free hit
counters
Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts - Page 21 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts

16 hours ago, JayEmm said:

What's that? Jeremy Corbyn wants me off the forum?

Jeremy wants you to publish your tax return so that the rest of us can properly determine whether you should or shouldn't buy an Evora.

• Like 2

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not my pictures, but as I now have a (tentative) collection date and everything seems solid, I'd like to introduce to you all the conclusion to my search. Some changes have been made to the car s

I come from Jap rally replica background (JDM scoob & evos). I change cars every 18 months, but have owned a '06 Impreza Spec C Type RA for 10 years, which is an absolute keeper for weekend thrash

Car is still on temporary reg, should be changing over next week

Posted Images

1 hour ago, brightoncorgi said:

Heated seats should not be in a sports car...

They should be when the car is driven when outside temperatures are in single digits. Like most of the UK winter. 

What next, 'sports cars' shouldn't use winter tyres?

16 minutes ago, Neal H said:

Jeremy wants you to publish your tax return so that the rest of us can properly determine whether you should or shouldn't buy an Evora.

You know how difficult it is trying to find a Lotus dealer who'll take payment in Nazi gold?

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

2 minutes ago, Bravo73 said:

They should be when the car is driven when outside temperatures are in single digits. Like most of the UK winter. 

What next, 'sports cars' shouldn't use winter tyres?

My comment was more in gest than anything.  Everyone has their list of options that are appropriate for them.  For me it's adaptive headlights and keyless entry.  For you perhaps it's heated seats?  I drive my car below freezing and do not lament not having heated seats.

Some implying that I (or anyone else) should buy another car because I want either one is frustrating in this thread.  I want to see Lotus sell as many cars as the next member on this forum.  I am getting along fine with a key, but to a potentially new customer to the marque, no keyless entry is a subliminal check against the car when compiling value in the back of the mind. 

Adaptive headlights are performance & safety related and should’ve been standard from the beginning.

• Like 1

I believe @brightoncorgi in the USA the Evora is going to be, what, around $90,000? I know that's fairly expensive for "what's on offer" compared to some domestic offerings, but there are a few countries in Europe where it's the opposite. I believe in a few places the car is at least twice as expensive due to local taxes etc...

In fact, the Evora 400 does a remarkable job of being fairly bespoke, even on the inside. I'm sure they have nicked some parts from some parts bins, but it doesn't feel any less bespoke to me than, say, a Gallardo. Would probably thrash said Lambo around a track too.

James Martin (JayEmm)

I haven't asked the dealer what the real price is yet, but I think it is around that price.  If so, that is actually a very competitive compared to the competition.  Even more so in the 400 than the S.  Porsche will cost more for same spec car, Vantage GT is another 20K, F-Type is similar money.

Yeah, I've noticed too even with things like the Mustang or Vette, the base price is crazy basic - you need to option them up to get sat nav, leather etc... and I guess in the states Vettes are fairly common (I certainly saw a load), the Evora will be rarer than a Ferrari or a Lamborghini which is worth something to some people (me included)

James Martin (JayEmm)

Lotus of any model or all the modern ones combined are going to rarer than any "bread and butter" Lambo or Ferrari model by themselves.   There's only two Lotus dealers in New England and the one I use has sold under 20 Evoras in total (not sure the exact number).  They are currently sold out on new Lotus for a few months now.

I suppose that's better than having a forecourt full of them and no-one wants them!

For reference, there is ONE Corvette dealer in the UK, they said if they sell one a month, they're happy. I bet they don't even sell that many. It's nuts.

James Martin (JayEmm)

I don't think the local dealer ever had an opportunity to have a showroom full of Lotus.  They are more into selling Aston's than Lotus, although they are one of the oldest Lotus dealers in the US.  They take servicing of Lotus seriously and that is where most their Lotus income comes from.

Personally, I do not want to own a German car and American cars have never excited me, so that only leaves a few options.  I can't afford anything new from Italy, nor is there anything available in a manual outside of an Abarth in US.  British cars are basically it and I have been a patron for a while.

We certainly appreciate you flying the flag. It's sad but I think the Brits are often too keen to bash their own products, not sure quite why - but you go places like Pistonheads (not exactly a balanced selection of society) and Lotii get much the same treatment that Porsches do here. A shame really, we're just all meant to be car fans.

James Martin (JayEmm)

For fun I just had a look at the Porsche configurator for the new 718 Boxster. It's actually possible to spec it to more than the base 400 price (£72k) and that's without including the Ceramic Brakes, nearly £5K more.

Historically the Cayman has been more expensive than the Boxster too although I hear that may not be the case anymore. In any case, this is good news for Lotus owners because even with lots of bells and whistles the 718 is still two cylinders and a chunk of power short of an Evora 400.

Come on JMG, where's that roadster :)

James Martin (JayEmm)

Yes the "real" price of a 911 is now pretty much 90-100k minimum. It's frightening, especially as many options are not "optional" if you want your car to be worth anything come resale time.

I had such a pleasant surprise when I saw the Evora options list!

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

After enjoying all 21 pages of this thread (some could actually be considered informative, like the comparisons after test driving different cars), I feel the need to add my 2 cents. Even though the discussion has moved on already...

I had a highly modified Range Rover once (only half of the chassis was still original Range Rover, with lots of different makes and custom parts added) with a start button. It was home built, but not by me. It also had a flimsy key, and a big impressive looking starter button. It did add a sense of occasion to firing up the LS-engine, but just like that engine I found it special but not particularly pleasing. So I quickly decided against such a button in the Esprit when someone suggested it. It adds needless weight and firing up a Lotus is special enough without adding to the complexity of needing to take two different actions. Only with keyless entry it would have it's use, but I dislike that as well. Much as said before, I don't want the alarm to decide whether to lock or unlock based on my presence, I'll make my own decisions thank you! 

As for the electric parking brake, that's just a recipe for disaster. They can and will fail and are a PITA when you have battery problems, much like an automatic stuck in 'P'. They don't allow you to modulate the braking effort, for example on hill starts. Worst of all, often they are automatically engaged when the car is exited, then freeze solid on winter nights and burn out the electric motor trying to disengage. I just don't see what use they could have! If it's about effort required, that can be solved by proper design of the leverage.

• Like 1

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

What with all the driving aid gadgets in modern cars, about the only direct input left for today's driver is to pick his nose. In fact I wouldn't be surprised if Mercedes-Benz isn't already working on a device to do that with their next generation S Class.

It would have to have a great post sounding name like the "Mercedes Benz Carbon Fibre Nasal De-constrictor"

James Martin (JayEmm)

I like the way Lotus keeps the options list simple, but they could make a load more cash if they had more options for those who want to specify the car with a kitchen sink. The options list for some cars now is huge and in reality quite daft, but people get silly about cars and the manufacturers milk this. I love Lotus for not milking this, but suspect it may be about short-term cost savings as much as any ethics.

• Like 2

I'm not sure, in reality they can probably offer nearly as much customisation as Porsche do. A lot of the Porsche options list is just painting bits of the car which are black as standard. Other than that, it's mostly more leather. The only big ticket items on most spec lists are usually ceramic brakes and an upgraded sound system, or "sports" suspension. Lotus clearly don't need the "sports" suspension, they've demonstrated ceramic brakes are unnecessary. The only item I'd like to see is an upgraded hi-fi, that's about it really.

I think Lotus are getting there with their "exclusive" range, they need to have a few more examples to show off what can be done. That'll come soon I am sure

James Martin (JayEmm)

There are lots of places that will help you spend money upgrading the hi-fi if that's a priority for you. I think it's a shame if Lotus and their dealers aren't pocketing some profit from this, but otherwise it isn't a big issue in my mind.

I agree entirely. The benefit of them having an aftermarket stereo "as standard" is that you can easily upgrade it without wrecking the integration or the cabin look too.

I can fix the hi-fi, it's much cheaper than fixing a car with a great hi-fi but duff handling

James Martin (JayEmm)

I test drove a 400 10 days ago.

I've done almost 60,000 miles in my NA Evora now, so I have a good base to compare from.

The 400 is quieter inside. Quite an achievement given its lighter and supposedly more cost conscious build materials. All the previous posters comments are pretty much same as I found it - feels cheaper and less special inside, gear change is good, sound is ok/fun, front and rear changes are not as attractive as the original design but certainly more 'aggressive looking', start button is pointless, the power and responsiveness is much better, the seats are not as comfortable. Miss Double D liked the growl on start up.

The one BIG thing that stood out - my knees hit the lower part of the dash. This is a real irritation. The dash is a little lower and the seat is a little higher. As a result I have to put the seat back further than I normally do which means my legs are a little straighter, a less comfortable driving position than I have in my S1 Evora. Moving to my normal position I am rubbing the dash which is a) irritating b) would definitely cause knee and leg damage should I be in an accident. I am 6'3"/191cm. 

This was a big surprise and is my overwhelming memory of the test drive.