free hit
counters
Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts - Page 7 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

Evora 400 Test Drive... Thoughts

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 733
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Not my pictures, but as I now have a (tentative) collection date and everything seems solid, I'd like to introduce to you all the conclusion to my search. Some changes have been made to the car s

I come from Jap rally replica background (JDM scoob & evos). I change cars every 18 months, but have owned a '06 Impreza Spec C Type RA for 10 years, which is an absolute keeper for weekend thrash

Car is still on temporary reg, should be changing over next week

Posted Images

• Gold FFM

No - just me as usual dragging it off topic.

So, to get it back on topic, we've just had a very long bank holiday weekend, come on, own up, who had a 400 test drive this weekend and what are your thoughts and when does it arrive?

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Not from my drive this weekend, but having looked at quite a few 400s I have noticed Lotus are making little improvements/changes here and there. For example, the gloss paint on the side for the black pack has become matt, with a thick anti-chip coating on it now. Not sure I like the look.

Also, the cars have gained a heat shield around the exhaust. Greg's hadn't got one but Stuart's did. Also noticed Greg's exhaust pointed upwards slightly, whereas Stuarts was level. They're obviously improving as they go along, which is good. Surely another benefit to building by hand.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

15 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

So, to get it back on topic, we've just had a very long bank holiday weekend, come on, own up, who had a 400 test drive this weekend and what are your thoughts and when does it arrive?

No drive this weekend, but I have watched all the videos and read the reviews a few more times :)

..........and still doing the man maths.

• Like 1

There's a few shots from the Dutch guys of the car giving it the beans through a forest and honestly, that's an advertising campaign in itself

James Martin (JayEmm)

9 hours ago, chylld said:

Over the past week I drove both the Evora 400 and the AMG GT-S, click for my write-ups.

That's the end of my test drives, final rankings are as follows:

1. Lotus Evora 400
2. Mercedes-AMG GT-S
3. Jaguar F-Type R AWD
4. McLaren 570S
5. BMW i8
6. McLaren 650S
7. McLaren 12C
8. Maserati GranTurismo
9. Lotus Evora S
10. Aston Martin Vantage GT
11. Jaguar F-Type S
12. Porsche 911 Carrera S (991.1)
13. Tesla P90D
14. Ferrari California

Almost settled on my Evora 400 spec :)

Thanks for posting the links to the reviews.  Really enjoyed reading them.

You're welcome, if you dig through that thread a bit, you'll find my reviews of all the other cars on the list.

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara

I read them all - hence the post :)

And that is one hell of a thread.

I was the happy owner of an Evora S, but am increasingly coming to the conclusion that a 400 (or if the gods are smiling a 410) lies somewhere on the horizon.

I keep making the mistake of going out in 400s (thanks @Bibs ) and every time I do I need to spend the next few weeks rationalising why my S is just fine... for now...

DaveC72:

That is a broad range of cars your drove.  Wide variation in practicality, 2 seater, 2+2, sedan to a wide price range.  By contrast, I've come to the conclusion that I need space for my golf bag, but not a rear seat and my price range is MUCH narrower.  As a consequence, my choices are much fewer as well.  My candidates are, in no particular order:

1) BMW M2

2) Evora 400 Roadster

3) Audi TT RS (IOW, keep my car and mod the crap out of it)

4) Porsche 911 GTS  (probably used)

5) Exige Roadster (this would be a long wait as the current Exige is not US compliant)

The cheapest choice would be to mod my current car.  There are turbo kits that can take the car up to 550-600 hp with a ton of torque as well.  The problem with mods is that you can rarely get much of your money back at resale.  In fact, mods can reduce the value of your car.  The M2 would be the next cheapest alternative, but all I see getting out of that is a newer car with a back seat I don't need.  Not very compelling.  The Porsche would be a good choice, but also pretty boring.  Hard to get excited about a Porsche, at least for me.  That leaves two Lotus cars in the mix.  I love the idea of a targa roof so the Evora roadster holds great appeal.  Just have to wait and see how it is executed.  Would love to see an Exige Roadster you could purchase in the US, but now we are talking about 2020 and a car that is completely speculative at the present time, so that leaves the Evora 400 Roadster as my top candidate.  The realistic alternative to purchasing the Roadster would be to mod my TT RS and drive it until the wheels fall off! lol!

Just to add to how the list was created, the cars have to easily fit a golf bag, have to offer a manual and be relatively low in weight.  The next gen Exige probably won't accommodate a golf bag, but the prospect of a 2500 lb sports with 350-400 hp is exciting enough that I would make exceptions for the Exige.  But to be honest, that car is so speculative at this point in time that I really should not have bothered to include it on the list.

1 hour ago, Ccd said:

DaveC72:

That is a broad range of cars your drove.  Wide variation in practicality, 2 seater, 2+2, sedan to a wide price range.  By contrast, I've come to the conclusion that I need space for my golf bag, but not a rear seat and my price range is MUCH narrower.  As a consequence, my choices are much fewer as well.  My candidates are, in no particular order:

1) BMW M2

2) Evora 400 Roadster

3) Audi TT RS (IOW, keep my car and mod the crap out of it)

4) Porsche 911 GTS  (probably used)

5) Exige Roadster (this would be a long wait as the current Exige is not US compliant)

The cheapest choice would be to mod my current car.  There are turbo kits that can take the car up to 550-600 hp with a ton of torque as well.  The problem with mods is that you can rarely get much of your money back at resale.  In fact, mods can reduce the value of your car.  The M2 would be the next cheapest alternative, but all I see getting out of that is a newer car with a back seat I don't need.  Not very compelling.  The Porsche would be a good choice, but also pretty boring.  Hard to get excited about a Porsche, at least for me.  That leaves two Lotus cars in the mix.  I love the idea of a targa roof so the Evora roadster holds great appeal.  Just have to wait and see how it is executed.  Would love to see an Exige Roadster you could purchase in the US, but now we are talking about 2020 and a car that is completely speculative at the present time, so that leaves the Evora 400 Roadster as my top candidate.  The realistic alternative to purchasing the Roadster would be to mod my TT RS and drive it until the wheels fall off! lol!

Recognizing I am repeating something from very early in the thread (for those just joining), Lotus North America said no Evora 400 roadster in US for at least 2 years. At this time, I took it off the list.

Another possibility for a lower cost holdover for two years while we wait patiently for the Evora 400 roadster -- which would also get you into a 4-seat convertible -- would be an E46 M3 Convertible.  That was one of my favorite cars that I had years ago.  Even better than the next gen M3 convertible (the E93).  The BMW car club Roundel magazine has ads for garage queens that are in great shape.

Unfortunately, a true convertible is not possible as my wife was in a bad car accident many years ago and she will not get in a convertible as a result.  I think I can sell a targa, but that is as far as I can go.

Very sorry to hear that.

Incidentally, I have the Exige V6 as a track car.  It is amazing.  When and if it comes to the US as a street car, it will truly be a car to behold.

Even more than the Evora, I would love to see a US compliant Exige Roadster.  If Lotus can make the Exige a little more user friendly while keeping the weight down, Lotus would have a unique car to offer the market.  For that kind of car, my golf bag can sit in the passenger seat!  

Since all Federal cars must have side airbags now, there are no seats available that would fit in the Exige with them. Complain to the NHTSA. 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

Maybe a dumb question but could they not be fitted in the doors?

Maybe some of these on the outside? As you can see you can colour code them to your car and as the Americans are used to sticking on those bloody stupid reflector thingies everywhere on their cars it is hardly going to spoil the aesthetics any more is it?

download (4).jpg

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

You know, I was feeling the love of our international relations.  We were bonding over our distrust of Trump and your pictures of that guy making faces, our mutual affection for Lotus, and British and American comedy.   :cheers:  :gathering:The forum even has an emoticon from one of my favorite Monty Python bits.  :fish:   But now you went ahead and said we can stick some boat balloon things on the outside of our Lotus and we'd be happy because we like seem reflectors everywhere.   Lest you forget, yours is a nation that produced this:

untitled.png

• Gold FFM

Yuck, what's that fugbucket!

No need to get rude! ;)

I had an extremely nice M4 on loan today. An extended write up will follow when I am not on a mobile, but long story short....

I'm not buying an M4.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

I'll be interested in your take.  As a current M3 (E92) owner, I also concluded I was leaving the M fold after I saw the M4 revealed a while back.  Several reasons, but on a strictly reactionary level, I can't abide playing an exhaust note filler on the the stereo...  

9 hours ago, Ccd said:

I've come to the conclusion that I need space for my golf bag

My requirements were somewhat similar - I need room for my archery bag (as well as my wife's). Hers is about 90x40x20cm, mine's 106x40x20. If I take the gear out of the bag (or got softer bags), it all fits into the Evora's trunk.

AMG GT and Jag F-Type can swallow the bags whole (just) and the 911 can probably also fit it as folding down the rear seats gives you 2 decently-sized parcel shelves. Maserati GranTurismo, Ferrari California and Aston Vantage trunks are probably also adequate. Even the Huracan will fit a big bag on the parcel shelf behind the seats:

34b1aec56a.jpg

The only cars that won't work elegantly for archery / golf gear are the McLarens.

2016 Evora 400 | Signature Silver on Red Alcantara