free hit
counters
1977 S1 on eBay - $95,000 US - Esprit Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
JustinB

1977 S1 on eBay - $95,000 US

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Looks a pretty comprehensive restoration.

Not surprised, I've heard of S1's changing hands for that here.

Beautiful example, unique, 10,000 miles, find another? Someone will buy this....beautiful..

My first esprit G car was 17k, and I sold it for 20k in 2008. The second was a 1994 bought for 25k, and sold 3 years later for 23k.

These guys lately are CRAZY in the US!!! That car will never get that price unless an idiot buys it.

The Ferrari 308's where 27k 5 years ago and now NONE are under 60k.

I have no lotus right now because to be honest I was not that impressed with it. It was tight as hell ( I am 5'10"), and it was not that fast. Cringe...my corvette was more fun...sold it though. So why am I back? Not sure. I guess if I can get a blue Essex I am back in.

Couple of things that spring to mind for me.

While it is undeniably beautiful and high quality. When one is looking at a car such as the S1 at this price you expect it to be exceptional AND original. However,this is a US spec car restored as euro spec. If this was a Ferrari daytona this would be frowned upon. A euro spec vehicle is more coveted and more valuable than a us spec car.

Secondly. It has had powder coating. Powder coating is an abomination.

I have restored cars with Powder and they look fabulous. But I have also had cars come in for restoration that were coated a decade ago and they have rusted terribly as a result if having the powder coating

It is also an nightmare to remove.

Paint can be repaired.  Once powder chips or cracks it encourages rust by trapping moisture.

It will sell at a strong price. But not at that price,it is a dealer after all and trying to sell at a profit over cost of restoration.