free hit
counters
Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts - Page 5 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts

• Gold FFM
13 minutes ago, NW76 said:

Hi Bruce,

its probably your Elise crying about the new Italian neighbor with the deep, loud voice ;-)  I am sure once she gets to know him further, she will fall in love with him ;-)

Norbert

I wonder what the love child of that Maser and the Elise would look like?  Hmmm, might be an interesting wee sprog... ;)

47 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

All I can say is if it wasn't Easter Weekend then it might have been different!

Lol....

tyrekicker.jpg

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not my pictures, but as I now have a (tentative) collection date and everything seems solid, I'd like to introduce to you all the conclusion to my search. Some changes have been made to the car s

I come from Jap rally replica background (JDM scoob & evos). I change cars every 18 months, but have owned a '06 Impreza Spec C Type RA for 10 years, which is an absolute keeper for weekend thrash

Car is still on temporary reg, should be changing over next week

Posted Images

Thanks for the commiseration.  I emailed the Jedi Masters as DRS Racing (Kris Valdez) what I saw and they pretty much diagnosed it from my description.  Here's what they said.  Wonder if any of you out there experienced this:  "What happens is the crank case pressure builds up and pushes the tube out of block.  Seen it numerous times, more so with SC cars.  Might need to change the o-ring on the tube too.  Needs to be cleaned really well and make sure the bracket that secures the tube is fastened.  1-2 hours of work for expert."

In the meantime, now my head is spinning about what a Maserati/Elise love child would look like.  Maybe an Evora 400.... 

• Like 1

Does anyone know if it's possible to lower the standard seats in the Evora 400, or is replacement the only option? I enquired about 410 seats in a 400 but they said no.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

I can't see how they could be lowered.

they don't have spacers to remove etc.

the runners are actually very flat.

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

Yeah, I looked and didn't see an obvious way. Maybe it's an illusion due to the low front nose but I think you do sit far too high in the car

James Martin (JayEmm)

Surely it's only an issue if your quiff touches the roof?

Currently Owned: 2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400 'Hethel Edition' in Essex Blue, Red Leather, Red Calipers, Silver Forged Wheels
Previously Owned: 2010 Lotus Evora NA in Solar Yellow, Sports Pack, Tech Pack, "Heritage Edition" Recaro Seats

I think it is an illusion due to the low dash. My mates got a vantage, you're not sat any lower but the dash is higher so you feel lower. I suppose you could buy some generic non canon bucket seats and have them re-trimmed.

Gav

Odd as it may seem I find the seating position in a sports car is incredibly important to the feeling you get in the car. It contributes massively to your interaction with the car, in my experience

My last 911 had the Porsche racing buckets (which I believe are Recaro Pole Positions) and they were awesome.

Edited by JayEmm

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM
11 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

Does anyone know if it's possible to lower the standard seats in the Evora 400, or is replacement the only option? I enquired about 410 seats in a 400 but they said no.

I'm 100% certain that this has been raised just very recently on the numerous 400 threads - Bibs confirmed the measurements etc. (I'm too lazy this morning to find the posts) and the seat height is the same as the old Evora. However, the leather seat has more padding more padding than the alcantara so you actually sit about 1 inch higher from memory of what was stated.

Maybe just buy the 400 then you can tweak and fiddle to your hearts content! 

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Oh I sat in three recently - 400, SR and a regular S, my head was the same height from the roof in all of them. I don't think it's probably changed at all. I would just prefer a lower seating position. Something I can change I am sure but seems a shame as I really like the standard seat design

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Here you go, I found the quote so you knew the seats heights were all the same: (5th March - Evora 400 - Who has one - yours was the next post after this from Bibs.

Leather vs Alcantara seats I'd imagine. The leather ones are a little more padded (for luxury!) so you do sit a little higher. A little too high for me, but Alcantara is just right n9RU34XDyR4DfbvugUDspFTReF5vrIt2PHcCMCzY   

I mentioned this to the factory when I reviewed the car last year and they said that the point where your hips sit/pivot is exactly the same as the previous car but the seats do look higher due to the lower sill.

Maybe the Evora is just not for you as it sounds to me you're having to do a lot of convincing of yourself to make the decision. I think you'll end up in an M2 or M4.

With his spamming, you'd hope it's an Evora but I fear you're right Andy :lol:

31 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Maybe the Evora is just not for you as it sounds to me you're having to do a lot of convincing of yourself to make the decision. I think you'll end up in an M2 or M4.

I think one should always be thoroughly convinced before dropping £70k on something!

31 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

With his spamming, you'd hope it's an Evora but I fear you're right Andy :lol:

M2 does nothing for me, the M4 is very nice indeed but unfortunately fails massively on the sound department. Nice to know I'm seen as a spammer!

James Martin (JayEmm)

Haha, don't take it to heart it's a tough crowd here ?

Do what I did and make a bet with them asking them to give to charity when you do purchase one. I looked for 9 months before buying and found this lot really helpful with answering my zillion questions on that time. Most people seem to jump on one and buy it the next day. We are oddities taking as long as we do to buy a car following a mountain of research. 

• Like 1

Haha. To my mind, whether I actually purchase one or not is somewhat irrelevant. I KNOW the Evora 400 is a superb car and I would recommend anyone I know currently looking at either a Cayman or 911 (or for that matter, second hand Ferrari, a Jag, an Aston, etc...) to try one out. I'd say that's very good considering at the beginning of February I had never even sat in a Lotus before. I'm definitely a convert now, even if circumstances conspire against a purchase on this occasion. I go through cars on a fairly regular basis anyway, so there'll be a Lotus in my life at some point I can be certain!

Edited by JayEmm

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Yes, Stuart, I remember your purchase actually costing me money at the time ;)

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

zillion questions

I've just checked the server stats, it was 2 zillion. 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

I don't understand massive procrastination over car buying. At the very least you should be able to say yes you do want a car, or no you don't, regardless of whether you have the money or not. For example, I know I want an original GT40. Can I afford it? Absolutely not. Do I still know I want it? Absolutely yes. At times people can't even get that far and it becomes a bit tedious. If you can't convince yourself you want something, then to me you clearly don't.

Just saying. ;)

• Like 2

Totally agreed Colin, and absolutely zero doubt I WANT one. This might be the only time in my life I am able to spend this much money on a car though, so just making sure I won't deeply regret it. If I had unlimited funds there's several other cars I would have.

Also, I'm waiting on the money to come in which will enable me to act on my decision. Hence me hating Easter Weekend - if it wasn't for that I could have had a deposit down already - on something! Until that point all I can do is look, listen, test drive and analyse my decision. I'd much rather be out driving!

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Agree Colin. I want an original GT40 too! ;)  Just as a quick aside when I was in South Africa last year I was lucky enough to get a ride in one of the "official" continuation cars that are still made there - absolutely authentic and just stunningly beautiful and oh, what a noise.  You can get them shipped here fully ready to go, but you need to budget circa £115k for the exact spec you'll want. If I ever have the cash, even though it ain't one of Colin's, I'll be buying one just like this....

p2315.jpg

I was also fortunate about ten years ago to have a ride in a GT40. Belong to a dad of one of my mates at school. He'd found the bodyshell in a barn somewhere, turned out to be a spare but unused original GT40 shell. So he built a car out of it, Ford approved it as a GT40. Very visceral experience!

PICT000974d3.JPG

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

In my test drive, which was before seeing the seat height discussion, the height of the seating didn't even cross my mind.  There were so many other visceral experiences that were brilliant with the car.  Seating was fine.  And in my ultimate decision-making process, seat height wasn't a factor (it was driven by the factor of wanting a convertible).  Actually, I can't think of a situation where seat height has ever been a deciding factor on selecting a car.  Maybe I'm average enough height that I've never had a problem seeing over the dash, or banging my head on the roof, which to me would be the only reasons for that to factor to govern a decision given how many other things are important.

Nice GT40 pictures!  What a beautiful car.  But I hear the seat height isn't perfect.  ;-)

I've got in a few cars and said "this seat is wrong", the other half's civic is the worst offender - you feel very, very high in it.

I'm going to see if I can organise a back-to-back with an Evora and an M4, that will be very interesting. Quite different cars at heart but both appealing in their own ways. The Evora is certainly the winner on both looks and sound, no contest there!

Edited by JayEmm

James Martin (JayEmm)

My daughter bought a Kia Rio last week. The first thing I noticed when getting into it was how low you are able to sit after adjusting the seat to its lowest setting :thumbup:

HTH :P