free hit
counters
Dreary car colours - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

As a civilisation we are completely losing our desire to be individuals. Whilst idly gazing out of the canteen window whilst my ready meal cooked I worked out that 67% of the cars in the company car park were a shade of grey/silver or white.

I thought the silver "hysteria" had finished after it had been declared the Millenium Colour, but its making an unwelcome comeback. Certainly I had noticed whilst driving how bad it had got but this was the first time I'd counted them!

Why are people so scared of colours in cars, clothing and interior decor?

In the garage no-one can hear you scream 

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

My previous daily runner was black with a full black interior (including the headlining) and my current one is silver with an E L James inspired interior which is why, when I went on the hunt for my p

Been toying with ripping out the avacardo bathroom apparatus for sometime now - Just mark my words - back into vogue surely any time soon as I keep telling the wife ?

Ronnie, please no!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is enough to make @Barrykearley finally top himself...

Posted Images

Blacks a bugger to keep clean, yellow looks fab but traders used to knock 1k of the price trade in, not sure if that  is the case now. I suppose people like silver as it is modern looking. :) I think in the world we live in today peple change cars so often they may keep that in mind for resale as a pink,purple hatchback,4wd etc would not appeal to future buyers. ?   Your guess is as good as mine but car companys like vw did try, remember the vw polo harlequin in the 90s :sick:

A

Been toying with ripping out the avacardo bathroom apparatus for sometime now - Just mark my words - back into vogue surely any time soon as I keep telling the wife ?

• Like 2

Always do sober what you said you'd do drunk - that will teach us to keep mouth shut!

On 22/03/2016 at 12:17, Loose Cannon said:

As a civilisation we are completely losing our desire to be individuals. Whilst idly gazing out of the canteen window whilst my ready meal cooked I worked out that 67% of the cars in the company car park were a shade of grey/silver or white.

I thought the silver "hysteria" had finished after it had been declared the Millenium Colour, but its making an unwelcome comeback. Certainly I had noticed whilst driving how bad it had got but this was the first time I'd counted them!

Ronnie, please no!!!!!!!!!!!!!  This is enough to make @Barrykearley finally top himself... :o

• Like 1

I tempted fate...now my Esprit V8 IS in bits...(sob)

On 24 March 2016 at 06:47, mayesprit said:

Avacado? That has to be worse than my old Pampas bathroom suite. I put up with earache for 18 years to change it before we finally moved house. Sadly, the ensuite is rose pink. Cue more earache, but I've made it 17 years thus far.........

Margate Exotics.

6 hours ago, ian29gte said:

.... I put up with earache for 18 years to change it before we finally moved house. Sadly, the ensuite is rose pink. Cue more earache, but I've made it 17 years thus far.........

I like your redecoration/DIY timescales, truly a man after my own heart.

Slightly OT but I find dreary cars go hand in hand with dreary people and dreary clothes. Not suggesting everyone goes around like a luminous cyclist, but i think Michael Portillo deserves a round of applause for his dress code.

• Gold FFM

18 year's. How the hell did you manage that. As for dreary colors. Try here in Atyrau, Kazakhstan where every other car is a Prado and they seem to breed over night and Yes, they are all White except when cover in the usual Atyrau mud.

Take a look at any manufacturers colour palette and you seem to have 3 sets of colours. Colours that have a nearly 100% guaranteed chance of resale or decent RV (silver,black,grey,white-since 2008, metallic blues), colours that are bright and more colourful than the first will still give a good RV but if selling privately may stick a little longer, and finally total personal choice colours which brighten the world no end but you really need to want to buy it but will sit happily on a forecourt or ad space for months looking cheery and bright awaiting that special somebody. There is a subset of the last group specially reserved for the colour brown. This colour has been touted by the fashion industry as the next big colour for cars for the last few years and is generally regarded as a very silly idea, but sadly some fashionista have bought their Porsches in this colour. 

Colours that are making a comeback are the reds, both solid and metallic and drop now into the first group.

Black n gold

• Gold FFM
On 22/03/2016 at 13:17, Loose Cannon said:

I'm amazed 1 in 3 cars in your company car park actually does have a color! When I look around here, both on the roads and in parking lots, it seems to be 80-90% of cars can be described as 50 shades of grey (i.e. anything from white to black). Guilty myself, with the Frost Silver Esprit and an Antracite Grey Range Rover... But not by choice, I would prefer red and green. But that seems to be the exception...

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

I'm collecting a new Mondeo on Friday, and agree the was a narrow range of colours available. I choose a nice metallic blue, after my current Mondeo, which is silver. I also think that people don't see silver cars very well. Well, the amount of them that pull out in front of me, I have been forced to come to that conclusion, anyway.

Margate Exotics.

15 minutes ago, ian29gte said:

I'm collecting a new Mondeo on Friday, and agree the was a narrow range of colours available. I choose a nice metallic blue, after my current Mondeo, which is silver. I also think that people don't see silver cars very well. Well, the amount of them that pull out in front of me, I have been forced to come to that conclusion, anyway.

Ian, Buy an old beat up landrover,  No one will pull out on you anymore, i promise :)

A

39 minutes ago, silverfrost said:

Ian, Buy an old beat up landrover,  No one will pull out on you anymore, i promise :)

Even better - one with three different colours of primer on the bonnet - not only will they not pull out on you but you will be able to see the look of terror on their faces as you drive at them past them in narrow country lanes :devil:

It's the dull interiors which people go for that really surprise me! In many ways, I'd rather go for a Carbon Grey car with a red interior than a brightly coloured exterior and a grey/black interior. Speaking personally, a Military Grey exterior with a red interior would be just about perfect! :blush:

As a second hand car buyer your hands are usually tied by the choice available, and choosing on mileage and condition. Hence my latest Volvo bought last month is...aaargh silver.

However when someone offers you a mint vehicle at trade price do you hang out for the the one-in-100 they made in fire engine red? For a special car like the Esprit yes, for the family truckster, probably not.  Ashamed of my own hypocrisy.

My other half bought a new SEAT a few years ago. As standard they came in white, I talked her into getting it in a special order blue (Alor Blue) - she was constantly being told what a nice colour it was and it made the extra outlay (about £450) well worth it.

I try and own cars in unsual/rare colours - makes them much more fun. My van is white, which I hate myself for, but it's a van. I seem to be quite fond of blue cars - my Peugeot was Met blue, I had an Estoril blue 330 and I now have a Laguna Seca Blue M3.

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com