free hit
counters
Brembo/High spec brakes - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums - Lotus Community Partner #ForTheOwners Jump to content

IGNORED

Brembo/High spec brakes

Hello all.

I've got an '88 Turbo, with the PNM engineering 'High Spec' 4 pot caliper kit. (as on the picture below).

However, braking is, well.. so so..

Anyways, just got a pair of original V8 Brembo calipers, courtesy of Kato (thanks) and the Parts sale.

Does anyone know if the brackets that came withmy high spec it will fit the Brembo ones, or what the score is here?

Eventually I want to end up with V8 front brakes, but I don't know what other bits I'm going to need given I already have the high spec calipers and 285mm discs..

Cheers.

002.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The size of the disc will determine if the bracket will work. You could just get the V8/S4s bracket from Lotus and that would suit you, then just get the discs you need the same size as the stockers. Remember though that the S4s Brakes were brembo's and the discs were 296mm iirc.

Artie

89 White Esprit SE

...a few little upgrades....

93 RX7.....Silverstone

....slightly modded...Muahaha...

New Addition:

1990 300ZX TT......Hmmm

Hi All,

Glyn, You'll need new brackets, hub and discs. The Hi-Spec parts are no good to the Brembo as the discs mount to rear as opposed to the Brembo which is mounted to the wheel studs.

Unfortunately braking sensation will not change as it's your braking master cylinder and vacuum which give that 'dead feeling'. The Brembo has roughly the same surface braking area for pads and similar piston size. What makes the Brembos so great on a V8 in the newer braking system, it's like driving a modern car!

Jon, You were lucky when I told you about the hubs for

Edited by superdavelotus

Hello all. Many thanks for the replies! I see Brakes are all close to our hearts :huh:)

To answer the questions.. I was using GT3 17" alloys, but I'm now on the Sport 350 alloys. (Nice!!)

I'm more than happy to swap to the later hubs, as it's all part of updating my car anyway. If this is the way to go, then I'll do that.

Dave, if you could find out if PNM want the kit back, I'd be most appreciative.

I understand my braking may not be that much better, but at least my car will look more 'oem' which is what I'm after.

Also, I've always told my insurance company my mods are only to update older parts, which is why they don't hammer me for modifying it. So I'd better go with that really :()

Cheers all..

Glyn.

I knew they were doing something..

But if I still want to use these brembo's if possible. There's nothing wrong with the High specs, I just want something that is OEM. And the brembos do seem a little bigger.

It may be they have an upgrade kit for the brembos.

Don't want to go too massive on the front just yet as my rears are standard still!

Also, if I go for much bigger discs, I'll want discs and bells to keep the weight down. Adding huge discs in one piece would add loads to my unsprung weight, which I couldn't bare to do having spent a small fortune on titanium bolts.

My car is 120kg lighter than standard and I want to try and keep it that way :huh:

I'm working on this atm with AP and some other companies.

AP have been absolutly brilliant in dishing out info, I would totally recomend their products too.

I've virtually completed a very accurate 3D model of the front hub assembly and partial rear assembly so I can test disks without actually leaving the room B)

The main problem I have encountered is the rears and the original brembo parking brake which hasn't enough reach to get a really good disk on the back. The S350 being the exception if you want to pay

facebook = [email protected]

Hi Guys,

First of all sorry to jump in on your thread but i am in a very similar position as Glyn with his brakes and would appreciate the wisdom of Jon and Dave too :huh:

I have had some contact with Kato who advised similar with my SE.

I too have the PNM Hi spec 4 pot kit on my standard 16" and rear PNM (Brembo?) kit on 17" OZ Route SE alloys and am interested in the possible swap/buy back.

I am soon to get the S4s Rims fitted to my SE and also want to improve braking as my performance has also moved along since my fitting of the original PNM kit and indeed is set to move further forwards :(

I would like to add the bigger hubs and go for a 6 pot kit /AP type setup.

Dave, do you think you could have a word with Peter on my behalf too? What do you recommend as 'the best' in light of the braking system on our 4 cylinder cars for VERY fast road and occasional track day use?

Jon, i know you are a fan of redstuff pads but i have to say i am a little unsure about them having had them on for a few months. Steve my mechanic recommends the Pagid pads any experience of these mate? They are about 4 times the price as i understand it. I had the Hawk pads originally but i felt they were only marginally better.

Your thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Rog B)

Edited by SE Owner :-D

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

BTW I'm no expert by any means, I've just done a lot of reading and question asking to solve my own issues - anything I say is just my experiences shared.

IMO you can waste a lot of money on brakes.

Example - I drove 200 miles the other day in the GT3 and used the brakes probably 3 times, I kid not becuase I constantly try to judge the road/throttle without using them. Having a

Thanks Jon,

Appreciate your sharing the wisdom.

I'll see what transpires with the possible PNM thing and see what the AP options are.

Im changing my rims because of a) the looks and B) the lack of decent rubber to shoe original SE rims

Definately concur with the amount/quality of rubber in contact with the road!

I will see what happens with what i have with the new rims and fresh rubber!

Thanks again,

Rog

2009 World Singstar Champion

No I don't like the Europa, Evora or Exos.

"Like a cockmonkey with 3 cocks."

SLEG_Rog.jpg

Guest glyn.harper
The biggest plus for this system imo is the ventilated disks and the big 4 pot gripper on the front which will afford you repetative braking in harsh conditions and much less fade on the big stops from 100mph+

(not that anyone drives above 70mph cus that'd be illegal).

I must just point out I do legally drive over 70mph.. I live on the Isle of Man and it's still legal here to do theoretically any speed in a derestricted zone, as long as you are not racing on the highway, or driving dangerousley. In a car capable of 160mph I don't see how 120 is dangerous :huh: In fact part of my drive home when the road is clear, is a 120mph 1/2 mile straight.. and it's all legal!

At the end of the straight, you have a 100mph right hand bend, then you have to slam on for the 30 limit at the end of it. (and they wonder why there are so many accidents here in TT week!)

So.. stopping power is quite useful.

Many thanks to Jonathan for the rendering. That looks ace!

I think what I need to do, is replicate the V8 setup on my car. From what I'm hearing, it should provide more than enough stopping power.

My car is an '88 so I don't have ABS on it. I think anymore braking and I'd be locking up all over the place, which wouldn't be so good really!

So.. looks like I need to get the bits and bobs. Does anyone therefore know if the brackets off the V8 will fit my car, so I can mount the calipers? I know I'll need the hubs to fit the discs, but that's fair enough. My wheel bearings are shot on one side anyway, and apparently the hubs come with the bearings in them.

Watched my car getting it's final 'rub down' today, ready for painting next week.. so there will be one less Pearl white Esprit, and one more black one!

Edited by glyn.harper

Hi Gyln.... Your car is individual in pearl white and with the V8 kit looks ace in the snaps on lew.. I'd not be changing to black if I were you!!! I have V8 brembos on my car and I changed the front hubs and the caliper brackets do fit your car fine...once hubs are changed it's just a case of bolt on's.... I have done the rears too.. they need the V8 hoses too.... Got all my bits second hand....

Mark

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

Ah Isle of Man - lucky you, you get to speed for free !!

That factored the population must be next to zero over there with all the speed related deaths and all :D

(so they keep telling us)

Anyways, the V8 system would be better, certainly a start.

From the calipers the disk size is your next friend, many places do disk size upgrades or you could get custom disks made from a rotor and bell.

I'm just trying to get a sample made for mine, they are AP approved so if anyone needs the info gimme a shout.

The standard brembo mounts will fit the front upright - they are the same Lotus part #

There is an odd part but I think thats for the NA, however when I looked at it I was assured the brembo brackets retro-fitted the hubs. From there, its the outer hub, caliper and later type disk - easy (remember the wheel hub diameter is smaller so you might have to shim the wheel).

Guest glyn.harper

Cheers for that Mark. It's comforting to know I can get the parts to fit mine ok.

Was the rear V8 upgrade much hassle? And did you need to change the master cylinder or anything?

Do you get the braking you need?

As for pearl white, I do agree it looked great.

Only problem was, everytime it's had a new part fitted it's been painted a slightly different shade of pearl white! it was about 8 different colours at the end.

So, if you're paying

Edited by glyn.harper

Rears no problem to fit you just need calipers, discs, pads, brackets from a V8 and longer hoses.. as for performance, I have no idea as my car still need a few bits doing before i can drive it although the peddal feels great, hahaha.... I got the whole rear kit from douglas valley for a shade over

Mark MacKenzie  Elise S2 135 Sport 

hi , i like many picked up calipers at the parts sale, just to clarify a hub to fit brembo brakes will accept AP sport 350 4 pots?, and does the brembo mounting bracket fit the AP 4 pots also.

cheers

-oh , anyone with pre brembo S4 will not got V8 wheels on the front without maching hub or wheel ( as i found out today)

dave

The front upright should fit the AP brackets, they are the same part # all the way through the later Esprit range.

The calipers and the brackets are NOT interchangable as the bolt spacing is 130 brembo and 150 AP. The offset is also likely to be different.

BTW I have a set of un-used PNM 321mm x 30mm rear disks for grabs as soon as my standard disks arrive.

They 'fit' brembo rear calipers if you fancy having a go :(