free hit
counters
Caution - Engine & Ancillaries/Gearbox - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

This is a first for me, I was driving home, not far to go when I herd a thrashing from the engine. Turned off, stopped and inspected, the serpentine belt was delaminating. No problem only a couple of ks to go, if ti breaks I loose air-con and alternator, no issue, I'll carry on.

A very expensive error of judgement, part of the belt got drawn into the timing case, the belt jumped, took out 16 valves.

Not all is lost, just got it all back together complete with some Kent camshafts, not that expensive, and a gain in HP

I know it's a long shot, but I can't blame anyone but myself. The moral of the story, if the serpentine belt looks sus, change it NOW!

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Bloody hell, gutted for mate :o very,very unlucky indeed, glad you looked on the bright side and made the best of a drama like this and made an upgrade out if, fair play to you:)

Is this really what happened.

Roger looked at upgrades and found some he liked but couldn't rationalise them to himself as "necessary", then spent hours attacking another part of the engine to try and make it fail in such a way as to say "Well, it needs work anyway, so while it's out.....":devil:

At least it's not an engine where parts are made from rare metals and hand crafted by artisans who charge for their part of their soul that has gone into the parts, like the Esprit.

• Like 1

Blimey, that was a bit unlucky.. still on the brightside you gained an  upgrade :-)