free hit
counters
Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts - Page 3 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not my pictures, but as I now have a (tentative) collection date and everything seems solid, I'd like to introduce to you all the conclusion to my search. Some changes have been made to the car s

I come from Jap rally replica background (JDM scoob & evos). I change cars every 18 months, but have owned a '06 Impreza Spec C Type RA for 10 years, which is an absolute keeper for weekend thrash

Car is still on temporary reg, should be changing over next week

Posted Images

Nope. Blue 'coolant cold' light on the rev counter which goes out at some point. No actual readout at all. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

A light which goes out very fast too, I know it's fundamentally a fairly unstressed base engine but I really would appreciate a proper oil temp gauge at the very least!

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

I found the opposite, it took a decent amount of time to go out from cold and the lower rev limit stayed in place for quite a while.

To be fair, apart from my Esprit I've very rarely seen oil temp gauges in cars. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Interesting. My 993 had one, as have most of my BMWs. My 645, Z4 M and M3 all had one. I find oil temp much more useful than water temp.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

I don't see the need myself. If my oil is too hot - flash a light at me. If it needs topping up - flash a light at me. Otherwise, I'm too busy looking out the windscreen driving like a bat out of hell trying to miss all the numpty weekend drivers out thee for a potter.

Each dial weighs. Each feeder for each dial weighs. Each wire or connector for each dial weighs.  Ergo, according to the bible of St. Colin of Hethel, said dials and ancilliaries are superfluous, mere baubles and adornments to satan himself. Have  away with you....

If you want loads of dials, buy a Nissan GTR, apparently they have an instrument binnacle made by Playstation and an ancillary dial screen made by Nintendo - more than enough dials to keep you happy and more than NASA put in the Jupiter rockets and moon lander combined.

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Old school gauges :)

Centre console L>R

Clock
Fuel
Oil Temperature

Dash

Speedo
Oil Pressure
Water Temp
Tacho

CRW_1178_s2b18.jpg

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Lotus did it better ;)

images (1).jpg

zesprit.jpg

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I also quite like 66_Lotus-Cortina-MK1-DV-13-BQ_i08.jpg

They share handbrake positions anyway! (The Esprit and Fezza)

Edited by JayEmm

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

And the above is quite nice too, granted. I forgot how good the inerior of the Cortina looked ;) Still satans baubles though....

I disagree. In my experience most warning lights tend to come on a little bit too late. The car is only as good as its driver, and there's plenty of formerly decent cars ruined by people driving across the country with an oil warning light. But by the same token it's good to have dials so those of us who care can notice that the pressure seems off, or it's running 15 degrees hotter than yesterday, etc...

Maybe it's just me psychologically associating it with high-end marques!

James Martin (JayEmm)

It seems to me that many of the 'high-end' German marques have gauges which are designed to instill a sense of quality and order with the driver in that after initial warm-up they sit plumb centre no matter what. In other words they are damped to the point where any real changes are unlikely to be seen until they are extreme enough to flash a warning light. 

My advice if you want more gauges get an Android stereo and an App to display whatever gauges you like with data from the OBD port - probably much more accurate and real-time than the gauges fitted as standard by many manufacturers. I admit I'm a bit old-fashioned and would feel happier with some dials, but an OBD solution would keep me happy and that exists already.

• Gold FFM

Well if the warning lights are no use we should take them out too!

You'll realise soon enough I'm only 3 and a half and this is my Dads account....

• Like 1

The oil pressure gauge in one of my cars never moved with pressure and the water temp gauge in my Impreza stays in the middle unless it's either very cool or about to go pop! The temp on Torque shows it change but the needle does nothing! 

• Like 2

Evora NA

The gauges in the Porsche 993 were anything but robust. In actual fact, one did more harm than good. The car used a dry sump, and so the oil level gauge would only work properly with the car warm, running and on level ground. You'd have to stop, wait for a few seconds and then it'd bump up to the level. So many people got in and looked at it with the car stone cold, and then topped up the oil "to be sure" and overfilled it. Those engines had around 9l of oil in them anyway!

Not quite as bad as the 1972 911, they decided to add a flap on the side for easy filling of the oil. Unfortunately, it's in the same place most cars would have a fuel filler. That didn't last long.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Not sure about the Evora 400, but my Elise SC has an oil dipstick to check oil level.  So does the Exige V6 Cup R.  I think that's a great thing to have, and better than a light that comes on when it's basically too late to drive anymore.  BMW stopped the dipstick a while back unfortunately. 

I didn't check but I am fairly sure this has a dipstick. They're the only reliable method for checking oil. I understand why manufacturers introduced oil sensors, but I hate the fact they ditched the dipstick. It's a handy diagnostic tool.

Oil sensors can also be fooled - I've had my oil warning light come on a couple of times simply because I've parked a car on a steep enough incline for a few hours.

James Martin (JayEmm)

On public roads, low end torque rules because it come in handy so much of the time.  Peak torque in the higher RPM range is fine on a track, much less so on public roads.  

• Like 1

Personally, i do like guages. I accept that it's not so safety critical in a car, but in aviation, small guage movements can sometimes foretell issues before they become serious problems, which has certainly been useful in the past.

Though when my Merc was having overheating issues (2 year old car, 30k miles and needed a new head gasket) the guage would suddenly jump from normal, into the far red, which was pretty useless.

• Gold FFM

These are the gauges I like. :offtopic:  hahahaha....

imgres.jpg

I turned on BBC Radio Norfolk this morning by accident, they were doing a special on model trains...

James Martin (JayEmm)

I caught this today... some lovely shots and audio of the car, but are they driving the same car I have?

The engine sounds absolutely awesome even in that company, and the car is a joy to drive... very confused. 

I drove a BMW M4 the other day, the Evora's engine is far better than that - it might lack the ultimate fireworks but with the M4 I never quite felt I knew how much power I was going to get given.

If nothing else, you've got to give Lotus credit for making a car that looks absolutely at home alongside the 488, 675 etc...

Edited by JayEmm
  • Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

After a great deal of consideration, I decided to drop my consideration of the Evora 400.  As discussed in these posts, my main desire was a 4 seat sport convertible, since my Elise fulfills all my dreams for a 2 seat fast and light car.  I was hoping the Evora 400 roadster would be the answer, but I learned that the roadster won't be coming to the US, if at all, for another two years.  :(  I still have and love my Elise SC, which is the epitome of lightness and driveability.  After a great deal of analysis of what's out there, with the M4 being the closest comparator, i went ahead and got a Maserati GranTurismo MC Convertible Centennial edition.  Bianco Birdcage exterior (a white that glows blue in the sunlight) with a black interior with blue stitching.  The Maserati is at the other end of the spectrum in terms of weight and size -- it's a beast.  But boy does that engine sound great, it's absolutely beautiful, handles pretty well for the weight, and has a completely legitimate set of rear seats.  If and when the Evora 400 roadster shows up here, I am hoping it will give me a reason to trade in the Maserati.  Time will tell.

And now, no more non-Lotus talk.