free hit
counters
Meanwhile, over at Tesla... - Lotus / Motoring / Cars Chat - The Lotus Forums #ForTheOwners Jump to content

Meanwhile, over at Tesla...

...they release details of their Model 3. $35,000 with a 200 mile range. Does nothing for me, but if you're in the market for a cheap to run, mundane looking mid-sized saloon car then this could be for you. There is an element of fervent and excitable frothing going on elsewhere on the interweb about this four wheeled iPhone.

Car Magazine clicky

Ce7ebcVWsAQIR3-.jpg

eeslamodel3-007.jpg?scale=down

teslamodel3-004.jpg

Upgrade today to remove Google ads and support TLF.

Could do with a bigger screen :lol:

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

It might help if they finally turn profitable by the time this should launch. 

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

The driving force behind the lower cost of this car are the batteries they'll be building themselves rather than outsourcing manufacture to Japan as is the current situation, in a $5bn factory they're building! Can't seem them being profitable for a looooong time! 

88 Esprit NA, 89 Esprit Turbo SE, Evora, Evora S, Evora IPS, Evora S IPS, Evora S IPS SR, Evora 400, Elise S1, Elise S1 111s, Evora GT410 Sport

Evora NA

For forum issues, please contact the Moderators. I will aim to respond to emails/PM's Mon-Fri 9-6 GMT. 

• Gold FFM

I quite like Tesla as a company - the cars seem to be alright, and the more work that goes into this tech the better it will be.

I think the minute they build a car that can be fully charged in less than 5 minutes (or mostly charged), we'll see a mass migration. Until then, it's fairly limited as if you're like me and don't know where you are going on a particular day they seem like a scary proposition

James Martin (JayEmm)
Director of Photography & Car Enthusiast

Follow my Lotus adventure online! www.jayemm.com

• Gold FFM

A few years ago my dad got a passenger ride in the Roadster - said it was incredible, fastest accelerating road car he'd been in, but almost like a turbo - nothing at all for the first second, then everything.

James Martin (JayEmm)

All the torque is from zero, there's no lag. @alan on here has one and a Model S too :)

Evora NA

On 1.4.2016 at 17:57, JayEmm said:

I quite like Tesla as a company - the cars seem to be alright, and the more work that goes into this tech the better it will be.

I think the minute they build a car that can be fully charged in less than 5 minutes (or mostly charged), we'll see a mass migration. Until then, it's fairly limited as if you're like me and don't know where you are going on a particular day they seem like a scary proposition

Considering the energy transfer  required for a 5 minute recharge I'm not sure i would like to be anywhere near that car when it is charging. Those charge cables would be glowing red and melting. 

• Like 1

If you have the choice between a Stairway to Heaven and a Highway to Hell don't forget the Nomex®!

Captain,  Lotus Airways. We fly lower! 

• Gold FFM

This is very rough maths.... but, the P70 has a 70KWh battery pack. It is fairly commonplace to find 63A 3-phase power in most industrial areas.

63A 3-phase delivers 3x 230v 63a streams. 63x230 = 45,000Ah. So we already have the cables required to charge a car in about an hour and a half. There are much more durable industrial standards but those I picked 63a 3ph as It's quite common.

The problem for me is that even the 90Kwh model only goes around 260 miles on a full charge at motorway speeds. I frequently do close to that or more in a day. So overnight charging is no good.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

It's slightly different than that - as most of the super chargers are DC and run at much much higher voltages so as to reduce the current........

it's the future Scotty just not as we know it

Only here once

• Gold FFM
19 minutes ago, JayEmm said:

This is very rough maths.... but, the P70 has a 70KWh battery pack. It is fairly commonplace to find 63A 3-phase power in most industrial areas.

63A 3-phase delivers 3x 230v 63a streams. 63x230 = 45,000Ah. So we already have the cables required to charge a car in about an hour and a half. There are much more durable industrial standards but those I picked 63a 3ph as It's quite common.

The problem for me is that even the 90Kwh model only goes around 260 miles on a full charge at motorway speeds. I frequently do close to that or more in a day. So overnight charging is no good.

You are also making a huge assumption that the local substation and associated infrastructure can manage more than one of these recharges at a time. What will more likely happen is the substation will go bang and you'll put out the lights and power within the supply radius.

This is the BIGGEST single thing the proponents of EV's forget. It's fine when there is 1 car per say 100 hundred streets. But when 100 cars per street - our aging, 60 year old distribution network, she just canny cope as Scottie would say.

Also, look at the interior on that. It is quite frankly totally hideous, totally pish, and can you imaging the PH and Journo comments if that was the inside of a Lotus. It would b laughed off the web. Seriously now! Looks like a modernist German Kitchen copy by Hygena or IKEA. Sick (and not what the youngsters think that means). I need to get off this fence, it's making my bum itch.

• Like 1

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

@C8RKH you are exactly correct. Most modern estates are built right on the limits of what is needed. Add in electric cars and solar Pv and it's causing chaos for the likes of western power round my way!!

Only here once

• Gold FFM

Absolutely correct lads, I'm far from a proponent of EVs myself for the general public.

I was at a conference in Berlin a couple of years ago where this exact point was raised. In Germany they are shutting down their nuclear power stations and going green, greatly reducing the surplus power they have available. But EVs would place a monster demand on the grid which it wouldn't be able to handle as it was.

Swings und roundabouts!

• Like 1

James Martin (JayEmm)

Evora NA

• Gold FFM

Bloody tree huggers!  We've got more oil than we can shake a stick at so the last thing we need is cars with batteries!  Tamiya have more than enough for everyone...

In fact they both start with a T, end with an A, and make battery powered cars. Sure they are not the same company..... ;)

imgres.jpg

• Like 2

Alcohol. Sex. Tobacco. Drugs. Chocolate.  Meh! NOTHING in this world is as addictive as an Evora +0. It's not for babies!    

The first guy to ride a bull for fun, was a true hero. The second man to follow him was truly nuts!   

• Gold FFM

Possibly worrying thought there Andy... if the car has the electronics and the ability to drive itself... then it stands to reason it could be driven by someone else, remotely. Interesting thought anyway.

James Martin (JayEmm)

• Gold FFM

Lol - I am just waiting for some one to buy a Tesla. Power up that huge screen, key in their destination on  the map, hit the motorway, put cruise on then get Angry Birds up on the screen - how long before they realise the car does not actually drive itself in cruise?  Let's just say I have no faith in the Apple generation.

And as for self driving cars - oh yes, that is really going to work when you also have people driving alongside who do the most subject of things. I've worked in IT for 30 years, and the bloody programming is not that good, believe me....

On 01/04/2016 at 10:12, Advantage said:

teslamodel3-004.jpg

Is that a Kitchen or the inside of a car? Hmm, hard to tell these days. Know which I'd rather be in, and the clue is that in only one of them you make a cup of tea - if you tried it in the car you'd flatten the battery, probably! ;)

images (12).jpg

3 hours ago, Bibs said:

Tesla model 3 is the new iPhone 4 ... I've never heard of a car being pre-sold in such high numbers the last count is now close to 250,000 cars ...

• Gold FFM
9 hours ago, JayEmm said:

Possibly worrying thought there Andy... if the car has the electronics and the ability to drive itself... then it stands to reason it could be driven by someone else, remotely. Interesting thought anyway.

A while ago some IT-guys posted a video of them controlling cars from a distance. The cars were standard, a Jeep Grand Cherokee and some others I don't remember. They managed to access the infotainment system and as that is also linked to the rest of the car took control of the driving: engine via the drive-by-wire throttle, steering via the electrical power steering, brakes via the ABS-controller etc. And also the doorlocks and windows via the alarmsystem. Sounds like a proper nightmare! An electrical car could be even worse, if you can override some safety features and overload the battery, it would be a remote controlled bomb.

I have made many mistakes in my life. Buying a multiple Lotus is not one of them.

As Bibs mentioned we own two (Roadster for 5 years and Model S for 2).  I doubt I will buy another non electric car, its nothing to do with being green it is that I love acceleration.   The instant torque of a fast electric car is utterly addictive.  The Roadster does 0 to 60mph in 3.7 and because you do not have to rev up / make noise you use the acceleration from every junction/set of lights.  The P90D Model S can do 0 to 60mph in 2.8 seconds - thats close to what the human body can cope with, your own personal roller coaster.

Charging has been great as there are so few electric cars - they are most suited if you have off street parking. Overnight at home we charge at 30A (which gives about 30 miles per hour of charge) is more than enough for most.  If going >250 miles you need to stop en-route at one of the superchargers which deliver 145kW for free.  That means you charge at about 400 miles per hour of charge Plug in at a service station, have a quick coffee and you have 150 miles extra.  Of course if they become a lot more popular then there are going to be huge issues with the grid.  EVs however can be part of the solution as with smart metering they can charge when renewables are delivering (sun & wind) and sell power back to the grid when there is no sun/wind.  There are issues with the grid & also issues with people dying from air pollution (40,000 early deaths per year in the UK / 20bn cost to the NHS, yes EVs still produce air pollution when some of the electricity is generated but its not in city centers).  No easy answers with a growing population.

BTW agree about the concerns with autopilot but is it amazing but scary tech.  I went half way around the M25 a few days ago without once touching the controls.  The car even overtakes if someone is going too slow.   I could have been in the back of the car having a nap.  Yes there will be accidents with autopilot cars, but there are also accidents with human drivers.  If a computer makes less mistakes than the human...  

Anyway, please do not buy an EV in case the grid does collapse and it ends my fun.

• Like 2

Another thought on the autopilot features, they work amazingly well on dual carriageways / motorways but struggle with roundabouts etc.  At the moment its just a driver aid, not a car that can drive itself with no one at the controls.  Before I used a Tesla with autopilot I would have said the days of self driving cars are at least 20 years away but now expect them by 2020.

When they arrive I want an Esprit or Tesla Roadster for the days I want to drive for fun.  I also want a self driving camper van.  That way I can climb out of bed in the morning in my boxer shorts & get in the van.  Whilst the van drives me to work I can have a shower, get dressed & have coffee & breakfast.  Time it right and I will be straightening my tie as I arrive in the car park at work.