free hit
counters
Looking for an Evora - Page 2 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Looking for an Evora

swanny71

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

You're welcome Rich.

Hope your test drive of the NA goes ok tomorrow.

Keep asking us questions, it's why we're on the forum :)

Good luck with your search and keep us abreast of how you're getting on. 

• Gold FFM
Just now, swanny71 said:

Note to self: absolutely must not be tempted by the 400 demonstrator they have in.........

Easier said than done!

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

29 minutes ago, swanny71 said:

That's the one, do you know it?

Yeh, it's his old car :lol:

P/EX for a 400

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

2 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Yeh, it's his old car :lol:

P/EX for a 400

Interesting.

Tris... is there anything I need to know about the car?

I'm pretty sure it's an S that I want (having driven Dave's yesterday) but thought it best to keep an open mind.

cheers

• Gold FFM
33 minutes ago, swanny71 said:

That's the one, do you know it?

Owned it up until 2 or 3 weeks ago.

Great car, was a real battle with myself whether I was going to trade up to a 400.

It is in good condition, needs a service but other than that nothing significant to worry about.

When I bought the car, I test drove a N/A & S and for me there wasn't a big enough difference between the two to justify the extra cost and drop in MPG. I was doing a lot of milage at the time, and as daft as it may sound the extra MPG was attractive.

Never really regretted the choice, a N/A is still a properly quick car.

Tris...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

Come on then Rich...

... Did you buy it??

wot he said......:smoke:

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

12 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

Come on then Rich...

... Did you buy it??

No, not yet……Bear with me, it's a long reply.

First of all a big thanks to Ken at Snows Lotus in Southampton. Spent a couple of hours with him yesterday talking Lotus, Evora’s, TVR’s and cars in general. He’s a true enthusiast and a pleasure to deal with.

Ken if you are reading this, thank again, I’ll be in touch soon.

The silver N/A is a very nice car and in lovely condition for its age and mileage. It drove well and as many have said there is not much difference in the way the N/A engine punts the Evora down the road compared to the supercharged S. Also loved the interior, the cream leather highlights really do lift the cabin.

Unfortunately the silver car has a big problem, or rather I now have a problem – the 400.

Despite my best intentions to go nowhere near either of the 400’s at Snow’s, in the end I just couldn’t help myself. The demonstrator sat outside looked nice but I’ve never really been a fan of yellow cars and I don’t get the whole black pack thing. It hides the lovely crease line in the sills and to me looks a little bit cheap (apologies to those who do like it). Add in black wheels and it was relatively easy to ignore. Relieved (as was my bank account) I thought there’s no need to worry about the new cars.

But………

They also had a black 400 in the showroom. Holy crap that thing looked incredible and I began to wonder…….

Ken was more than happy to take me out in the yellow one and fair play to him he did ask “are you sure?” I suspect he knew what my reaction might be.

I have NEVER come back from a test drive wanting a car so much. James May occasionally talks about a fizz in his trousers when he likes a car? I never get that but I had, and still do have a tightness in my chest longing to own the car.

The engine/exhaust note is perfect with the bypass valve open and the gear change is now in a different league. It’s very quick without being OTT and the ride/handling is just beautiful. Build quality etc. are very good.

But the stand out memory is just how much confidence it gives you whilst communicating exactly what is happening at the tyres. I’ve never felt so comfortable driving a car so quick so quickly (if that makes sense). It’s a very, very special car.

I have some figures from Ken to mull over and my head now hurts thinking about it. The 400 is doable but a big financial commitment for us. The N/A would be nice but I think I’d probably either regret it straight away or end up changing to a 400 within a year or two anyway.

HELP!

• Gold FFM

Lol, what a dilemma to have Rich.  I suspect your heart has already made its decision and you are now merely rationalising it inside your head. I have no doubt whatsoever you will be behind the wheel of a black 400 shortly. I understand it is a huge financial commitment but as you said it is doable, I suspect you will do it.

I'm sure you won't regret the decision, but suspect, you are right and with the older Evora you will drive it everyday thinking it is not a 400. I say this as a very very happy and satisfied owner of an older Evora NA and unlike you, I have managed to stay away from my Lotus Dealer and NOT test drive a 400. However, all that will change in a couple of months when I need to take my car in for a service!  Though, having got to a stage in my life where I owe nobody anything for anything, including the house, i am reluctant to make any long term financial commitment that means taking on any form of debt ever again. So, my 400 will need to wait till the cash at bank = the purchase price.

Good luck and ,many happy days, however you go forwards Rich.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

3 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

Though, having got to a stage in my life where I owe nobody anything for anything, including the house, i am reluctant to make any long term financial commitment that means taking on any form of debt ever again.

We're lucky enough to be at similar stage in life and this is how my head is thinking.

My heart is not so logical......

• Like 1

'just leg it'.........

:ph34r:

(we owed no-one nowt.........until my wife decided she fancied a new house......oops.....we'll it stopped me upgrading to the 400....for the moment)

The Faster You Drive...The Slower You Age

(Albert Einstein  14 March 1879 - 18 April 1955)

• Gold FFM
13 minutes ago, swanny71 said:

We're lucky enough to be at similar stage in life and this is how my head is thinking.

My heart is not so logical......

Yup - I'd be similar, hence the reason why I have NOT even been in a static 400, yet alone had a test drive...

Nice problem to have and I wish you well either way. pics please when you've placed the order ;)

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

I would second the comments about Ken at Snow's, I really enjoyed my two hours with him last month.  I looked at the yellow IPS they had until recently and very nearly bought it.  Unfortunately I need my Esprit gone first which is not quite ready, and although the finance was doable to bridge my Esprit shaped hole I just couldn't justify putting myself under that pressure for a toy.  A case of the right car coming up too early and I had to pull out,

Had a look at the silver car last week myself, and though it's nice silver just doesn't do it for me.

If you are able to stretch it would make sense to get what you want now but I would understand if you decided to play safe.  The used Evora's are only now just in my reach so even thinking about a 400 would be a waste of time sadly!

Not me mate.........

It had the sold sign on yesterday but it is the car I blame for my current headache.

Supposed to be working from home today. Instead I've spent the entire day working a calculator and re-reading every word written about or re-watching every video ever produced on the 400.

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

lol - strong work!

I've been there on the 400, but then I'm already in an Evora so perhaps in better shape to do the sensible thing, not the thing that every cell of my being wants me to do!

That doesn't stop me from doing the maths on a semi-regular basis though.  I feel your pain.

On 19 March 2016 at 14:00, JayEmm said:

but it seems you won't really go wrong with any Evora.

Only thing I would really recommend is getting one with the reversing camera, which most seem to have - rear visibility is quite limited!

Brave advice. 

I wish I could offer the same advice..

If i were you, i'd start with an NA, and 'upgrade' (in inverted commas, as for me, the 400 doesn't add a lot over an NA, but thats another story) in a year or more. You won't lose anything on the NA. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, auRouge said:

Brave advice. 

I wish I could offer the same advice..

What do you mean by that auRouge? Have you had a hard time with yours?

3 minutes ago, JG220 said:

If i were you, i'd start with an NA, and 'upgrade' (in inverted commas, as for me, the 400 doesn't add a lot over an NA, but thats another story) in a year or more. You won't lose anything on the NA. 

For me there was a massive difference between the N/A I drove and the 400. Not just in a straight line but as an all round package. Such a different car!