free hit
counters
Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts - Page 4 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts

• Gold FFM

Lovely car BWex, Maserati has a "nice" brand and you're right they just sound so epic. Hope you enjoy it fully and that White is truly amazing, one parks near our London office.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not my pictures, but as I now have a (tentative) collection date and everything seems solid, I'd like to introduce to you all the conclusion to my search. Some changes have been made to the car s

I come from Jap rally replica background (JDM scoob & evos). I change cars every 18 months, but have owned a '06 Impreza Spec C Type RA for 10 years, which is an absolute keeper for weekend thrash

Car is still on temporary reg, should be changing over next week

Posted Images

BWex,

I don't know your sources, but Lotus has said in the past that the 400 Roadster is being designed with the US market in mind and the costs to federalize the roadster version of the 400 should be trivial.  Personally, due to the delays in getting the 400 to the US, I don't expect the Roadster to be introduced before the 2017 Geneva Auto Show.  However, I do expect that we won't see the same delays for the Roadster's introduction to the US that we have seen for the  400 coupe.  Realistically, I expect 400 Roadsters to start shipping to the US in late Spring/Summer 2017.  

That would still be a long wait and no one can blame you for looking elsewhere.  

Thanks all for the nice wishes re the Maserati.  The info I got about the roadster was from the representative of Lotus North America who was at the dealer with the car, en route to the NY auto show.  I pressed him a bunch about why and how, and he was pretty adamant that it's not coming for another couple of years.  He also mentioned that the cool interior offered in Europe for lotus exclusives wasn't available in the US -- the fabrics aren't approved by the US auto regulators.  He sounded pretty glum.  I am really hopeful because I agree that the roadster would be hugely popular here.

Here's a few pics of the Maserati from the dealer.  In one you can see the white looks blue.  That's not a reflection of something blue.  It's the paint itself turning blue in the reflection, an allusion to the traditional maserati colors of white and blue.  Pretty neat.  Unfortunately, no stick shift.  :(  I know Lotus and BMW (and maybe one of the Caymans) still offer manuals in the US, but not sure of any others.

IMG_4176.JPG

IMG_4177.JPG

IMG_4178.JPG

IMG_4179.JPG

IMG_4180.JPG

• Like 1

Congrats!!! A friend of mine has the same in black ... 4 seats, great look ... epic sound (in my opinion, one of the best sounding cars currently beeing made)... but it could be a bit faster ;-) ... even my X6M outperforms it ... at least up to 3 digit speeds ... ;-) ... 

• Gold FFM

Yes, but in your X6M you will look a drug dealer, pimp or well off yob Norbert. Sorry, but that is very much my personal view of that car, its image and the people who buy them..

Now in the Maserati, BWex will look like a successful guy with taste and when he is slowly cruising by little boys will wave and smile, whereas when the X6m guns past they won't even notice..... ;)  Sorry, I am terribly bigoted/prejudice I know....

BWex, hope to read on here that in 24 months or so you are enjoying your new 400 roadster.... :animier::animier::animier:

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Hey hey ... the X6M is my wifes car ;-) ... I hope she is not in the drug business... and if she is, I wonder why she then spends all my money ;-) 

Serious... I know its a polarizing car ... but I still like it for its design as well as for what it is capable of ... 

I don't want to get bumped off this Lotus test drive thread so let me first say that the Evora 400 and Maserati were both about the same engine sound volume -- both are crazy loud.  One difference is the pitch - with the Ferrari-built V8 of the 'rati, the sound is deeper.  Although, the Evora 400 does sound pretty deep for a supercharged V6. In fact, I think that the Evora 400 and Maserati are two of the best sounding cars I've heard in a while (I guess excluding various Ferraris that I saw (and passed in my Elise SC) at a track event that would cost more than 3x as much.)  I really would love to see the Evora 400 roadster come to the US, along with your the amazing Elise and Exige cars available in Europe.  I got the sense from the Lotus North America guy that right now it's a lot of headache for Lotus to convert cars in a way to meet all the crazy US regulations, and they have to balance that cost and time to do that with the need to sell existing cars and reap revenue.  At least they are thinking about the future of the company.  :)   And so I am....

As I mentioned, the closest comparators were the M series.  I had an E36 M3 years ago that I loved.  The current BMWs are not just heavy but they drive that way.  And I simply don't think I can buy a car where they amplify and alter the engine sound using the radio to make you think the engine sounds great -- which is what BMW is now doing.  :cry:  http://www.caranddriver.com/features/faking-it-engine-sound-enhancement-explained-tech-dept

On the other hand, and for all you single guys out there, at least one study showed that a revving Maserati engine sound has a biological affect on women.  I don't know if that extends to the woman you are already married to though.  I think that effect might be counteracted by her knowledge of how much money you spent (or wasted depending on perspective) on a car.   http://www.caranddriver.com/news/a-revving-maserati-engine-has-a-biological-effect-on-women-car-news

• Like 2

I was told by the dealer that a few orders for the Evora 400 were placed here in the US but that they were disappointed so far in the amount of interest being shown.

Though I always kind of liked the fact that I rarely see another Elise.  But that's not good for Lotus's business I suppose.

I don't see how Lotus could be disappointed with how well the 400 is doing in pre-orders, since the most "official" number out there is the latest article with JMG talking about a detuned 400 for the US.  In that one they say 250 pre-orders for the car.  When you consider the same article claims a sales target of 400 coupes for the 1st model year, having 1/2 your sales target sold prior to even delivering a single car seems awfully good.  That means you have the majority of your model 2017 year to sell another 150 cars to meet target.  And that is before anyone here has had much of a chance to see the car.  I know 2 of them are making the rounds across the country, but I've yet to see it, or drive it, and I have one on order.  I imagine once dealerships actually have their demo car to let walk ups test drive, they should be able to sell a few.  With roughly 40 dealers in the US, that's only 4 cars per dealership over 10 or 11 months.

That's very interesting, since the NY dealer was in fact expressing disappointment in what he was seeing.  That would, actually, be consistent with the fact that Lotus seems to do much better out West than out East here.  For example, they tried and failed to get a Lotus Cup East going here, whereas out west it's a decent race series.  Agreed that once the car is in stock, it should generate more interest.

And I also should note that our dealer did get the test car, and broadcast that they had it for test drives.  Only a handful of people showed up (including me).

How can the dealer be disappointed???  Lotus has done virtually no advertising in the US.   Unless you follow cars, you would never know the car even existed!  

Ok. Ok.  I'm just telling you what they said.  If most of those orders are from outside NY, doesn't do much good for the east coast folks.  I'm bowing out of this now, since I can't defend or explain the dealer's expressed feelings.

32 minutes ago, Ccd said:

How can the dealer be disappointed???  Lotus has done virtually no advertising in the US.   Unless you follow cars, you would never know the car even existed!  

It's ironic, round about 15 months ago I was in the States for work and saw one of the F1 races on an American TV channel. The advertiser buttressing each side of the ad breaks through the race was Lotus, advertising the Evora, which I recall round about then I read in the UK press was being withdrawn from sale in the USA until the next model year...

Talk to most Americans and they know next to nothing about Lotus and what they do know may not be good.  Financial troubles, assumptions about questionable reliability, very bare bones cars that are difficult to get in and out of.  The 400 is the first Lotus with the potential for broad appeal in the US and hardly anyone knows about it

I do recall bibs saying approx 350, which would be even better, but I was going based off of the lower stated number in the Article.  My dealer conveyed a similar number to me when he told me my car was being built.  No need to feel attacked BWex, we know you are only the messenger :respect:  And it could well be that Lotus in the NY area doesn't attract much fan fair and as such the rep wasn't feeling the love.

But like most of my American counterparts on the Forum, I've not seen much in the way of marketing.  One "1st drive" article that was a one pager in main stream car mags here, and it was lifted from a previous 1 take in a British mag.  Otherwise, everything I've found has been through Lotus's website ( :ermm:  ) or Youtube.

Pick your number, 250, 350, or somewhere in between, but I'd think Lotus HQ is happy with that many folks putting down 100K, sight unseen in many cases, for the new car.  I think by this time next year, Lotus will have some bragging fodder for sales numbers in the reopened US market.

So for me I first saw a Lotus when James Bond drove it underwater. Then, probably next, was Julia Roberts driving and explaining the Esprit is in Pretty Woman.  Next, was driving the Elise at Skip Barber racing school. Thats it. But that was enough for me to become enamored. Still am. The sad part is that a broad appeal in the US would require an un-Lotus-like car. So I do hope they settle into no more than a comfortable middle with edgy cars as well. I've never seen regular ads for lotus, and almost no one in NYC area has one or knows what they are.  

• Like 1

300posts in a month and you haven't bought one?!

Christ help @Bibs with his server bills once you do get one, your post count will be unbearable. :lol:

• Like 2

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

I see a change of username to stuno2 on the cards :D

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Just noticed oil sitting on the aluminum plate below the motor of my Elise.  :(:(  I'm so unhappy.  Just happened so I will need to figure out what's going on.  I hope this isn't my Elise being angry that I left the Lotus fold.

Hi Bruce,

its probably your Elise crying about the new Italian neighbor with the deep, loud voice ;-)  I am sure once she gets to know him further, she will fall in love with him ;-)

By the way - I do not blame you for leaving the Lotus fold with your choice of the Maseratti over the Evora Roadster (that not even is available in the US) ;-) ... the oposite is the case, I have to command you for your choice of the Exige Cup R and the Elise ... I lived in the US 8 years and I might have seen 2-3 Elise ... max... 

Cheers

Norbert

8 hours ago, BWex said:

Just noticed oil sitting on the aluminum plate below the motor of my Elise.  :(:(  I'm so unhappy.  Just happened so I will need to figure out what's going on.  I hope this isn't my Elise being angry that I left the Lotus fold.