free hit
counters
Series 2.2, is it worth restoring? - Esprit 'Project & Restoration' Room - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
olddave

Series 2.2, is it worth restoring?

Hi,

I am travelling back to Australia in 4 weeks time for a few weeks. I have in storage there, for 17 years, a Series 2.2. That storage will no longer be available to me and I have no where to store it, unless I spend money I don't have.

It is good mechanically, I replaced all suspension bushes etc. But the body and interior need full restoration. But I am wondering if the car is worth enough to restore. I was quoted £5000-£7500 for a full respray locally there. Is the car worth more here or there I wonder. I can ship it back for 

Anyway I am taking a radiator cowling out, it was missing and will get it running and drivable. I will have time to restore the interior, carpets, headlining and restore the leather seats,. But wondering if it is worth paying to get it resprayed?

Cheers,

David

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

If you have neither the time, cash or inclination I would be tempted to move it  on. The market for older Esprits, especially  a rare version like the S2.2, is very bouyant right now, so a good time to do it.

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Same as Loose Cannon says, if your having dramas with storage and not decided if you want to restore it or not i would say now is the time to sell as prices for the G cars at the moment seem to pretty strong and not many projects for sale. 

i wish you the best in what ever you choose to do, hopefully restore yourself but otherwise plenty of folks always looking for projects. :)

A

An S2.2 is now a very desirable thing. Worth doing either yourself or selling it on.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

The car wouldn't happen to be in Kew would it? I saw a 2.2 rolled out onto the street late last year that looked like it had been exhumed from storage.

i wouldn't touch it. Once you do, it will inevitably end up costing a lot more and taking considerable time. These cars aren't straight forward. Having said that, I'm really enjoying my full resto. 

Where did you get the price for a respray are they planning to paint it in gold flake? 

Get it running and see how you feel after that as to whether to sell it on or restore but for God sake don't break it for parts.

Good luck either way.

Regards Mike

"I am actively looking for an S3 Esprit project car anything considered"

To answer a few questions. 

No I would never break it, it is a days work away from running again and mechanically really good.

Not in Kew, in a 40ft * 40ft garage on a country property north of Melbourne.

I partly restored a Series 3 Turbo I had ( loved that damned thing ) so know quite a lot about Esprits.

My brother was a spray painter and meticulous, so I might take some days off and do the prep, get him to spray it.

I did the interior of my Series 3 so could do that too. I'll buy some carpets (who does wool carpets for S2? ), headlining material (source for this here in UK?) and a leather restore kit and at least do the interior, it is in the worse shape.

Wondering if it is worth shipping it back here? Cost me about £1300 to ship it but the market here might be more buoyant.

Thanks for the advice

Rolls I had a look at the pictures of your Series 2, the dash velour material is the same colour as mine, where can I get this from, assuming you have sourced it for your already.

Edited by olddave
Oops included the last post too

Id say it is worth bringing back. Did you see the clamour over that white S1 on ebay and the yellow one too?

Do it up original and it will be worth every penny.

Buddsy

"Belief is the enemy of knowing" - Crrow777

I would have to agree that the market in the UK may be better to move it on. If you were to look at carsales here, a few esprits have been on there for a long time. Maybe asking too much, or little known about them here. Not sure.

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

19 hours ago, olddave said:

Rolls I had a look at the pictures of your Series 2, the dash velour material is the same colour as mine, where can I get this from, assuming you have sourced it for your already.

I haven't touched my interior yet. Like going to the dentist - avoid at all costs!

• Like 1

Hi,

I am looking at this to recover the interior panels. I have leather seats, so how much will I need to cover dash, instrument pod, glove box lid, door panels and centre console. Since I can't just check out the car's interior, it being 11,000 miles from me currently, is this material also covering the area behind the seats, or is that carpet?

I contacted the supplier of this upholstery material - Microfibre material to see if he has enough of it.

I found a headlining material supplier - Grey headlining but am not sure if it was a light beige instead, hard to tell when it is so faded, along with my memory of the colour - closest to a light beige I could find Mushroom

Another question, I note that S J Sportscars list carpets for S1 and S2, any opinions on whether they are good or indifferent. Alternate suppliers for carpets , mine are a Claret colour I think, but had been replaced, Since the seats are the original red I assume the carpets matched. 

I have now seen the car, back in Melbourne.

The  paint is a disaster, terrible job, forgot that someone has sprayed over the pinstriping on the front guards! It is all flaking off and seems to be about 1/16" thick on the rear drivers quarter panel. Anyway, it is back back to gelcoat for a respray I think.

The clutch went straight to the floor, so need rebuild kits for the master and slave cylinders. Also will do the brake master cylinder while I am in there. Are the rebuild kits for a standard car that might be easier to get?

I'll get some photos tomorrow, but I warn you some might faint at the sight of them. Fortunately the interior is dry and the car has been in the dry, so hopefully not too much to be done to get it to start. My plan is to remove the cam covers, soak everything in oil and turn over by hand a dozen times. Also remove the Dellorto covers and see what is in the bowls, rust etc, just in case. I'll check each quadrant as I turn it over by hand to see if there is stiffness associated with the rings on a bore binding at the top. Any other hints?

David, i can assure you no members on here will faint :)  We have all seen photos of wrecked, neglected epsrits etc and a lot of members are also tackling restorations on these sorts of cars, me included :).  Looking forward to the pictures,   I myself for some strange  sadomasochistic  reason normally prefer seeing esprits in a state of disrepair, I think really because they still hold the hope and dreams of the owners to return them to their former glory.  :blush:

A

I enjoy that too - my reasoning is that it feeds my fantasy of a barn/estate find and being able to afford it. :)

I would also probably suggest giving your callipers a once over. Easy job and good for piece of mind. 

Here are some pictures I took for the spray painter to look at. Weirdly the front of the car from the doors forward and above the waistline right along the drivers side the paint has been trowelled on. The rest of the paint is original and in fine condition.

The tyres all pumped up nicely, all new tyres.

Will try to start it after turning it over by hand a dozen of so times, looking for catching in each quadrant, which indicates the cylinder that had the exhaust valve open might have got some rust from condensation. Here's hoping not. More pictures to come after the weekend.

IMG_20160423_153445.jpg

IMG_20160423_153354.jpg

IMG_20160423_151514.jpg

• Like 1

Even if it turns over David, I would not attempt to start it without changing the timing belt. That could be a disaster waiting to happen based on the photos you have shown.

Whereabouts in Australia are you?

All we know is that when they stop making this, we will be properly, properly sad.Jeremy Clarkson on the Esprit.

Opinions are like armpits. Everyone has them, some just stink more than others.

Hi,

I am in Melbourne for the next 1.5 weeks then back to London. We have decided to get the car going and restore it to a reasonable standard. We might try for classic car registration as it is only $75 p.a. for 45 days running per year. I have a new cambelt ready to go on.

Only issue is that you need a full roadworthy to be endorsed by the club. The rego scheme is excellent though.

i have a few good local contacts if you need a professional to get things done.

good luck with it.

Hi, I have a problem. I have a modern cambelt tension gauge, they use deflection and force, e.g. 3.5mm with a force of 4.5daN I cannot find anywhere on the internet if someone has converted the '95' on a Burroughs gauge to actual real physical parameters. Any ideas?

Edited by olddave
spelling