free hit
counters
Looking for an Evora - Page 3 - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Looking for an Evora

swanny71

But you've only driven them as test drive, back to back.

I enjoyed my drive in a 400, but I didn't like it as much as my first ever drive in an evora (which was an NA)

I can see myself in a 400 on day (once i've budgeted for an interior retrim for it ;) ), but for now the NA provides all the performance and excitement i need. 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Gold FFM

I'm sticking with my slow depreciating NA for now. Then when the 400 is down to £45k at 3 years old I'll make the jump I guess. Currently, it would be my car plus £45-50k for a 400. In 2 years it will be my car plus £20-25k and that will be the sweet spot for me.  I'd struggle to justify more for what is basically just a toy for me. Now that the kids are fleeing the nest the wife and I can spend some quality time travelling, so I get to play with my reasonably priced toy and we still get to do 3 4 or even 5 holidays a year. Not a bad life really.

I think the 400 is a stunning car. It's shape has really grown on me and I very much look forward to owning one one day, but £75k for a toy is just to rich for me.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

22 minutes ago, JG220 said:

But you've only driven them as test drive, back to back.

I enjoyed my drive in a 400, but I didn't like it as much as my first ever drive in an evora (which was an NA)

I can see myself in a 400 on day (once i've budgeted for an interior retrim for it ;) ), but for now the NA provides all the performance and excitement i need. 

I know and that's where I made a bit of a balls up - test driving the 400. In isolation the N/A was very nice but the 400 has left a big impression on me. More than any other car ever including various Porsches, TVR's, Astons, a Ferrari 355, a Noble and various M cars.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

I'm sticking with my slow depreciating NA for now. Then when the 400 is down to £45k at 3 years old I'll make the jump I guess. Currently, it would be my car plus £45-50k for a 400. In 2 years it will be my car plus £20-25k and that will be the sweet spot for me.  I'd struggle to justify more for what is basically just a toy for me. Now that the kids are fleeing the nest the wife and I can spend some quality time travelling, so I get to play with my reasonably priced toy and we still get to do 3 4 or even 5 holidays a year. Not a bad life really.

I think the 400 is a stunning car. It's shape has really grown on me and I very much look forward to owning one one day, but £75k for a toy is just to rich for me.

Depreciation is my main concern. Although the money would be spent I'd still have an asset should anything happen and I need to release the funds. How much that asset is worth if whatever happens, happens is what I have to feel comfortable with.

note: despite a string of relatively decent cars I've always been cautious with money, this would be the biggest 'risk' I've taken.

• Gold FFM

I'm sorry Rich but 99.5% of cars are not assets - assets generally are things that either grow in value, or maintain value, and cars by there very nature depreciate.

I'm like you. Cautious, I have the money to buy a 400, but I won't commit that amount of money to what is a toy.  

Please don't kid yourself though that the 400 will be an asset - you will lose a lot of money on it if you buy new (NOT a Lotus specific issue or a 400 issue, just a reality of life when you buy a  new car). Also, if you think about releasing cash from the asset if you need to is not easy. Firstly, you need to find someone to buy it from you - individuals with £45k, £50k, £55k or £60k sat in the bank are not easy to find. So, chances are you will take it to a dealer either for them to sell for you (to a new owner who will require finance) or for them to buy from you for stock (to sell to a new owner who will need finance). The first option will yield more cash at the expense of taking more time. The second option will yield less cash but much faster.

This is exactly why I am loving my 2010 NA just now. I feel buying 11 months ago was just fate. I bought in at a great time I think for £30k.  2 years (ish) from now I'll buy into a used 400 I guess at around £45k. I'm very lucky, I can px my car plus £20-25k for a 400 at that time which I'd then probably keep for 5 years plus. Over those 2 additional years I will have lost £4-10k max on my Evora, not £25k - £35k+ on a new 400. That to me is a cautious strategy, but one that also delivers the smiles I need.  I don't use the Evora as a daily driver, so "new" isn't important to me and I'm confident enough in Lotus' ability to build cars that last to not have to worry about having a two/three year manufacturers warranty to back me up.

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

Put it this way...

In one year, Evora NA have dropped from £30k to maybe £29/28?
Evora 400 have dropped from £79,950 (launch edition prices) to £65k?

• Like 1

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

8 minutes ago, swanny71 said:

Pretty much any car is an asset (assuming it's paid for), usually a depreciating one though. :)

ETA - appreciate your thoughts guys, it's what my head is telling me anyway.

I agree, it's a depreciating asset, and still of monetary value, it's not as if you buy it for £70k and it becomes £0 once it's in your name on the V5...

58 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

you really think it'll be down to £45k in three years?? 

• Gold FFM

Agreed Jimmy - you are correct, however I am always nervous when people think a huge chunk of cash in a fast depreciating car is an asset. Technically, yes it is, but it is very difficult to turn that "asset" into quick cash without accelerating even further, over a very short space of time, the depreciation. Just like to keep my eyes wide open - unless I'm driving when I find keeping them closed stops me getting too scared when I approach the left handers too quickly :driving:

And yes, I do think the 400 will be down to £45k in 3 years (slightly ahead of current Evora S SR models that are three years old), especially if they continue to sell well!  It's all down to supply and demand in the end, so I am hoping and praying there are a lot of people out there who like cars, especially Evora 400's, as assets ;)

47 minutes ago, CocoPops said:

Put it this way...

In one year, Evora NA have dropped from £30k to maybe £29/28?
Evora 400 have dropped from £79,950 (launch edition prices) to £65k?

That's a bit of a useless comparison, you're comparing a car that has already done around six years depreciation compared to how much a brand new car has depreciated in a year. In six years a used 400 probably (guessing obviously) will do the same thing.

• Like 1

Not really, the conversation was about IF he had to sell.

So based on that, IF he had to sell what would he lose most on, in the short term.

On Order: 2021 Lotus Elise Cup 250 FE in Isotope Green, Red Alcantara Interior, Carbon Aero Kit, AirCon, Carpets & Mats, NVH pack, Cruise Control, Stereo, Red Calipers.
Now Gone2018 Lotus Elise Sport 220 in Metallic Blue, Alcantara Pack, Forged Wheels, 2piece brakes, AirCon, Hard/Soft Tops, Red Calipers, Stereo, Interior Colour Pack, NVH Pack, Carpets, Mats.
Previously Owned: 2016 Lotus Evora 400, 2010 Lotus Evora NA, 2003 VX220 Supercharged, 2001 VX220 Lightning Yellow
Follow my Lotus journey here: http://www.FaceBook.com/HandmadeInHethel

• Gold FFM

Lol - I understand that the guy, or gal (after all this is 2016 and unlike in some countries we like women to drive cars over here), who buys first usually takes the biggest hit. I like it because as the 2nd or 3rd buyer of the car, I take a less of a hit but still get the same driving satisfaction. I think as I've got older I've just become a tight arse ;)

5 hours ago, swanny71 said:

What do you mean by that auRouge? Have you had a hard time with yours?

For me there was a massive difference between the N/A I drove and the 400. Not just in a straight line but as an all round package. Such a different car!

Hi,

Not a hard time at all. My car was great but suffered a few of the known earlier faults. Nothing really bad but annoying things like leaks and flimsy trim. All forgivable because nothing this side of a LOT of money comes close to the driving pleasure and ownership satisfaction. 

Just like everyone on here I'm totally into Lotus and specifically the Evora. But the earlier cars did have issues that are well documented on here. None of them are show stoppers but with respect "you won't go wrong with any Evora" needs more information...

Its an amazing car but do your research and buy a sorted one for the right price ?

9 hours ago, Alfa2Evora said:

I spent 15 months looking and lost count of the number of cars I viewed before I finally parted with the cash. 

1 year and 14k miles into ownership, my 'chosen one' has never missed a beat and the only time it has been off the road outside of routine maintenance was the couple of days it took the bodyshop to apply the Sports Racer lookalike paintwork which obviously doesn't count against it.

Over my 40+ years of driving I've owned a wide variety of cars from old 'sheds' to brand new, but my Evora is far and away the most reliable (and enjoyable) of them all.

Patience has been well and truly rewarded.

Awesome. 

Forums tend to dwell on the negative side. There is so much more right with an Evora than wrong. Find one and enjoy!

I'm biding my time.. My current cars service pack runs out in 2018.. At some point in 2017 Ill be on the hunt for a 400 or 410!

They will be approaching 2 years and I will be there avidly researching (the man-maths, convincing the OH time... It's half the fun isn't it??!!) and ready to buy the right car ? 

Happy Easter?

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thought I'd update this thread as I've just today put a deposit down on my new toy. Appreciate all your thoughts and advice, but sorry to say I've going over to the dark side...............

Nope, not a Porker, an Exige V6 :devil:

Edited by swanny71
  • Like 1