free hit
counters
Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts - Page 18 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts

Sound system in US is pretty important.  Won't be a deciding factor in a car.  But, it's a nice feature to tout.  And, for example, the sound system upgrade option is a nice thing on cars where it's offered.  For example, BMW has the Harmon Kardon option with more and better speakers.  The audio system in my 2011 Elise SC is more than sufficient.  I have an IPod adaptor so I can play my own music.  Enough said on that.  When I test drove the Evora 400, I did not turn on the audio - in fact I shut it off to hear the car and engine.  I figured the audio would be sufficient.  And I am an audiophile in my home.

It isn't crazy to care about audio in a car -- a car actually has an incredibly good structural setup for audio quality.  Much better than a room in a house.  But if you are playing an MP3 compressed data file, it really doesnt matter anyway.  You aren't going to be hearing the foot pedals on a piano playing a piece from Chopin.   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not my pictures, but as I now have a (tentative) collection date and everything seems solid, I'd like to introduce to you all the conclusion to my search. Some changes have been made to the car s

I come from Jap rally replica background (JDM scoob & evos). I change cars every 18 months, but have owned a '06 Impreza Spec C Type RA for 10 years, which is an absolute keeper for weekend thrash

Car is still on temporary reg, should be changing over next week

Posted Images

1 hour ago, LotusLeftLotusRight said:

People get too anal about car stereos IMO. The Alpine unit plays music and radio and even tells you how to get somewhere. What's not to like? Sitting in a noisy car is never going to give you laboratory perfect sound, is it? 

In most cars the noise floor is too high for audio upgrades to really be worth it. My old Evora S definitely falls in this category.

However from my brief test drive, I feel the Evora 400 is refined enough to justify a speaker upgrade. Not the full processor/amp deal, just better components.

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

12 hours ago, Ccd said:

Back on topic, there is a new video review on YouTube by Sons of Speed.  Spoiler alert, they like the car a lot.  Biggest nits were that the power really kicks in at 5000 rpm, not lower and the Alpine infotainment system (which everyone seems to date)

Their observation about the torque curve is the observation I made at the start of this thread (which is almost too far to remember at this point).  Interesting. 

10 hours ago, JayEmm said:

a "premium hi-fi" option. It seems a very popular choice for the Jags, Astons, BMWs and Porsches of the world. 

Probably down to a large % of individuals who buy these cars not knowing any different. It will be a case of WANT because others HAVE rather than NEED

100% agree with this.

I get that a decent system can make a difference (and make the car a more pleasant place to be on a prolonged journey), but people will pay over the odds for a premium system that will never be able to deliver the fidelity that the cost would suggest.  It's a con.  Yes, it will sound better the more £/$ you throw at it - but to suggest you're going to get anything approaching a "hi-fi" sound in a sports car is just nuts - and kind of missing the point, surely?

• Like 1

The hifi sound is important for times when you're in traffic, not driving but in the car waiting for ferries or having a sing-a-long with the family on a long trip. Although to be fair the family singer rather over-shadows the hifi sound and not always in a good way for any bystanders...

I changed the Alpine for a Parrot Asteroid system as others have done and have been happy with this. It saved weight an was easier to set-up to get good sound with the standard speakers. Perhaps not optimum sound but seemed improved and plenty good enough for my current needs.

Personally I think if Lotus want to be moving "up-market" it's just one of these little things that could improve their margins. If I'm right, the tech pack on the Evora S boasted an upgraded speaker/subwoofer? So the concept isn't alien.

Of course, the bit that needs to sound immaculate is the engine, and they got that bit right. Lord did they get that right.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

@JayEmm for the love of God, just buy a fucking car!

how many posts need to be made test drive thread before you actually commit?! :lol:

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

3 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

@JayEmm for the love of God, just buy a fucking car!

how many posts need to be made test drive thread before you actually commit?! :lol:

How long is a piece of string, or how long does it take for a major corporation to set up a five figure deal with a new supplier, inspect goods and action a transfer?

(Clue, the second one is more important to me)

James Martin (JayEmm)

It does aswell, crap.

The good news is the deal which fell through last week I've been working at constantly since. I have a meeting Wednesday, which all being well would leave me with a deposit and a purchase order, then I just need to make a phone call, buy a car, and open up a nice refreshing cold one and relax.

• Like 2

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

They are utterly inept and unimagingely sloooooow. Currently sat waiting for one of their managers to pull his finger out - I'm not holding my breath

Only here once

I had about five phone  calls from them last month, asking to talk to me about my relationship with my "business account manager". When they finally caught me at an opportune moment, they said "We'd like to know about the interaction you've had with the account manager in the last three months" and I said "none, they haven't phoned", and they just said "Oh, sorry, we can't do the survey then!"

Fortunately, I only bank with them and my deal isn't with them. I'd like to say they're useless but I have an account with Lloyds, several of my family are with Barclays and they're no better.

Barclays actually royally fooked up once, when my parents were getting divorced some feckwit at Barclays sent my dad details of my Grandmother's account but put my mothers name on it! He thought she had been hiding money from him or embezzling his company, that was a huge row. Someone actually lost a job over it (at Barclays).

James Martin (JayEmm)

8 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

I get that a decent system can make a difference (and make the car a more pleasant place to be on a prolonged journey), but people will pay over the odds for a premium system that will never be able to deliver the fidelity that the cost would suggest.  It's a con.  Yes, it will sound better the more £/$ you throw at it - but to suggest you're going to get anything approaching a "hi-fi" sound in a sports car is just nuts - and kind of missing the point, surely?

Just because you want a Sports Car doesn't mean you shouldn't want to have a decent sound system. In fact having a Sports Car usually means you need a premium system in order to get the bass and music detail to come through the acoustics of the engine, wheels and chassis.

Doesn't have to be expensive though, I upgraded the speakers in 'Ethel', a full set of Components, an 8" Sub and 400W Amplifier. It totally transformed the sound system, but didn't add very much weight, the Components were lighter then the standard ones, the Sub was slightly heavier than stock. Amp was the only piece which was noticeably heavier, but only by maybe a kilo or so.

The hardware cost around £700 in total, and then there was just my time to fit the speakers.

Depends on how much work you can do yourself I suppose.

Tris...

48 minutes ago, Tris... said:

Just because you want a Sports Car doesn't mean you shouldn't want to have a decent sound system. In fact having a Sports Car usually means you need a premium system in order to get the bass and music detail to come through the acoustics of the engine, wheels and chassis.

I'd rather have an electronic ebrake than a better stereo.  That, keyless entry and adaptive headlights are the only things I would add to the car "to compete" it.

Electronic handbrake, devil's work!

Although, I would have liked the Evora to have the fly-off handbrake as found in the Esprit. I'm sure there's a reason they don't.

I personally hate keyless entry, I also hate starter buttons. But they're minor annoyances in the grand scheme of things.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Totally agree with you Andy. My dad has a Merc CLA and I cannot get on with the electronic brake. Thing is, the car is fairly smart - putting the handbrake on and off when you expect it. But I like to put my handbrake on and take it off, so I'm forever parking, then turning the handbrake off moments after the car's just put it on for me. Doesn't help the gear selector is not mechanical, so there isn't a "park" position.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM
10 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Arrrgghhhhhhhh..... electronic this, electronic that, is it really all necessary - next we'll be wanting a self drive Lotus too. Oh please, let the earth open and swallow me up...

What a super idea that is - preferably with an Elon musk ludicrous mode option :sofa:

We should all remember is was @C8RKH who thought of this

Only here once

12 hours ago, brightoncorgi said:

I'd rather have an electronic ebrake than a better stereo.  That, keyless entry and adaptive headlights are the only things I would add to the car "to compete" it.

Hey each to their own, but why those things?

For me one of the reasons I went for a Lotus was because it didn't have all of these electronic fripperies.

Its a simpler and more emersive driving experience because you have to interact with the car more. I still don't see why they've added a start button to the 400, you still have to insert the key and turn it for the button to work.

Just now rather than just turning the key and starting the engine, you have to turn the key, move your hand and press a button. Seems slightly pointless, but I suppose you have to interact with the car more. :-)

Tris...

• Like 1

26 years ago I had complete brake failure at 70 mph approaching a roundabout on a dual carriageway. It turned out the brake fluid had all leaked out and the foot pedal just dropped to the floor as I pressed it. Engine braking and a handbrake gave me enough retardation that I was lucky enough to miss other vehicles and avoid a crash. A more modern vehicle (this was in an old Vauxhall Cavaliar) would warn me of brake fluid loss, but one thing I've never liked is an ebrake. It seems to be a solution to a problem that never existed. I would like it though if the Evora handbrake went off to a near horizontal position - just my ocd I expect?

1 hour ago, Tris... said:

Its a simpler and more emersive driving experience because you have to interact with the car more. I still don't see why they've added a start button to the 400, you still have to insert the key and turn it for the button to work.

I expect like many manufacturers they've fallen prey to "fashion". If you've got a keyless entry system, a start button is perfectly acceptable. But you're right, where's the logic in having a button AND a key, where a key alone used to work better?

I also enjoy pointing out the Jaguar E-Type to anyone who tries describing start buttons as a new idea.

One area I really do want to give Lotus praise, is that they're generally pretty good with not clinging to the past. I see too many manufacturers out there who are desperate to just evoke past glories (Jag, Aston and now Porsche seem "retro" obsessed). The shame is many of these older design features were the result of solid engineering principles, or the rules of construction of the time. We need to move onwards with design. Sure, it's fine to have a "design language" as a company, but I think making psuedo-retro stuff is a bit of a joke. So high praise to Lotus for making the Evora a pretty unique model in their line-up, in both its iterations. The only real nod with the first gen I saw was the front air intake, which has now changed considerably. Somehow Lotus have managed to make three fairly distinctive models (discounting the 3-11) from one or two platforms, something that has largely escaped Aston until recently.

James Martin (JayEmm)

4 hours ago, Tris... said:

Hey each to their own, but why those things?

For me one of the reasons I went for a Lotus was because it didn't have all of these electronic fripperies.

Keyless entry adds to the driving experience.  Just get in and press the start button.  Why use a key to turn an ignition? 

I don't like the headlights on the Evora.  The lack of adaptive headlights is noticeable around corners (especially with the handling just so) makes this option even more useful than it is on most other cars.  Adaptive headlights reinforce the exprience of unlocking and starting the car.

Electronic e-brake, 991 has it and my XK had it.  I don't use the e-brake in the motion.  Only for parking situations.  The electronic e-brake just works better and there's no situation where you drive off with it engaged by accident.  Would free up some space for something else or just clean up the look inside.

I would've preferred a modern digital display instead of analog gauges and NAV screen displaying telemetry, but that is a different thread...