free hit
counters
Help! Stuck in Paris - Interior/Exterior/Lights/Glass/Alarms/ICE/HVAC/Other - The Lotus Forums Jump to content

• Gold FFM

Not literally I should hasten to add, just my GPS.

When I switched on this morning, the first thing I noticed was that the displayed time had gone forward 2 hours instead of 1. Then when I accessed the GPS function it showed me to be located about halfway across the Pont Neuf and now, 6 hours and a 150 miles round trip later, I'm still there despite actually being sat back in my driveway again (near Edinburgh). The whole time, in the top left corner, it has displayed an image of a satellite dish bearing the legend "Autoconnecting to GPS receiver" and accessing the relevant 'techy info' screen shows that it has not found any satellites.

Hopefully it's something as simple as a loose cable connection but does anybody have any other thoughts before I (or perhaps more correctly, someone at Craig Moncrieff my local Indy garage) start pulling things apart? It's an Alpine INE-W920R by the way, fitted about 5 months ago to replace the OE 'Blackbird' 505 unit, and up until now it's been faultless - I don't use the GPS that often but it was fine the last time, about a week ago.

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.
  • Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Isn't GPS based on time,  eg the time difference between the signal time and your receiver shows how far away it is and you're now too far out? Perhaps setting the clock by tuning into a BBC station w

Given it happened today, it must be something to do with the switch to BST, if the time is not right then it will struggle to find satellites and make sense of any signals it does lock on to as the sa

Dave - from doing a bit of research this morning on the web (sat in the sun with my laptop - tough life - I would strongly suggest you consider the issue is actually a failed sat nav antenna. Aparentl

Posted Images

Isn't GPS based on time,  eg the time difference between the signal time and your receiver shows how far away it is and you're now too far out? Perhaps setting the clock by tuning into a BBC station will help? 

• Like 1

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

Given it happened today, it must be something to do with the switch to BST, if the time is not right then it will struggle to find satellites and make sense of any signals it does lock on to as the satellite ephemeris (orbit details) it downloads will tell it they are in the wrong place. I would check what part of the world the system settings think it is in, make sure it thinks it is in the UK and the time is right and then restart it. 

• Like 1
  • Gold FFM

I had the feeling that the clocks changing could have something to do with it but I can't figure out why it automatically updated to mainland Europe time rather than the UK time it was on before. I've manually adjusted it back 1 hour to today's correct time but it's still showing the streets of Paris. I'll go out again and try back-timing it another hour to GMT and see what happens then.

• Gold FFM

UPDATE: OK, it looks like a phone call to Alpine Customer Support on Tuesday. I spent over an hour out in the car trying everything I could think of to persuade it that it was actually in Scotland rather than France but to no avail. It recognises the coordinates for my home when I key them in and displays the correct location but it won't accept that that is where it is and keeps defaulting back to the centre of Paris and sets the time back to Mainland Europe (i.e. BST + 1hr) It still hasn't located any satellites and is showing zero signal strength no matter what time zone I set it to (I set up a portable TomTom alongside it as a 'control' and it found 8 satellites and a signal strength of 87%) so I fear that it may relate to an issue with the antenna or its cabling/connection and that possibly the clocks changing is a coincidental red herring.

Bizarrely, I now recall that last year a colleague at work had bought an unbranded portable GPS on eBay and it did exactly the same. He couldn't get it to recognise that it was in Edinburgh and showed that it too thought it was in the centre of Paris. With no technical back-up available, he never did get it to work and ended up returning it for a refund.

Read on android forums some GPS systems on phones default to Paris France when they have no location information. Doesn't help I know.

• Gold FFM
12 hours ago, Alfa2Evora said:

UPDATE: OK, it looks like a phone call to Alpine Customer Support on Tuesday. I spent over an hour out in the car trying everything I could think of to persuade it that it was actually in Scotland rather than France but to no avail. It recognises the coordinates for my home when I key them in and displays the correct location but it won't accept that that is where it is and keeps defaulting back to the centre of Paris and sets the time back to Mainland Europe (i.e. BST + 1hr) It still hasn't located any satellites and is showing zero signal strength no matter what time zone I set it to (I set up a portable TomTom alongside it as a 'control' and it found 8 satellites and a signal strength of 87%) so I fear that it may relate to an issue with the antenna or its cabling/connection and that possibly the clocks changing is a coincidental red herring.

Bizarrely, I now recall that last year a colleague at work had bought an unbranded portable GPS on eBay and it did exactly the same. He couldn't get it to recognise that it was in Edinburgh and showed that it too thought it was in the centre of Paris. With no technical back-up available, he never did get it to work and ended up returning it for a refund.

Did no one tell you your car had been cloned and you have the copy, the original keeps sending you data as it wants to get back to sunny Scotland. And not what someone from Margate said. Paris or Scotland. It has to be Scotland every time. I mean Margate of all places.

• Gold FFM

I agree, Scotland wins every time over Paris. Though don't be too hard on Margate, from some angles it looks very nice.... I'm sure that unlike in the North East of Scotland when you're on the beach in Margate you don't need to wear a wetsuit just to keep warm BEFORE you even get into the sea........

For those that live in or near Stirling the picture is of the seaside - and the light blue is the sky!     hahahahahaha - oh bugger, bet that lights the blue touch paper...

margatepa.jpg

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM
13 hours ago, Chris J said:

Is there a factory reset option?

There is, but all it does it sets all the user variables such as the types of warnings, the visual presentations, colours used, etc back to what they were in the box. It still remains resolutely stuck in Paris, :angry: .

• Gold FFM
45 minutes ago, C8RKH said:

.........For those that live in or near Stirling the picture is of the seaside - and the light blue is the sky!     hahahahahaha - oh bugger, bet that lights the blue touch paper...

margatepa.jpg

Ooooh, very posh. So that's what us 'inlanders' have been missing? .........and there was me thinking that a fun holiday on the Costa del Tayside looked like this.......:P .

seaside.jpg

• Gold FFM

Dave - from doing a bit of research this morning on the web (sat in the sun with my laptop - tough life - I would strongly suggest you consider the issue is actually a failed sat nav antenna. Aparently, it has some eleccy gubins in it and it is not uncommon for them to fail, hence, the head unit either not picking up / or picking up scambled GPS co-ords from the satellites and thinking you are somewhere else.

Oh and that picture was of two Dundonian lasses practising for the World Mud Wrestling championships after a day in the sun on the vino collapso.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Thanks Andy. I was coming round to the thought that it must be a complete loss of signal, either from the antenna failing (which will be a bu99er as it was a new one and took Craig a bit of fiddling to route the cable along behind the dash) or the jack plug connecter has come adrift (which hopefully won't be quite as much of a bu99er as the head unit should slide out relatively easily).

I don't use the GPS that much, in fact even when I do use it I tend to have it as a moving map display rather than actually paying any attention to the suggested route (I've got the voice directions disabled), but it's nice to have it there as a belt and braces back-up to my paper map reading skills. I've got a few trips to never-before-visited locations coming up so let's hope it's a quick fix. If it does need a new antenna, I'll need to get on the case soon as tracking down that one was like finding somebody sober in Dundee.

• Gold FFM

I usually just use mine for speed camera locations to be honest!  Craig Moncrieff and MMC use a company in Perth - who I used to put my full Alpine Sat Nav, DAB, etc in, on the recommendation of MMC. Their details are below and they could help you as they have a loads of stuff in stock.  They also put the DAB radio antenna into Al's Evora too.

CRS- Car Radio Services

9 Crieff Road, Perth PH1 2RS

01738 624058

• Gold FFM
14 hours ago, Sbfdave said:

Dave

Have you done the reset using a paper clip stuck in the little hole behind the removable buttons - that worked for ours one time it got stuck at the GTM in Alford for a couple of days.

Dave

No, but I shall go seek out this little hole you speak of.

• Gold FFM

FURTHER UPDATE: Mr MacPherson, Sir, You are a genius, a scholar and a gentleman. I owe you one - 'your' pin in the little hole worked a treat. Now all I've got to do is sit for an hour or so and go through all the menus resetting all my personal preferences but, hey, that's a small price to pay for having everything functioning as it should.

Cheers @Sbfdave

• Like 1
On ‎28‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 10:33, C8RKH said:

I agree, Scotland wins every time over Paris. Though don't be too hard on Margate, from some angles it looks very nice.... I'm sure that unlike in the North East of Scotland when you're on the beach in Margate you don't need to wear a wetsuit just to keep warm BEFORE you even get into the sea........

For those that live in or near Stirling the picture is of the seaside - and the light blue is the sky!     hahahahahaha - oh bugger, bet that lights the blue touch paper...

margatepa.jpg

Sorry to be pedantic, but that's Broadstairs. This is Margate:

rainy-day-in-margate-03.jpg

Technically yes, just couldn't find a shitty enough pic of me in my stripped out, paired back Evora in Margate! Ha-ha! They've made it look much better in recent years.

1 hour ago, Miguel said:

Technically yes, just couldn't find a shitty enough pic of me in my stripped out, paired back Evora in Margate! Ha-ha! They've made it look much better in recent years.

Inded. The local council's turd-polishing ability is first-class.

Margate Exotics.

When you do an update of the maps you make a back up of the device to a memory card. Does anyone know if it backs up the settings?  Would be good if you have issues like these. 

• Gold FFM
4 hours ago, Alan H said:

When you do an update of the maps you make a back up of the device to a memory card. Does anyone know if it backs up the settings?  Would be good if you have issues like these. 

That would be good to know as it would save a lot of time reconfiguring everything if it does. I was just about to install the latest updates (my recently purchased unit came from the Lotus sell-off and is running on 2013 maps) when the Paris incident occurred so now a certain amount of reluctance on my part has crept in. With it all working again, maybe I should leave it well alone for now.