free hit
counters
Compomotive CX500 - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Just got off the phone with a guy at Compomotive and conversation inevitably turned to the CX500 wheel, still the prettiest 15" wheel ever made in my opinion.

Had a very interesting chat about it. He said that Lotus basically abandoned the wheel on the grounds of cost and rather dropped Compomotive in it, as they had just invested in scaling up production at the time. As most will already know here the wheel was dropped shortly after the Essex run when Turbos started leaving Hethel with BBS single piece cast wheels in 1981.

He did also confirm that they didn't make any 5 stud Compomotives for Lotus but that they CX500 was not an exclusive Lotus part which is why they continued to make them after the deal with Lotus went south. So, as many have long suspected 5 stud Compomotives are 'after market' but now of course they are, if anything, even rarer and no less beautiful so consider yourself lucky if you have a set on your car! ;)

Whilst going through all the many problems associated with doing another run of CX500s to the original specification, he didn't rule it out completely. I urged him to consider the marketing and PR value of doing so with it being one of the most famous and admired Compomotive wheels ever produced. I think like anything if the demand was there, something could happen. He was also very aware of the rarity of centre caps. Sadly I don't think there are enough of us crazy people out there to make it worth their while and I got the impression that Compomotive don't look back on that time as fondly as we do. Still, I'm glad I had the chance to express how much some of us admire their work. He did say that the next step would be for them to have a good look at an Essex or early Turbo which suggested that they never kept a set even for display purposes but it was mildly encouraging all the same.

• Like 1

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Done. 

Just got centres back from powder coating and diamond cutting. This weekend going to put them together so I can have them on the car for the SuperCar fest weekend. Also just secured a second set of 5

Yeah I agree try them without the center painted first. Just mocked one rear on the car and it sits 1 cm further out from the shock for reference shouldn’t be anti issue? 

Posted Images

Hi Jonny 

I am suprized they answered the phone a lot of people have be complaining that since the went into liquidation and lost one of the production plants the have 

been pretty bad at customer service. They make fantastic wheels but they have been managed extremely poorly over the years.  The fact that they have a good name

in motorsport is their only saving grace as so many competitors for the standard street alloy wheels they would of been dead ducks in the water.

A

I was actually enquiring about wheels for a Lancia but couldn't help but ask about the CX500!

Interesting Jonny.  I think though it is only myself and Hopo confirmed to have the 5 stud although I remember reading a post suggesting one other car but never seen any evidence.  Original or aftermarket not sure it matters although if originally supplied from the factory then that would be nice.  As you say though beautiful wheels!

Capture.JPG

No it really doesn't matter at this point! To be honest if I could have found some 5 stud wheels it would have saved me a lot of bother so they were preferable when I was looking for a set!

I can't quite make them out from your photo but the original sets made for Lotus featured rolled edges. It was a popular motorsport thing at the time, the barrels were hand spun and the rolled edges hand finished, a real lost art! The centres were sand cast and originally powder coated, not painted. Compomotive admit they don't do rolled edges anymore and have none of the original tooling. Apparently the guy who did the edges for Compomotive now works at Image wheels, which are one of the few companies that still offer them.

Phil I am really hoping to see your car at some events over the Summer are you planning any outings?

Spotted these, not for an Esprit but same basic design.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Compomotive-Cx500-WheelsPorsche-5x130-15s-Rare-BIG-PRICE-DROP-/272146286928?hash=item3f5d2ec950:g:XAEAAOSwWTRWz3xz

Jonny 

Rolled at the back but not the front unfortunately.  Yes I will be out and about in the summer.  Should be at Duxford 1st May and may go to Silverstone 31st July.  Not sure about Brands in Aug.  Will not be at Brooklands.

Hope to get some pictures with your car similar to the ones you did with Hopo if thats OK.

If those wheels end up on a Porsche then they will be the best thing about it by far!!!!

• Like 1

Great I'm planning to take the Esprit to Silverstone, the CL parade lap should be fun. See you there if not before and yes, I will always make time for photos with a Copper Bronze Dry Sump!

:thumbup:

It was the 007 soundstage at Pinewood. Last time I asked they were shooting Star Wars so everything was locked down. Might have another look at that this year.

• 2 years later...

I woulat d folks would snap image wheels hands off for that price,  Itake it that does not include the VAT ?    Considering how much a old used set sell for i cant see any reason for folks not to be getting very excited about this.  

The pressing point on this one though would they be made in 5 lug as i would see that would be most prefrable to folks with later G turbo cars wanting the comp look without the hassle of hub change to 4 lug,  but then you have to add the folks that want the early 4 stud look maybe :)

I think Image also have a very long delay in order to finished product, sometimes 3 months plus from what i have seen, 

This has been spoken about in the past, but has never happened yet,  with folks on here such as Fabian spending ages searching for used centres and barrels to produce their own sets !

I hope this gets pulled off,  as i have never understood why it never got done a long time ago given the used prices are so high,  the wheel design is always found to be  highly desirable not only to lotus fans but also beamer boys, and the porker brigade,   retro fans aof all brands to be honest :thumbup:

Will keep an eye on this one :) 

• Like 1

A

Hi silver frost. This is the email I got when looking into this in July. They need a minimum order of 5 sets and they can do 5 or 4 stud. We just need to get the numbers. 

Hi Jason,
             Sorry for the delay.
If you go for the cast type the price would be £1500.00 a set of 4 plus
carriage and V.A.T = £1890.00

I did get your C.N.C one we could do them but the model is only part of the
story the actual machine process is the difficult bit .
With this design it is not easy to mill and would not be exactly the same
because you have no draft angles like you would have on a casting.
Plus a lot of milling time to do.
We could do a similar look from billet add on£500.00 a set plus V.A.T.
This is an option for you if you don’t get the numbers.
Regards Harry.

• Like 1

Hi Jason, 

Yes,   I can well understand that the old casting process would of been so much cheaper,   cnc will always cost more,  but once the first one is programmed in, its just a case of the operator putting in the new billet block and letting the machine do the work,  but once again all machine time that costs money. 

Added vodka pushes the price near to the 2k mark,  but still very cheap compaired to sourcing and purchasing old rims.  Also gives folks the choice if they wanted to go a little wider,  Some 295 60 15 suv tyres can now be sourced these days so 10to 10.5 width rims could be used for that ultra deep dish look ,  good news on the stud variation also, will make a big difference to folks on here i think :) 

Hopefully some folks jump in on this,  ideal as a source of future spares also, as i feel image will be around for a good few years as they have stood the test of time which gives a good bit of confidence.  I put a set of compomotive motorsport rims on one of my cars thinking they would be around for years only to find they went bump, large wide rim with ultra low offset, so if they ever get damaged i am up sxxt creek without a paddle  :(

A

Was the CNC model the one I drew up? It would be nice to see this actually used for something.

They are right though, the model has some tight corners which would require very many tool changes and fine machining so the machine time would be really long for CNC. I did put a draft angle on the model which would mean it would be identical to the cast but even more difficult to machine.

I have lost count of the number of times on here, someone has stated that Image Wheels can do these. In the past there has been some reluctance from them to produce a design which is from another supplier, maybe they have decided they can do it without copyright issues. Which raises the question has anyone asked Compomotive why they have not re-produced their own wheels if there is a demand?

Andy,

Compomotive shut a few years ago,  Then re opened, but they only supply one peice cast wheels now,  and to be honest in a very limited portfolio,   They no longer make the 3 peice rims,  i suppose the cheap euro 3 peice replica one peice  rims killed off their sales,   I think image survived and the fact they can produce so many wheel designs,  you always seem to see Ultima kit cars built in the uk wearing them and such like. :) 

A

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

You need to to be logged into the classifieds to send a message, it's to stop spam on the contact forms I'm afraid. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• 2 months later...

Hi all,

Stumbled upon your conversation here. I have a set of Compomotive CX500 3-Piece Rims and I was wondering if anyone here would be interested in them? Or, if anyone knows where would be a good place to list them? I want them to go to a good home, as I know they are a rare find.

15" diameter tires. 7" wide tires. 76mm hub. 5 x 120mm bolt circle. 104mm backspace. Weigh 14.4lbs each. One of four has some VERY minor curb rash, but could easily sand/buff right off. Otherwise they are in excellent shape. Need re-sealing and could use a clean and polish.

Thanks,

JP

spacer.png

Edited by jpfrydry
  • 2 months later...

Nice. They look great. I’d probably leave them as they are. Once you’re done with them, put them on, take some good pictures, then photoshop a black centre version and see which look you prefer. 

Ad initium

Stunning,  I am with GIS  above ,  see what they look like on the car first,  I have no idea why Lotus milled the centres out on the 5 stud ones ?   Maybe just to keep look of the 4 studs for continuety purposes on the 4 stud to 5 stud hub change over  ?   or once on the car,  just stick some black masking tape on the centre spines and squint from a distance,  if it pleases your eye more then mill them out :)

A