta Silver Dynamic E38. An alternative I nearly went for was a Yuasa YBX5000 series.

The E38 is a smidgeon under £66 on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-E38-Silver-Dynamic-096-100-067-Car-Battery-12V-74AH-574-402-075-/251195095628?hash=item3a7c64fa4c:m:ms7bTon2NIHKC2tz3LFcG8g

Edit: Here are the specs pages from the Varta website. The E43 and E38 are the same dimensions (click on the Technical Information tab) :

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/automotive/blue-dynamic/572-409-068

http://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/products/automotive/silver-dynamic/574-402-075

Edited by EuropaSman
Added in some useful info

I used tayna ltd to supply my latest battery, they stock Varta batteries and the prices seem competitive.

hope this helps 

Dan

Varta E38 Silver is the uprated version of the OEM E43 Blue with higher capacity and longer warranty for a few pounds more - loads of sellers on eBay

Hi and thanks for the replies. The problem with buying a battery from Ebay is comeback and weight of sending such item back in the even of failure. I would really like to buy locally if possible so I can take it back if I ever have a problem. I spoke to PNM yesterday who can get me an E43 for £65 which I thought was a good price. Not sure if this was a special price to me or not as I've had a lot off them lately.

I may ask how much the E38 battery is out of interest. My E43 battery has lasted 7 years so I am well happy with that. I just need to see if it's the battery on the way out or just lack of use lately.

Regards,

David Walters

PS. I've just checked out the price on an E38 and they are only £66 delivered. I also have an Ebay seller in Abergele, N.Wales which is only 40 miles away which is great is I need to take back. Thanks Tom for the heads-up!

11 hours ago, EuropaSman said:

My recommendation is the Varta Silver Dynamic E38. An alternative I early went for was a Yuasa YBX5000 series.

The E38 is a smidgeon under £66 on Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Varta-E38-Silver-Dynamic-096-100-067-Car-Battery-12V-74AH-574-402-075-/251195095628?hash=item3a7c64fa4c:m:ms7bTon2NIHKC2tz3LFcG8g

At the time the E38 was well under the price B&C quoted me for an E43 (but that was a Lotus price they quoted me for the OEM battery). For me it was a no-brainer, what with the higher capacity and the longer warranty (as Tom points out - totally forgot about that).

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

Apologies, I didn't see your earlier post recommending the E38. With a 5 year warranty, it the one to go for. At least I know it's a direct fitment if you've already fitted one to your car. I can't believe how cheap is it? On my Audi A5, it's a huge battery and also needs to be programmed into the car, £260 and there's only one battery that correctly fit it!

Yes, I was surprised as well Dave about the price of the E38, especially as the Silver Dynamic appears to be Varta's top of the range battery. I think Vata is a pretty good brand of battery - I've got a Varta in my Mk2 Leon daily driver (I think it's a Blue Dynamic) that's 9 years old and still gives out a good cranking current at start up.

My theory is that the parasitic drain (I believe that's the technical term) from the alarm system hastens the demise of the battery in the Evora because it doesn't take long before the battery gets into a charge state low enough to damage itself, a.k.a. deep discharge damage.  I think this is the case because just before I bought my Evora it had been standing outside in very cold weather for I believe a couple of weeks at the dealership and the battery went flat (I had a similar experience with the Europa S I used to have albeit the car was garaged but not being used draining the winter months - I was lucky that time and got away with not knackering the battery). After a few weeks of having the Evora the battery conditioner was always in top up mode, so at the next service I asked for a capacity check and it failed. Having said that I've read elsewhere that some owners have had flat/flatish batteries because of the interior light being left on. My daily driver automatically shuts off the interior light after a couple of minutes of the car being locked, but I assume the Evora doesn't have that function - I've not checked though.

Update,

I charge it up at the beginning of the week (not sure if it was a full charge) and so far it's been fine. I've started using it again and this morning the car was frosty and I thought this would have killed the battery off for sure but no, it started straight away. Today I actually managed to put some miles on it (80 miles) as all other days were just to the shops and back which is only a few miles.

I think some time in the near future I'll have to order this battery but at least I know it's quite cheap!

Update, battery dies again yesterday so I ordered a Varta E38 from Tanya Batteries via Ebay for £65.85 all in (they are based in Abergele, N.Wales). Service was excellent! Ordered lunchtime yesterday, free delivery next working day. Got an email straight away confirming order then another 10 minutes later to say to was dispatched via UK Mail. Then I got an email from UK mail telling me that they would deliver next with a further email giving me a 1 hour delivery slot! Battery arrived at time stated 14:30 and was fitted 15 minutes later with old battery in boot and off to recycling centre. They love my car down there, it always causes a lot of attention!

So anyone needing a battery then I would 100% recommend Tanya Batteries.

• Like 1