free hit
counters
Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts - Page 20 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts

It is really odd having a key and start button. Takes away the point of the start button. When speaking to the dealer about my car and poking around the 400 he said they fed such feedback to lotus on earlier models but clearly that was ignored. 

It is really odd having a key and start button. Takes away the point of the start button. When speaking to the dealer about my car and poking around the 400 he said they fed such feedback to lotus on earlier models but clearly that was ignored. 

Not a clue why the text has been duplicated in my previous post ?

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not my pictures, but as I now have a (tentative) collection date and everything seems solid, I'd like to introduce to you all the conclusion to my search. Some changes have been made to the car s

I come from Jap rally replica background (JDM scoob & evos). I change cars every 18 months, but have owned a '06 Impreza Spec C Type RA for 10 years, which is an absolute keeper for weekend thrash

Car is still on temporary reg, should be changing over next week

Posted Images

I think it speaks volumes about the quality of the product Lotus have put out if in 20 pages the most I can think of as criticisms are "the seats a bit high" or the start button is a bit pointless. It really is a cracking piece of kit.

I really hope it has a successful launch in the USA, as that could really transform the company's fortunes

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

5 hours ago, brightoncorgi said:

Keyless entry adds to the driving experience.  Just get in and press the start button.  Why use a key to turn an ignition? 

I don't like the headlights on the Evora.  The lack of adaptive headlights is noticeable around corners (especially with the handling just so) makes this option even more useful than it is on most other cars.  Adaptive headlights reinforce the exprience of unlocking and starting the car.

Electronic e-brake, 991 has it and my XK had it.  I don't use the e-brake in the motion.  Only for parking situations.  The electronic e-brake just works better and there's no situation where you drive off with it engaged by accident.  Would free up some space for something else or just clean up the look inside.

I would've preferred a modern digital display instead of analog gauges and NAV screen displaying telemetry, but that is a different thread... 

Challenges of market. This thread debate shows how purists dont really care about adaptive headlight (and the motor weight it adds) or pushing a button and inserting a key or pulling a handle for a brake, whereas many US drivers do. Sadly, that is what killed the M series in my view. More and more gadgets and weight. Softer and quieter ride.  Lotus really does have its challenges to compete.  Hope they stick around.  

I agree BWex, I like my M car as it has no turbo, one steering "map", passive suspension, by modern standards it is incredibly basic. But it does what I need. My main bugbear is the Bluetooth doesn't work with modern phones.

I keep thinking the Evora is basic, but it's got a sat nav, heated seats, an MP3 CD player, adjustable exhaust, leather interior, Xenons - that's a serious spec on some cars

James Martin (JayEmm)

Agreed. Lotus should try to position itself in the gap left by the M, who moved onto a larger volume segment. Namely, Evora 400 offers supercar weight specs, engine sound, and handling feel at a lower price than a supercar, but enough niceties that it can be a daily driver. And an aesthetic design that isnt boring and commonplace like porsche, bmw, and audi.  

Keyless entry adds nothing to the driving experience, absolutely zero. How is driving a car enhanced by not turning a key or pressing a button? Sorry, but that's just ridiculous. If it's only stuff like that which matters to some buyers in the US, then go and buy something else FFS, I'm not sure I can handle a future of the forum being full of whining about how someone got a repetitive strain injury through having to press a button. 

• Like 2

That M4 I test drove, had you told me it was a six series I would have believed you. It was big and luxurious, but on the roads a Lotus thrives on it would have been very uncomfortable. So far apart from where it started.

Even the modern 911 buyer would certainly be shocked at how Spartan a 996 feels, let alone one of the air cooled cars. My 993 was smaller in every dimension than a Citroen C4

James Martin (JayEmm)

Just now, Barrykearley said:

I'm starting to think we should ban JayEmm....

Harsh, but fair I think :lol:

• Like 1

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Just now, Barrykearley said:

^^ you @CocoPops could get a job with mr corbyns spin doctors for a slight misquote like that :rofl:

Corbin would argue that he's only saying what others think :lol:

• Like 2

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I really don't get the issue some have with people expressing views even if others think them trivial. Some like keyless entry and start etc. So what? That's their choice isn't it! 

It's a great car but even the best cars will have people wanting more in one area or another. Forums are here so people can express views and opinions, let's not make people feel uncomfortable for doing so. 

• Like 1
19 minutes ago, Colin G said:

So it's ok for someone to express their view, but not ok for someone to express the opposite view? Kind of makes your point a bit silly there Stu. :lol:

Not at all fella but stuff like this: 

'If it's only stuff like that which matters to some buyers in the US, then go and buy something else FFS'. 

Is what I am used to seeing on PH. Seems a bit ott to me. Maybe I need to hang my bra up before posting ?

24 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Not at all fella but stuff like this: 

'If it's only stuff like that which matters to some buyers in the US, then go and buy something else FFS'. 

Is what I am used to seeing on PH. Seems a bit ott to me. Maybe I need to hang my bra up before posting ?

I'm expressing my opinion, like you said it was fine to do. ;)

Going on about such a complete non issue is, to me, daft. That is, however, only my opinion. If you want the 400 to be more like other cars with what I think is needless tat, just go and buy the other car? No? They must evidently be more in line with the requirements. I'm not being nasty, if tiny details like this bother someone that much, it's maybe not the car for them and time to move on.

:)

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JayEmm said:

apocalypse_by_insolense.jpg

I understand those two cars at the bottom have keyless entry, an ebrake, a JBL sound system, and pretty low seats.  Not sure about the digital gauges that also can display a map.  Anyone know if they are up for sale?  We can add to the Evora 400 competition list.  :lol::stuart:;) 

I had a S2000 and I use to hanker after a starter button when i was younger, but when I had the S2000, I felt the starter button was redundant.....one or the other in my opinion....

personally I prefer just the key...

Stuno, I get where you're coming from, I too felt ColinG was a bit OTT, he's obviously not had his daily ready brek or something.....as he was going off on one!! lol

It's interesting the personalities of people on various car forums...

Porsche clan - we are rich!!

Lotus - adhere to the Lotus way!!

Edited by Jim Lin
16 hours ago, JayEmm said:

I keep thinking the Evora is basic, but it's got a sat nav, heated seats, an MP3 CD player, adjustable exhaust, leather interior, Xenons - that's a serious spec on some cars

I'll take keyless entry over heated seats.  Heated seats should not be in a sports car...

Heated seats I am indifferent to in a sports car, I would love the option of the seats from the 410 but alas it doesn't seem to be offered as an option in the regular car. 

James Martin (JayEmm)