free hit
counters
Sport Racer look, wrapping time! - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

I've had my car for 2 years now and had various discussions with the missus about trading this and my Esprit in for one car. This didn't go down well and I've reach the maximum I am allowed to go, so both cars are staying. So it got me thinking about changing my Evora look a bit. Ever since I got the car, I was undecided whether to go down the Sports Racer look. I am now 99% sure that's what I am going to do. I got a quote on Thursday to Thursday to have the roof, side sills and front splitter done in the deepest gloss black 3M do. My mirrors are already painted black so a bonus there. I got the quote from Total Tint, Wirral for £320 all in, is this a good price or not as I've never have this done before? It's guaranteed for 4 years unlike some of the other stuff that's only has 12 month warranty.

They also do tinting which I was thinking of doing but they advised me against having my rear window done as this would hide the engine, good call.

I might get the Audi A5 done instead I think as the rear quarters are hardly worth doing...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

I went down the paint route for the side sills and front splitter Dave on my Ardent Red car. Never regretted though I left my roof and mirrors in red. I just prefer it that way right now.

LotusSilverstone quoted me £300 to wrap my car and I think that might have been cost price to them, so I would say £320 sounds reasonable.

Hi Glen,

Was that price pus VAT or including? Did they say what make material they would use and this makes a difference?

Andy,

I've spent nearly two years coming to this decision which I am not 100% with now so I think the wrapping route is the most sensible for my situation.

I agree Dave - wrap it and see how you get on.  I'm quite impulsive so after months of procrastinating I just pulled the trigger and went for it.  I might get round to the roof but still not sure, the decider for me was putting the barge boards on and then the new front splitter from Thomas - with the lower black front and sills it just looks right.

Enjoy either way.

I'm pretty sure that was the VAT inclusive price Dave. No idea what material they use unfortunately as I didn't taker it any further than asking for a price, but I know the company they use have wrapped quite a few Evora's so it might be worth a quick call to ask.

I know nothing but £320.00 to wrap your parts and warranted for 4 years seems a pretty small price to pay for what you will get.

Im sure it will look ace.

Buddsy 

Well I've booked car in for next Monday. I was really trying to get it done this week but they are flat out. So I'll post some pictures when it's done!

They also want to remap my car using BHP head office and remap on a rolling road before and after. They said they can do a deal for £450? I didn't think it was that cheap for what is essentially 15-20BHP increase. What do you guys think?

I would like to hear more, please. Which company are they using and who is doing the work? It's not 100% clear from your post.

I'm afraid that I'm pretty sceptical when it comes to fairly generic remaps like these (if that is what it is). I also suspect that you won't feel any 15-20bhp increase. Have you any idea what it will do to the torque? 

I have never payed for a rolling roll, but looking at what others have payed that does not seem to bad to me, for pre test, re map and after test. 

The company is called BHP UK I think. The company I am using for the wrapping is called Total Tinting Wirral and they are BHP agents. I would have to take my car to Blackburn for half a day to have is done on their rolling road so they can get the best results. Then they would be able to remap the Evora from any BHP agent.

Their head office has all the data for the car, they just need one on the rolling road to work out the right map

Surely the wrap alone is worth another 10 BHP, or 15 BHP if you add the SR gear knob too! :thumbsup:

• Like 1

A pre and post RR reading would be useful if they are genuine. Problem is they can frig the results so i am always very sceptical of so called "tuners" especially with generic maps

I'd be interested in the results as my understanding was until now we had two options - Komotec (well proven maps) and EA in Essex (also seem to be well proven). A 3rd option somewhere up North would be great but again be careful and check on the warranty they will give you (I can teach you to suck eggs too - sorry dave, sure you know all this).

I'd be careful about wrapping at the budget end of the market, with regard to having to cut the material to fit / around curves / etc, as on a few cars I have seen this on, there is damage to the paint underneath.

And I'll hold off commenting on a £100 remap!

Dave

• Like 1

Thanks for all the tips.

I will make sure when being wrapped that I tell them that it will likely be removed sometime in the future and to play close attention to cutting the film and not the paint.

As for remapping, I will look at a later date. I want to see the results on the body first. It's tempting but it's the unknown and reliability issues just for a few more horsepower. Like some have said, it's easy to dyno run a car then flick the switch for the after and you can easily get better results. I too am sceptical.

I have dropped my car off this morning to have the bits wrapped like a Sports Racer. It should be ready by tonight. I will post pictures on here once I get car back. A bit nervous!

• Like 2

Orange peely? Must be a BMW black!

Yes, the guy says it needs some heat so the adhesive/film will smooth out and settle down. He says left out on a sunny day will sort it. Only time will tell!

It should settle - I had some vinyl on my van a few years ago and it looked peely - defo looked a lot smoother after a few warm days - it shrinks and flattens it 

That ice white looks great, hope the wrap settles well to match.

Added the SR look to mine today.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2