free hit
counters
Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts - Page 13 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts

• Gold FFM

I'm sure Lotus are interested in every sale, upgrades too. They need every single sale they can get in the US and I only hope that the success of the 400 is quickly followed by the Roadster getting over there, even at the expense of the UK market. I just think it is that important to the company and the potential sales volumes are bigger than the UK would ever be.  I really think the 400 in the US and elsewhere is really going to make the difference.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not my pictures, but as I now have a (tentative) collection date and everything seems solid, I'd like to introduce to you all the conclusion to my search. Some changes have been made to the car s

I come from Jap rally replica background (JDM scoob & evos). I change cars every 18 months, but have owned a '06 Impreza Spec C Type RA for 10 years, which is an absolute keeper for weekend thrash

Car is still on temporary reg, should be changing over next week

Posted Images

I think one thing I often forget is how "exotic" a Lotus could be considered - I live only about two hours away from the factory, so seeing one isn't an unusual event. I live in a nice part of the country where second car ownership is quite high. My neighbours are friendly with a guy who used to own a V8 Vantage and I am sure had a white Evora too, should have spoken to him about it but I haven't seen the car in a couple of years.

When I am on holiday I like to play "spot the jag" - in France/Germany/Spain a Jaguar is a very rare sight. I've just come back from 1500 miles on the roads in France and Spain, probably saw less than 10 jags, quite a few range rovers, no astons or Land Rovers. One Ferrari. A handful of 911s. Curiously not one single M3 or M4!

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM

A little bit of marketing from Lotus might work wonders, but then, boy, we've been down this conversation so many times before. 

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

55 minutes ago, brightoncorgi said:

If Lotus could only ensure there was an Evora at every big cars and coffee event in key markets, it would do a lot of them.  It's one thing to read about them online and see a video; another to see, feel, and hear them the flesh.

I agree, it's painful to visit major events without seeing Lotus being represented. Not even at sports cars events. You need to be truly committed to go hunting for for the unicorn. For sure Sweden is a very small market but there are still several hundred German sports cars sold new every year. So clearly there is money as well as interest in sports cars. But with only one official dealer in the whole country it's a tough call to sell cars. Supposedly they now have a 400 in their showroom but nothing on their web site. 

• Gold FFM

Conventional. Traditional. Online. Offline. Whatever. ANYTHING would be better than nothing.

Get one in the next Avengers film with Tony Stark driving it.  Get one in Fast and Furious 36 or whatever number they are on now. And woo-hoo just watch the profile go.

When I took the 400 up to London for an afternoon I had an accountable social reach of over 50,000 and I'd imagine several tens of thousands in real life. Cost £40. Marketing doesn't have to be expensive.

• Like 2

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

What happened to the marketing firm Lotus hired that made the video with drone?  I haven't seen anything else, have you?

Nor have I seen any come out of the NY Auto Show on the 400.  Right there is a great story line.  That car was driven around the country, flogged by many and it still looks and drives like new.  That really plays to the underdog / outsider persona that is popular right now in America.  This is the moment to bash Porsche between their corporate greed and inflated status. 

TVR got a Tuscan in Swordfish, pretty sure that car wasn't at all legal in the USA!

Bibs is right, marketing doesn't have to be expensive. It's probably the little things which will make the difference, and Lotus should be thankful for the very loyal band of followers that it has. Even the pub landlord that @Gashead1105, @Gm77 and I met was a fan, and insisted we have a mini Lotus meet there. Those little things will make a difference.

I know my father has purchased at least two or three cars because he's just seen one and decided yep, gonna have one of those. Whenever I drive past an Aston dealership they're always really nice and very nice cars out front, but it tends to be a sea of relentless grey, silver and black. Lotus seems more fun. They're going in the right direction, it's baby steps. Perhaps they have something big planned for the USA, but are holding off until deliveries are being made. Who knows.

1 minute ago, brightoncorgi said:

What happened to the marketing firm Lotus hired that made the video with drone?  I haven't seen anything else, have you?

If Lotus were kind enough to loan me one for a couple of days I would make a ruddy film for them!

James Martin (JayEmm)

I bought these snazzy cuff links from TLF. I'm now doing more marketing for Lotus when I walk around than they are doing. It isnt rocket science for them to advertise.  Id love to see lotus cup out east  here too

IMG_20160404_212522.jpg

• Like 1

This being said, most of us generally complain about the shop in Piccadilly being a massive waste of cash, but that's probably the biggest "advertising" Lotus do at the moment.

I can't think I've ever even seen a full page ad in Evo, or anything. It doesn't cost that much to advertise in a magazine

James Martin (JayEmm)

And I also got this cool hat from TLF. The Lotus Forums has great stuff! Since Lotus won't advertise at all over here in the US, I might as well do it for them. 

IMG_20160405_033234.jpg

• Like 1

That's the spirit @BWex !

I suppose the Evora in particular sits in a sort of odd no-mans land, price-wise. It's not an entry-level sports car price like the Elise is (or was), but neither is it some £300K hyper-exotic type thing that oil sheikhs are going to be filling their garages with

James Martin (JayEmm)

I wonder though if Ferrari rules apply? I am fairly sure I have never seen anyone wearing branded Ferrari stuff who actually owns a Ferrari... unless they race one at the weekend.

James Martin (JayEmm)

I've almost never seen anyone wearing lotus swag. The couple times I did, they were Lotus owners. Advertising also gives some comfort as to reliability -- it's the idea that there is in fact some company out there supporting the brand.   

• Gold FFM
6 hours ago, BWex said:

I bought these snazzy cuff links from TLF. I'm now doing more marketing for Lotus when I walk around than they are doing. It isnt rocket science for them to advertise.  Id love to see lotus cup out east  here too

IMG_20160404_212522.jpg

I have a set of those too Bruce and love them - they're really special and very well made too. Thanks to TLF (@Bibs) I also have a matching and rather fetching Lotus Carbon Fibre pen that never fails to raise a comment when i bring it out in meetings :)

• Like 1

Lotus USA should do a tour of the car, when they can. Like a road trip from coast to coast, with the stops advertised along the way. Get one of the major online guys involved, should be a good PR thing. Especially as, like it or not, most people still associate Lotus with unreliability, a cross-country road trip would be a great way to show people what they're like. Or give one to someone like Doug DeMuro, he's got followers. Gotta be cheaper than advertising on TV - and probably more effective.

That being said, I did love the radio commercials in California.

"Come down to crazy bob's house of cars, we'll get you credit on anything!?"

"Can't get credit? Don't worry! We lend to anyone, even with a bad credit rating!"

"Did you take out credit when you couldn't afford it? Don't worry, our lawyers will help you get back on track!"

James Martin (JayEmm)

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

I have a set of those too Bruce and love them - they're really special and very well made too. Thanks to TLF (@Bibs) I also have a matching and rather fetching Lotus Carbon Fibre pen that never fails to raise a comment when i bring it out in meetings :)

Cool.  I will see if it's still being sold on TLF.  Thanks.

• Gold FFM

I try to pop in to the regent street store when I'm down in London. Bought a few bits and bobs in there too. They need to put a stripped out Exige V6 (no engine, gear box etc) hanging from the front window - the main Regent Street entrance is hard to miss - the back entrance is better as you cn see the Elise and Exige through the glass doors.

It might help to have a couple of old grumpy buggers in there, preferably Lotus fans, rather than the young shop assistants they have. The ones they have have no interest in, nor experience of, nor desire to, own a Lotus and zero knowledge of the brand, history and cars.  If it's still there in 10 years when I retire then if they pay expenses to commute into London and give me free coffee all day then I'd assist the shop for free 6 days a week!.....  Apart from driving my Lotus, i couldn't think of a better way to spend my retirement than learning about, and talking about, lotus cars and their, and the company's, heritage.

1 hour ago, C8RKH said:

Just bought a few TLF carbon fiber Lotus pens.  Thanks again.

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

Couple of years ago I had a jacket which was made in the states of all places. Bright Red and covered in Lotus logo's. I always wore it when over seas for work and it always got a mention. The jacket's been to Kazakhstan, Azerbaijan, Moscow, Georgia, Denmark, Sweden, Norway, Germany and Holland oh and Turkey.

Now have the Green shell jacket and it gets the same, although not as much as it's not so loud.

Now that's what I call international promotion.

I have a Ferrari rain jacket that I got as a gift.  Whenever I wear it when driving the Lotus, people say how they like my Ferrari car.  I have to explain how it's a Lotus and not a Ferrari.  Which then leads them to asking me what a Lotus is and who makes it.  Maybe I should get a Lotus jacket....

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I try to pop in to the regent street store when I'm down in London. Bought a few bits and bobs in there too. They need to put a stripped out Exige V6 (no engine, gear box etc) hanging from the front window - the main Regent Street entrance is hard to miss - the back entrance is better as you cn see the Elise and Exige through the glass doors.

It might help to have a couple of old grumpy buggers in there, preferably Lotus fans, rather than the young shop assistants they have. The ones they have have no interest in, nor experience of, nor desire to, own a Lotus and zero knowledge of the brand, history and cars.  If it's still there in 10 years when I retire then if they pay expenses to commute into London and give me free coffee all day then I'd assist the shop for free 6 days a week!.....  Apart from driving my Lotus, i couldn't think of a better way to spend my retirement than learning about, and talking about, lotus cars and their, and the company's, heritage.

You're absolutely right Andy, they've got the cars in the wrong side!

Also when I was there they didn't seem very keen on people being that touchy-feely with the cars, I can't recall if there were signs but it didn't seem like a very welcoming atmosphere. Personally I'd make sure someone - quite possibly a Lotus geek - was there to get kids sitting in it, photographs taken, etc etc...

It may not be very important to Lotus now, but it's all part of building brand image. Very few people with a Lamborghini on their bedroom wall can afford one now, but in 25 years that might be the car they aspire to! So if someone on holiday from the states remembers "Hey that cool Lotus car I sat in", then that's a potential customer down the line.

Personally I'd put a 400 in there, maybe an elise Chassis or an Exige skeleton as Andy suggests, and probably an old F1 car. They've got to have enough kicking about. Christ, TAG are still using Steve McQueen to sell their watches, I don't see any shame in Lotus having a few more pictures of Senna about, maybe one of his cars (or one like it)

James Martin (JayEmm)