free hit
counters
Rubber spacer beween rack and intermediate shaft and clamp from pedal box to column - Suspension/Brakes/Wheels/Hubs/Steering/Geo - The Lotus Forums Jump to content
nic996

Rubber spacer beween rack and intermediate shaft and clamp from pedal box to column

Hello people,

I'm reassembling my steering column and am missing the rubber spacer o the exposed spline from the steering rack. Does anyone happen to have one at hand? I wanted to make a new one but need to know the length of it. I'm told its a spacer to set the intermediate shaft to the correct place on the spline. Is that correct? 

Also, same subject but different area. The clamp on the base of the steering column that connects the pedal box to the column seems to clamp around the collapsing mesh on the safety column? Is that also correct? Seems like madness to me. I guess the clamp must be the correct diameter so as not to crush the column mesh when tightening but surely prevents the column collapsing in an accident in this area? Apart from the fact the the connection is effectively useless if it doesn't really tighten properly to the column. 

As ever, thanks in advance for any info

Nic.

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Surely the bottom of the mesh should stay put? The top section of the column moving forwards causes the mesh to concertina.

I can supply a picture and dimensions of the rubber spacer when I get home.

A picture and dimension of the spacer would be most welcomed. Thank you!

The bottom of the mesh would indeed concertina if there wasn't a clamp around it preventing it from doing so. Admittedly its only a portion of the mesh but I would have thought the clamp was there to provide stability for the lower section of the column by tying it to the pedal box. Not something it can do when its clamped around a deliberately weak mesh. Have inserted a photo for clarity. The yellow box is the approximate area where the clamp fixes to.

(sorry to the person whose photo I have borrowed)

esprit colum.jpg

The reason people use a crucifix against vampires is that vampires are allergic to bullshit - Richard Pryor -1971

The clamp should go at the end of the column. That's how it is in the service manual. In this image you can also see the bearing has been pushed out of the rubber spacer, as the inner shaft has come loose on this column.

Rack 1.jpg

The spacer is 14.7mm long overall. The outer flange is 3mm long.

On the inside there is a lip at each end, so the spacer is held in place on top of the bearing.

IMAG0137.jpg

I see how the clamp is now. Thanks for that. I must have something amiss because the clamp I have is longer. I will check it out.

I think we are talking about a different spacer though. I have added a photo for clarity. It's the rubber spacer on the Rack itself I am missing.

Thanks again for your efforts. I really appreciate it.

Regards

Nic

rack housing.jpg

Back to the bracket. I just compared your photo to the picture in the Lotus parts list and the parts list shows the clamp the other way round. It makes sense to clamp there on the column but on mine it fouls the pin for the connection to the brake servo link. That's why I am confused as to how it should be fitted. It looks like your brake pedal pin is catching the clamp as well.

Bump!

Anyone able to help?

Cheers.

Hi

I'm in need of the length of that rubber spacer, or bushing as well. 

So wouls appreciate if someone can assist. 

Thank

Lars

Nic

How did you set the lower universal joint?

Thanks

Lars

Hi Lars,

unfortunately I haven't set it yet. I haven't had time to work on the car for a few weeks. 

Anyone who knows how far the lower universal joint is to be slit down on the steering rack shaft?

I have replaced the lower u-joint and fased it correctly, but still have a kind of wobly movement.

Lars

The more I think about this setup. I wonder why Lotus decided offset the U-joints by 30 dgr?

It's something to do with, the rotational coefficient of the first UJ multiplied by the coefficient of the second*, and as it is probably (I cannot be bothered to do the maths) related to either the sin or cosin of the offset the 30 deg probably minimises the difference, so as to reduce the effect of the wheels moving more at that point than when at a greater lock.

* Any UJ when not in a parallel plane with give a different amount of output rotation compared to the input rotation, except at a full multiple of 1/2 turn.The more the angle the UJ goes through, the greater the difference in rotation. At some points, the output shaft will have turned slower than the input, at others it will turn faster, evening out overall.

8 minutes ago, andydclements said:

* Any UJ when not in a parallel plane with give a different amount of output rotation compared to the input rotation, except at a full multiple of 1/2 turn.The more the angle the UJ goes through, the greater the difference in rotation. At some points, the output shaft will have turned slower than the input, at others it will turn faster, evening out overall.

Thats way the U-joints has to be in phase with each other. Hence I do not understand the 30 dgr offset.

Anyway. I have phased the U-joint according to Lotus instructions.

But do still have to figure out how fare the lower u-joint has to be slit down on the input shaft at the steering rack.

Lars

No. That would actually equal this out.

Yes, if they overall effect is resulting in exactly no change of direction, so the steering column and the input to the rack are parallel. I've not checked but I think there's a very slight change of direction.

Thats correct. The unput shaft to the rack is a quit a bit angular.

Maybe this is the reason for this for the 30 dgr offset.

Im using a subsupplier for large driveshafts. On next occasion I will ask them out of curiosity.

Interesting stuff :-)

Still doesn't answer the original question unfortunately :-( 

I have an answer now. It seems I am missing a few pages to the service notes and I found the instructions to line up the UJs in another thread on TLF. The distance from the rack to the first UJ is set in the factory by the rubber spacer which makes assembly faster and fuss free. However, the shaft from the rack into the first UJ merely needs to be a flush fit which is easy to see for an amatuer with no production line clock ticking. The rubber spacer is simply not required. Thanks for all the discussion and replies.

Nic.