free hit
counters
Marcasite...again - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Hi all

I know this has cropped up over the years and indeed I've searched the old posts out. TonyK has tracked down a replacement in the US but suppliers either won't ship or want the best part of $300 to ship it over more than doubling the cost.

I'm even happy to use a faux suede but can't find a dark enough brown. But on a positive I have a growing collection of swatches!!

Has anyone had any luck in the UK finding anything similar to brown Marcasite.

Ta

Mark

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Mark

Jon used somebody who travels to the US on business to bring it back with him to the UK. Do you know anybody who could do that for you?

Paul.

I've seen this Krypton Suede and I think it is still too thick to correctly fold around the curves of the dash and binnacle in particular. I also looked at another interesting material sourced from France, but decided that this too did not have the correct properties.

The best material I have found is a synthetic velvet, which is really what Marcasite was. The benefit being that examples are available in a very wide range of colours, and readily available.

I'd be interested in what owners of Marcasite cars have chosen, and their results. My interior has just arrived at the trimmers.

You do make laugh David. You persist with the opinion that Krypton is too thick when there are people who have used it successfully!  Look on this forum there are photos of cars interiors and Tony K even comparing it to what must be the best example of  a surviving Marcasite car.  Not saying other materials can't be used, but evidence beats opinion in my book. 

I suppose @winners that depends upon how you measure success.

I've yet to find a material that is identical in both pile, sheen and backing weave of Marcasite, just something quite close. Even the trimmer says the examples mentioned above are too thick to achieve the correct coverage. They are the experts after all.

If it was exact it would be Marcasite. LOL

It's a little strange coming on all these forums and asking advice but ignoring facts of jobs done by trimmers vs opinions of trimmers who haven't done the job. If you don't want advise don't ask. 

What we have all done is obviously not up to your standards. 

Sorry if you feel offended @winners. We all want to achieve the best for our cars, and exploring all options is the best way. For those of use who want to retain the look of Marcasite it seems a tricky material to match unfortunately. I doubt whether I'll be able to do it 100% either judging from what is available. One day I'm sure it'll be possible, so I'll retain all the stuff that comes off the car to match it if something does. As Tony K mentioned yesterday on the Facey B page, the more folk restore their cars, the further they potentially get from original. You see it a lot with other makes. Restorers just try to do what they can with the best available at the time.

No hard feelings.

• Like 1

Patridge Winners.jpg

• Like 1

There is no doubting the Krypton suede is a difficult material to get to work into the complex curves and there are three areas that present the most challenge. In no particular order, since they are all tough, they are 1. A-post interior trims inside corners. 2. Inside corners of the lower dashboard where they curve toward the centre console. 3. Binnacle edges.  

The door shuts on the end of the dashboard and the door cards need stitching.

Using a very good high-temp contact adhesive and many, many 'snip cuts' its all doable.  I'm an amateur and can afford to spend a LOT of time getting it right though. A professional coach trimmer spending time to do it right will charge good money to do so.  The original marcasite on my car was replaced with a black velour by the previous owner and I wanted to get back to original as close as possible. Krypton was the best I could find.

Alcantara is an easier material to work with but the colour range was rather limited. 

IMG_6076.thumb.jpg.4e6d59ea9734bab416ac38795fbb2eea.jpg

IMG_4294.thumb.jpg.9a7818e784e532cd8391ff98a3071926.jpg

Thanks @jonroberts There are certainly plenty of curves within the interior to be problematic. The stitching on the ends being another difficulty. The trimmer will start with an 'A' pillar to see how he fairs, before progressing with the other parts.

I've noted the complex cuts and infill shapes of the original material under the binnacle to aid wrapping it.

I'm surprised that Alacantara isn't available in more colours, it's also expensive. I'm not too sure what to cover the seats, central armrest, and door inserts with, as the original on mine is a very thin, low quality nylon. I'll be short of cash by then, so I'll be leaving those for another year.

My Lotus steering wheel is brown leather too, but on a black interior, which I find odd.

I'm looking at your hinges, as that's my current tidy up task....

IMG_20161006_203837325~2.jpg

Colorado Orange still my (close) second favourite Esprit S1 colour @jonroberts

FB_IMG_1472429781923.jpg

Edited by Fridge
  • Like 1

Yeah do it orange, the world really doesn't need another white one ;)

North Yorkshire does though. I don't think there are any S1s here. And somehow I can't see me driving mine south so you're safe Paul.

Edited by Fridge

Guys

Any of you got a photo of the underside of the Glovebox lid. Forgot to take a photo and wondered how it was finished off round the catch.  

I'll be honest this is the only part I'm re-trimming this time round. Did do the Centre console and headlining myself in stage one though!

Cheers Mark

• Like 1

Yes, here are 2. I'm not sure what to do with mine. It's construction is more complicated than I thought.

I seemed like it was a simple piece of plywood, but it's a sandwich of thin ply and a metal frame, with lots of interface foam. Both wrapped in Marcasite, in two distinct pieces. Mine has warped at the corners. I've already bought the ply backing, but this seems to be OK. Needs further investigation.

Regards,

David.

Glove Box Lid Underside 01.jpg

Glove Box Lid Underside 02.jpg

Some more photos showing details.

Glove Box Lid Underside 03 (Detail).jpg

Glove Box Lid Underside 04.jpg

Thanks David. Couldnt remember how it was finished round the catch as shown in the bottom photos. I thought it may be more of a quality finish but it's just a simpler trim exposing the catch.

Ive managed to do the covering, this bit genuinely is simple. Two parts independently trimmed then sandwiched together. I needed new hinges but other than that all was good to go. I wanted to be able to say I'd done some of the dash!

Yes, I notice that one of my hinges is broken or in the parts box. I'm not sure if both are available from SJ. I looked at the weekend, but I've forgotten. Needs to be tip top though, as this thing is on view, and seems prone to warping or curling up at the edges like an old sandwich!

The hinges are available from SJs. The side that fixes to the lid is part of the lid frame. That's also available. 

Mine had stuck and then broke due to rust. Just cleaned out the hole after removing the broken pin part of the hinge, as the lid frame is expensive. 

Mark