free hit
counters
Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts - Page 26 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts

21 hours ago, C8RKH said:

Ok ok. I give in. Lotus driving accountants are the exception to the rule and you're all super guys.

Aw thanks Andy.  :thumbup:

Now, what are your views on Lotus driving lawyers?!?  I know a few of those as well and whilst we are on a roll on changing your perceptions ...

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not my pictures, but as I now have a (tentative) collection date and everything seems solid, I'd like to introduce to you all the conclusion to my search. Some changes have been made to the car s

I come from Jap rally replica background (JDM scoob & evos). I change cars every 18 months, but have owned a '06 Impreza Spec C Type RA for 10 years, which is an absolute keeper for weekend thrash

Car is still on temporary reg, should be changing over next week

Posted Images

Baby steps Greg, baby steps!

I am currently in the annoying situation of the dealer telling me one thing and the DVLA telling me another. Joy to the world!

It would appear Lotus are apparently in the dark ages when it comes to the DVLA so everything is post-based, and the dealer only informed me of this today. Meaning my hopeful appearance at Greg's bash next weekend depends upon DVLA pencil pushers. Grr. First world problems and all that.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM
34 minutes ago, Gm77 said:

Aw thanks Andy.  :thumbup:

Now, what are your views on Lotus driving lawyers?!?  I know a few of those as well and whilst we are on a roll on changing your perceptions ...

I have absolutely no problem with lawyers that cannot be solved by a field, a sheep dog to round them all up, and a rather large bomb dropped from a fast jet. I know, I'll get battered by the animal rights brigade for that. Well, I don't care if lawyers have rights too....

Lol. Obviously just joking and I do not, unlike some governments and Presidents and many poloticians around the world, condone the dropping of bombs on civillians in fields, towns, villages or anywhere. Even if those civilians are lawyers!

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I was going to say Andy, you strike me as the sort of person who'd prefer a bolt gun. "The human touch" and all that

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Lol. ;)

Anyway, back on topic. Who is the latest to have had a 400 test drive and what did you think?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

20 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Lol. ;)

Anyway, back on topic. Who is the latest to have had a 400 test drive and what did you think?

Possibly not news to anyone but the last Evora 400 I drove was the orange one at JCT which currently has a thread of its own. My conclusion afterwards was putting a deposit down on one!

Although I'd driven 400s twice before, I still wanted to drive it A) because it was a possible car on my list and B)I wanted to see if the car still felt "special" after a few drives. If anything, they feel even more special as you get to appreciate them more. True of all Evoras/Lotus no doubt

James Martin (JayEmm)

2 hours ago, C8RKH said:

I have absolutely no problem with lawyers that cannot be solved by a field, a sheep dog to round them all up, and a rather large bomb dropped from a fast jet. I know, I'll get battered by the animal rights brigade for that. Well, I don't care if lawyers have rights too....

Lol. Obviously just joking and I do not, unlike some governments and Presidents and many poloticians around the world, condone the dropping of bombs on civillians in fields, towns, villages or anywhere. Even if those civilians are lawyers!

hmmm - I know that this discussion would let to lawyers..... :-)

As I see a Lotus driving lawyer every morning (when I look in the mirror of the bathroom) I can just confirm:

-no Audi (in Germany the Audi drivers behave like BMW Drivers 10 years ago, generally speaking...),

-no Breitling,

(but: -several times asked why not bought a Audi or Porsche)

..............just a frost blue piece of plastic ;-)

Great choice Jay! Congrats ;-)

much better than any M4 could ever have been ... and ... expect to spend a lot of time answering questions every time you fill up gas or wash the car or ... ;-)

• Gold FFM

Most interesting M4 I can think of is a motorway with a few service stations which sell food.....

Only here once

• Gold FFM
13 minutes ago, Barrykearley said:

Most interesting M4 I can think of is a motorway with a few service stations which sell food.....

Barry. You call that stuff they peddle food. Really!  Ok Ok, I suppose you could get a handful of snickers, but that other stuff.......

• Like 1

So far for me the Evora wasnt even on the radar, as I wanted something pure and extreme just for fun ... no daily driver requirements at all and therefore was drawn straight to the Exige. Then the dealership owner handed me the keys to his car while mine was serviced - a Evora 400.

I must say now I understand much better what you guys like about the Evora. Great sound, very agile ride - despite the higher weight - and a decent amount of power. This could be a very nice daily driver is what immediately came to mind ... I must admit, I underestimated what the Evora can deliver.

For my profile, with just pure thrill and max adrenaline on road and track in mind,  my Exige still is on top of my list but the Evora made it up a lot higher than I ever imagined it could...

image.jpeg

• Gold FFM

Wow - and that quick they can even do a barrel roll !!!

i really would love a ride out in one

• Like 1

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Don't get me started on that iCrap stuff.... Never mind, see they gotten beat in court in China by a maker of leather wallets called IPhone, hehehehee

• Like 1

Chinese courts ... dont get me started on that ... last time I was in China I ended up with the worst upset stomach ... and I skipped the snake ... 

I test drove the 400 automatic yesterday. For reference I come from a 430 hp Exige V6. My comments:

- The 400 has an amazing sound

- Seat position is too high

- Upshifts are slow but downshifts are quick. I loved the fact that you can now downshift to first gear, it was restricted most of the time in the Evora S

- Had it on sport with exhaust button on, the crackle on the upshift is amazing, like a V6 Ferrari

- Interior is great, it was red alcantara, loved it

- Compared to the old Evora steering feel is closer to the Exige, that go kart feel

- I must say again how amazing it sounds

- Its more fun to drift than an Exige!

- Coming from the 430 hp Exige, I found it slow (it is a fast car, but just slow for me). Another 100 hp and it would be perfect. 

- Dual clutch please! Though considering the limitations of the torque converter Lotus have done an excellent job with the TCU

- Used to have an Evora S, the 400 is a huge improvement as an overall package

All in all very impressed, but still unsure if I want to trade my Exige for the Evora 400. Im a minority of people who find the Exige (fairly) comfortable for what it is and I love the way it just leaps forward and eats the asphalt. The 400's competition is clearly a Carrera, 11 times out of 10 I would take the Evora 400 over the Carrera!

Can't wait to see the roadster!

• Like 2

Thanks for the thoughts @goussama - I imagine after a 430bhp Exige most things are going to feel slow!

James Martin (JayEmm)

I felt the same coming from my 430 Evora to be fair. But what struck me with the 400 was how accomplished and complete it felt. That's not to say that the Komotec upgrade is not brilliant (because it is!); but its just an engine upgrade.... the 400 takes lots and lots of small improvements to build upon a much better overall package (albeit a slower one LOL)

To be honest the Evora was probably one of the slower (in a straight line) cars I tested - several others had over 500bhp. But the way it felt was sublime, there was a good sensation of speed but also it felt controllable.

I've been in some cars where if the traction control suddenly died you'd be crapping yourself, in the Evora I think you'd feel totally safe still. I'm not the world's fastest driver but when it comes to it I struggle to find many roads where even something like my M3 can really stretch its legs.

And, that sound. Holy hell. That sound.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

But then there is nothing stopping you putting the KT430 OR 460 on the 400 is there and no doubt KT will be working on 400 specific upgrades.

I'm surprised you did not decide to go Exige 430 to Evora 410. Surely a moe appropriate route?