free hit
counters
Looking for an Evora - Evora Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Looking for an Evora

swanny71

Evening All,

Thought I'd say hello in this part of the forum as well since I'm hoping to join your ranks soon.

Currently own a TVR Chimaera and love it but I'm just not using it anything like as much as I should. Some advanced man-logic helped me decide that an Evora (preferably an S) should replace it sooner rather than later. Problem is a lack of cars and as much as I'd love one of the many 400's that are available I just don't think I can justify the cost.

Hoping to look at a couple (Snow's and Westover) when I'm working in Southampton next week. Also had a chat with James at SW Lotus Centre (only 2 miles from home) and he's putting some feelers out for me.

If anyone down Devon/Cornwall has an Evora and is willing to let me have a look over their car and a chat about ownership it would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Rich

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Rich,

Keep an eye on the Classifieds on here as well as cars come up in there quite a bit as well.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

For forum issues, please contact one of us Moderators.

11 hours ago, ms69 said:

Was in North Devon today.

If you ever venture into Somerset you are welcome to come and have a look/ride in mine. (Not an S though)

Good luck with hunt for car.

20160318_094743.jpg

Thats almost a perfect a line up of cars. 

i've already got two, just need the middle one to complete the collection :D

Edited by JG220

3 hours ago, DaveC72 said:

Welcome to TLF.

If you're in Southampton this week, more than happy to let you have a drive out and chat about ownership.

Thanks Dave, that's very much appreciated, I'll send you a PM.

1 hour ago, JG220 said:

Thats almost a perfect a line up of cars. 

i've already got two, just need the middle one to complete the collection :D

I had a T350c a few years ago, fantastic little car but just couldn't make it work as a daily driver.

T350c lakes.jpg

15 hours ago, Stuno1 said:

Welcome. What's your budget there are a few s sports racers out at the moment. 

Budget is flexible for the right car, but trying to keep it below £40k. Not a fan of the black pack on Sports Racers (except on white) but accept I might need to compromise.

Watching Pistonheads, Autotrader, Lotus Approved, TLF classifieds - anywhere else to look?

• Gold FFM

The red "S" at Stratton Motor Company is a fairly nice example of an early car. Comes with the quirks of those cars, but they've done a fair bit of work to it. I drove it. Drives very well.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM

James - do you have an early car and have you experienced the "quirks" as an owner?  For christ's sake, can we stop the perpetuation of this bullsh!t please as it just feeds the non Lotus owners perceptions of Lots of Trouble.........

Many owners of "early" cars, me included, and a lot of them on here, are totally satisfied with their cars. Most of the "quirks" were ironed out years ago and are now just as much "urban legend" than anything else.  

Thanks.

Rich, good luck with the search and I hope you find the car you're looking for. Slim pickings out there but whether you buy a 2010/11 early S or a later S "SR" pick wisely and carefully and you will have many years of enjoyment. There's not a lot that is seriously expensive to go wrong. The toyota engine, gearbox and the clutch are all well proven and reliable. The interior is surprisingly solid and well made (based on people's perception) and as long as it has been well maintained I'm confident it will give you miles of smiles.  Piccies please of what you buy and look at - we love piccies here...

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

No I don't Andy - when I say quirks I mean the lower quality interior materials, and the dashboard design that I felt to be horribly unintuitive. I thought I would be kinder and call those "quirks" rather than "piss poor ergonomics", or "sub-standard materials"!

I thought as a thing to drive it was awesome, which is what really counts when buying a Lotus... otherwise I wouldn't be recommending it, would I?

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Lower quality materials - oh yes, you mean the door handles that were not wrapped in a piece of tiny foam and leather. You can't be talking about the leather on the seats and dash. As actually, it was a finer quality used by recaro on the earlier seats and meant it was wearing faster on th bolsters so they changed to a lower grade, but thicker, stiffer leather for the revisions. Some of the original Oyster interior cars still look fab some 5/6 years later.  The dashboard design hasn't changed at all until the 400. So what's the point there re older cars and newer cars? It's horribly unintuitive in them all - but then when you've owned one for a wee while it's nae bother at all ;)

Sorry if I sound harsh, but I do believe the proof is in the ownership and when I get into my Evora I don't see or feel sub-standard, with the exception of the door pulls as mine are moulded plastic and not covered in the thin piece of foam and leather - but then that's a £120 fix to get new ones from the factory. Hardly an issue at all.

By comparison, I had use of a 911 (997) for several weeks a few years ago, the car was new so slightly younger than my current Evora. The switchgear layout was unintuitive in my opinion, the plastics used were, well just plastics, and most of the metal touches were, well, errr, just chromed plastic! Whereas in my older Evora I have a real brushed metal dash and HVAC console, real brushed metal switches, etc. I guess it's all relative.

You've not convinced me, but then someone's perception is their reality so we can agree to disagree and still be friends :)

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

I *personally* really don't like the design of the interior of the earlier cars, particularly the seats etc... but it's personal taste. I know a lot of people on here much prefer them. It's a car that's half the price of a 400, is it half the car? Absolutely not. A nice S1 Evora is a cracking looking thing, for some reason I don't like them in pictures but in the flesh they never fail to impress.

If it helps I always seemed to rub Porsche people the wrong way too, as I really did not like the interior in the 993. It was hideous. I owned one for nearly a year, restored it and sold it. The 996 was a much better car, in my opinion.

One of the reasons I got generally disenfranchised with the Porsche lot is the general Porsche enthusiast was usually a stickler for OEM-is-best, and concours this and original fit that. The Lotus (and TVR) people are much more willing to accept imperfections (or just things not to personal taste) and their isn't so much of a stigma about changing stuff, improving stuff, or whatever. It's one reason I've been quite taken with the Japanese car scene of late. Modifying and making a car personal seems almost mandatory. I quite like it.

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

1 minute ago, JayEmm said:

I *personally* really don't like the design of the interior of the earlier cars, particularly the seats etc... but it's personal taste. I know a lot of people on here much prefer them. It's a car that's half the price of a 400, is it half the car? Absolutely not. A nice S1 Evora is a cracking looking thing, for some reason I don't like them in pictures but in the flesh they never fail to impress.

I agree, at some angles on film the car does look bulky - in the flesh absolutely gorgeous.

• Gold FFM
Just now, Frickin_idiot said:

I agree, at some angles on film the car does look bulky - in the flesh absolutely gorgeous.

I think it just looks a bit soft, the sharp folds and angles seem lost in pictures - especially on the front. That being said, I was never a fan of the F40 until I saw one in the Flesh. Some designs just don't translate well.

James Martin (JayEmm)

Back on topic! The beauty of the sr is that it had all the options included. But clearly you pay a bit of a premium for that. There are fully specced non sr cars out there so just look at what options you want and be patient! There doesn't tend to be a high turnover of these!

17 minutes ago, Stuno1 said:

Back on topic! The beauty of the sr is that it had all the options included. But clearly you pay a bit of a premium for that. There are fully specced non sr cars out there so just look at what options you want and be patient! There doesn't tend to be a high turnover of these!

I think "be patient" is the most important bit of advice.........but might be the most difficult to follow :)

• Like 1

• Gold FFM

I just had a sit in a sports racer, very very nicely finished and brilliant seats. I think the SR might be the sweet spot to aim for price wise, but it seems you won't really go wrong with any Evora.

Only thing I would really recommend is getting one with the reversing camera, which most seem to have - rear visibility is quite limited!

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

1 hour ago, JayEmm said:

I just had a sit in a sports racer, very very nicely finished and brilliant seats. I think the SR might be the sweet spot to aim for price wise, but it seems you won't really go wrong with any Evora.

Only thing I would really recommend is getting one with the reversing camera, which most seem to have - rear visibility is quite limited!

Limited rear view is being very charitable - camera is essential

• Gold FFM

Lol - even with the camera I find it hard to reverse. Good job I just like going forward flat out then! ;)

Re early car interiors: the aluminium door handles and door pins in my old 2009 LE were far better than the cheapo plaggy efforts in later cars. That's just miserly penny pinching by the Lotus bean counters. Ergonomics are equally poor in each. 

• Gold FFM

I envy the owners with the original door handles. Blooming lovely. If I had a CNC machine or whatever I'd love to make some new ones of out of a solid billet. Chances are though they'd turn out crap as I'm useless with my hands...

To stop Stu getting his plaque out again, I think this just goes to further demonstrate that when looking for an Evora you need to look at them all, and buy on condition and history, unless of course you're just looking to buy short term anyway.

On Topic.png

• Gold FFM

I have to say having read a lot but not experienced an early Evora, when I did drive one there was a lot which you would think was problematic but was actually fine - ingress/egress was easy, and the gear change was perfectly serviceable too.

One of the only real problems about being a small low volume manufacturer is there simply aren't that many cars out there - so if you are particular about spec or colour you may have to wait as others have said

James Martin (JayEmm)

On March 19, 2016 at 07:07, DaveC72 said:

Welcome to TLF.

If you're in Southampton this week, more than happy to let you have a drive out and chat about ownership.

A quick note to say thanks again Dave for your taking time this afternoon to meet up and talk about Evora ownership and especially for letting me drive your gorgeous car. 

Just got to find one as good as yours now and I'll be taking the plunge.

Pleasure to meet you mate, your're a gent.

Edited by swanny71
  • Like 2